New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827198 times)

Offline rapala47

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2160 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Fished out of Taft today, did o.k....lost two Pigs at the hole but did manage these
I have the ability to walk on water....therefore I am!!!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2161 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:01 PM »
I have only been catching walleys on oneida for a few years now, so i am far from an expert.I am really a novice, and trying to learn as much as i can.I rarely fish water over 25 feet, and not one of the 21 keeper walleyes today, or any of the walleyes I have caught and released in the last few years hsve had a bladder in their throat, nor shown any signs of distress.I fish light line for eyes, so it takes me awhile to get them up to the hole. Half of the walleyes today I hooked onperch jigs, trying to target perch.If I am lucky enough to catch 3 walleyes, I am going to try some new lures or tactics to see what works for keeper walleyes under certain conditions and in certain locations, or try and catch some perch or bluegills....I am not going to just go home.Isn' t that how you become a better fisherman? By Putting in your time on the ice, experimenting with different techniques to see what works and learn new spots.?I had a fun day, and I know how lucky I was too....hopefully all the released fish lived to fight another day.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #2162 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:05 PM »
I have only been catching walleys on oneida for a few years now, so i am far from an expert.I am really a novice, and trying to learn as much as i can.I rarely fish water over 25 feet, and not one of the 21 keeper walleyes today, or any of the walleyes I have caught and released in the last few years hsve had a bladder in their throat, nor shown any signs of distress.I fish light line for eyes, so it takes me awhile to get them up to the hole. Half of the walleyes today I hooked onperch jigs, trying to target perch.If I am lucky enough to catch 3 walleyes, I am going to try some new lures or tactics to see what works for keeper walleyes under certain conditions and in certain locations, or try and catch some perch or bluegills....I am not going to just go home.Isn' t that how you become a better fisherman? Putting in your time on the ice, experimenting with different techniques to see what works and learn new spots.?I had a fun day, and I know how lucky I was too....hopefully all the released fish lived to fight another day.
X2 Well said...I have been getting the Eyes in 22 FOW but they are coming up to 10-16 Feet like rockets to hit...they haven't even been feeding from bottom for me...I have had them chase it up to 6-8 Feet a few times...those fish never seemed phased by getting caught...

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline Cterp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2163 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:09 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Huge Lings lucky day caught my limit of perch so he got sent back
That's not a ling....its a Burbot..... nice one at that!

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2164 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:15 PM »
That's not a ling....its a Burbot..... nice one at that!

Ling and burbot are synonymous

Offline Cterp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2165 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Ling and burbot are synonymous
No, they are not the same....

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2166 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:18 PM »
fished 17 FOW off SE corner of Willard, ended with 3 keeper eyes and 27 perch between three of us, also threw back two pin pike and one dink perch, caught all my fish (with the exception of the first one) on black/metallic jigging Rap with a perch eye on the treble

Cringed when I saw those guys ripping through the water with the fan-cooled sleds.

Offline scott1805

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2167 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:20 PM »
I'm planning on making a trip up in the am, and was wondering where to go and be able to get safely across the pressure cracks? any info would be great im not looking for any secret spot just wanna get out and try to ice some fish. Thanks

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2169 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Finally popped my Oneida cherry today.. Got out of Constantia in search for eyes, and moved 4-5 times, didn't mark any fish, only managed to catch 3 perch between the 2 of us. Seemed like a very slow bite today. The water in my area was nuts, it was like my holes were a toilet bowl, and got a lot larger very quick.

Ended up leaving around 2:30 in the worst rain and fog. Learned a lesson the hard way today.. Always remember your compass! Tried to rely on Navionics on the phone which then died.. got lost in the fog for a while, and then ran into some really deep water on the ice which ended up filling up my sled with water, and making things that much more fun.. Finally found my way, but definitely a scary moment for sure. Even after getting skunked today I can't wait to come back and try it again. Definitely going to be tough for guys tomorrow standing in all that water.
Oneida Lake can make or break your day in a heart beat ... be careful ..

Offline Cterp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2170 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:28 PM »

Offline gymmie34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2171 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:34 PM »
I'm with ya cterp, a ling has a single spot on its tail and is more olive in color

Offline Guppiekilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2172 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:39 PM »
All I know is a ling/burbot taste great like lobster and a bow fin and snake head are garbage

Offline Cterp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2173 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:42 PM »
10-4 on that guppie!

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2174 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:45 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Huge Lings lucky day caught my limit of perch so he got sent back.

Awesome burbot! And even better on the release! I fished Lewis today and saw two burbots wastefully discarded on the ice..I walked over to one guy and asked him if he was keeping it, knowing his answer would be NO after watching him throw it fifty feet.so I brought it home.. These fish are good to eat..I dont understand why they get thrown on the ice.  Let it live if you dont  want it. I dont want to start a debate, but why waste.. ??? ??? ??? :-\ :-\

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #2175 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:59 PM »
thats because back in the day we were taught by the old guys that they were junk fish and they took all the food away from the walleyes and perch. everyone thru them on the ice for the sea guls. now that we have learned that that myth is not trure at all and a little too late there numbers have gone way down. i got one today and sent it back. i watched on the graph going all the way back down to the bottom.

