New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Modified Drag on Eagle Claw ILIR  (Read 554 times)

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
Modified Drag on Eagle Claw ILIR
« on: Feb 12, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Last year there were quite a few posts regarding how "grabby" the drag is on the Eagle Claw In-Line Ice Reel - I experienced the "either on or off" syndrome and after a little studying came up with substituting a spring for the bent washer - and it worked (for me anyway) - lots more range and smooth - a good cleaning and oiling didn't hurt either

The size of the spring is dictated by the spindle diameter, depth on spindle required to make handle seat properly (it has to sit on shoulders of the outer spindle) and compressibility. A little trial and error is needed to get it right.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Modified Drag on Eagle Claw ILIR
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:40 PM »
That's real nifty,you should work for the company,can you speak Chinese? :roflmao:I guess there will be no more complaints about the EC inline reel.How did you come up with that idea if you don't mind my asking?Thanks for more problem solving on I.S.

FN

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2015, 04:12 PM »
No, don't speak Chinese, but did work in Taiwan, China and Japan over a 20 year period. How did I come up with it? I don't like things that don't work properly and I don't own anything that I haven't taken apart at least once.

Hope my solution works for others - another tip, put a drop of Loctite Thread Lock on the free spool release button - then you won't be searching in the snow for it.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2015, 05:37 PM »
thanks for the info

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Will have to work on that tomorrow. It will be too cold for this old fool to fish anyhow.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2015, 07:48 PM »
im thinking Colleen isn't going for that either KC

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.