"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2176 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:02 PM »
thats because back in the day we were taught by the old guys that they were junk fish and they took all the food away from the walleyes and perch. everyone thru them on the ice for the sea guls. now that we have learned that that myth is not trure at all and a little too late there numbers have gone way down. i got one today and sent it back. i watched on the graph going all the way back down to the bottom.

;D ;D :tipup: :tipup:

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #2177 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:18 PM »
I was at Lewis point today.  Lots of lookers but managed 8 keeper size eyes, countless shorts and 3 huge burbot.  The burbot were all caught on sonars just as it made contact with the bottom.  All of the burbot are back in the lake as no one around me wanted them.  The eyes i caught aggressively pounded the sonar.  Chrome perch color was the key.    20-30 fow

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #2178 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:21 PM »
Be careful out there lots of water on the ice and the holes/cracks are widening by the hour.  With all the water on the ice today a heavy layer of fog rolled in making visibility near zero. Bring a compass/GPS! 

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2179 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:00 PM »
wow guys and gals just want to say thank you to all who came by this weekend. we are very humbled by the response from all you.. I have a few number 5 jiggin raps left. I had a full wall yesterday but ummmm not anymore...i also have some 2's and threes...we also got in a fresh bait order tonight before we left. we now have giant buckeyes.....and...... finally small buckeyes. fatheads medium shiners and pike shiners...
get a good nights sleep we'll see you in the morning.
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2180 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:08 PM »
         Sorry if this has been covered before but I have a concern that maybe some of you could address.  I like most of you have always noticed that perch caught from deep water often have their swim bladder come up through their mouth and their eyes bulge out.  Do any of you have insight into what happens when these fish are released?  I know they appear to swim away fine but don't know what happens when they get under the hole.  Last year I kept some perch that I tried releasing into my pond and they couldn't go much below the surface and ended up dying because of this.
         I usually only get to Oneida a few times a year but have noticed that some of the walleyes have the same thing happen to them here.  IF these fish are harmed or killed it could be a concern for those who are fortunate enough to get beyond their limit and continue catch and release fishing.

That happened to me a couple times and since then I try to bring up the fish a little slower.  You may lose a few fish but it usually doesn't make a difference as long as you keep a tight line.  If it doesn't feel like a heavy fish I take my time reeling it in, now if it feels like a hog I want to keep,  I get it on the ice as soon as I can. 

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2181 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:20 PM »
A W2 or W3 chrome/blue (CHB) jiggin' rap was always my favorite for perch and I'd always add a larger treble to any rap. A #5 Glo Swedish Pimple always did the trick on the eyes while a #2 Glo Pimple worked for the perch AND the occasional walleye. Add a dropshot nymph a foot or so above the bottom lure and catch 2 perch at a time. ;) Awesome fish fellas and Polar Bear...it's all been said already... :o what did that pig way anyways? Dug

Offline #hardwaterisbest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2182 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Who plans on fishing in the morning? I didn't get out today and just making sure its good to go in a.m. thanks for info.
You don't need a power auger for 4 inches of ice!

Offline wert

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2183 on: Jan 12, 2014, 01:10 AM »
can you say lingcod!!!!!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2184 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:13 AM »
can you say lingcod!!!!!!!

nice wert haven't heard that phrase in a while , ;)
and if I get a limit of perch I stop fishing for them and in deeper water 30 ft you can blow eyes up to,and I'm not just talking about pins either and if you have time hear is some interesting reading, 
http://outdoorcanada.ca/10516/fishing/tips-fishing/does-fizzing-fish-actually-save-them

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2185 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:57 AM »
Stopped at Bartel Bait 2 weeks ago & bought their last jet-sled. Not that needed one, but can never have too much gear. Nice guy  :thumbsup:

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2186 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:36 AM »
Looking forward to hearing today's reports and ice conditions...

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2187 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:41 AM »
Looking forward to hearing today's reports and ice conditions...

Sitting on the beach waiting for more light.  Started out and thought better of it.
Wish I brought the kayak could paddle out if that gives any idea

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2188 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:53 AM »
Sitting on the beach waiting for more light.  Started out and thought better of it.
Wish I brought the kayak could paddle out if that gives any idea

I thought it would be extra wet on top...it was wet coming in yesterday morning...good luck and be careful...it looked like open water yesterday from the shore with the layer of water on top...I look forward to hearing what you find out

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2189 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:12 AM »

just a little reminder some of the holes that flushed water all night maybe rather large so keep an eye on the younger kids

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.