The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice trips planned?  (Read 784 times)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Ice trips planned?
« on: Dec 10, 2023, 09:52 PM »
USUALLY I have all kinds of places I want to go, and not enough time to fit it all in. This year is quite the opposite. My wife and I welcomed our first child into this world in late July. So the wants to travel many places (especially after plenty of traveling during hunting season) just isn’t there, for me, this year.

I would like to make a trip back up to keyhole to get a meal full of crappie…God willing. It’s also a trip I can do with the family as we can just get a cabin to stay in. It would have to align where the roads were going to be good for traveling however. Plan B is hitting a lake in Utah or something for crappie or perch to scratch that itch. Gotta have at least one good feed of fish tacos during the winter!

The majority of my winter will be spent in the backyard, on flaming gorge, which is far from a bad thing.

Who has some big (or small) trips planned?
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice trips planned?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2023, 11:24 PM »
Congratulations, Trent, to you and your wife on your first child! I'll be doing my annual trip to Keyhole around the 2nd week of January and maybe another one there at the beginning of March. I would like to come down and fish Flaming Gorge as I haven't fished there since moving up to Lovell from Rock Springs 5½ years ago. I like to try and do one final trip, for a couple of days, near the end of the season, on Jackson Lake or Fremont, which is where I went last year on the 2nd week of April. My trips will all be "in state" unless I cross the border into Montana and fish Tongue River reservoir one time. I'll mainly fish the smaller reservoirs nearby along with Bighorn reservoir and Buffalo Bill. Boysen isn't too far so I may fish there once or twice.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2023, 08:27 AM »
Plan B is hitting a lake in Utah or something for crappie or perch to scratch that itch. Gotta have at least one good feed of fish tacos during the winter!
Rockport is looking good for this year from all of the soft water reports recently.  Echo is a big question mark at this point, but it hasn't been fished hard for a couple of years due to the rehab of the launch area.  We try to hit Rockport/Echo a couple times each week and will keep you posted on conditions through the Utah board.  We know both lakes pretty good.   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2023, 10:16 AM »
I'm going to do my normal, "Wing it" plan for the winter.  Spent a ton of time on De Smet last year and learned a lot. Not sure what to think this year. I need one more fish for my "Ultimate Angler" so I may spend some time at that. Perch or a cutty or a musky would probably do it. Back to Wing it
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2023, 10:56 AM »
I always think that I might take a trip and chase a northern on keyhole or the crappie but usually just stay close and chase the fish here locally. Would like to take a trip back up and fish Deaver again ad that was a fun little pond to fish and watching some of the you tube videos that prospector puts out makes me think it would be fun to hit that one again.
Appleye hopefully you get the one fish you need for your award.

Hopefully I will see some of you out on the ice this year.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2023, 10:59 AM »
I have a clue about northern fishing. Most people don't want to spend a day doing that. I'm sure we could figure something out with a little notice.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2023, 02:59 PM »
Thank you Glen. He is a little bundle of joy that’s for sure. Well most of the time. Sometimes he can be a bit angry 😂

Rockport is looking good for this year from all of the soft water reports recently.  Echo is a big question mark at this point, but it hasn't been fished hard for a couple of years due to the rehab of the launch area.  We try to hit Rockport/Echo a couple times each week and will keep you posted on conditions through the Utah board.  We know both lakes pretty good.   ;D

Rockport is on my list. Or pineview for crappies. In a perfect world I’d like to do both lakes. But a good over nighter on either lake is plenty good for me. I’ll be watching the Utah board and Facebook closely.
Trent Williams

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2023, 08:43 PM »
Wth an NFL game in the 1st of January and a cruise at the end I won't start ice camping until February so local day trips with the daughter will be happening. More than likely trying to hook up with Bob and Happyheber at rockport or echo.  Want to do an overnighter on Pineview but to park a rig there with trailer/ machines will run you $23 and it better be good ice for travel cause it's quite aways from the good fishing grounds,  TBD..... taking the wife and daughter next weekend to the little pond outside Randolph for some fast planter bow fishing
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2023, 10:11 AM »
Wth an NFL game in the 1st of January and a cruise at the end I won't start ice camping until February so local day trips with the daughter will be happening. More than likely trying to hook up with Bob and Happyheber at rockport or echo.  Want to do an overnighter on Pineview but to park a rig there with trailer/ machines will run you $23 and it better be good ice for travel cause it's quite aways from the good fishing grounds,  TBD..... taking the wife and daughter next weekend to the little pond outside Randolph for some fast planter bow fishing

Not nice camping until February!? Wow that’s unlike you!
Trent Williams

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2023, 10:30 AM »
Not nice camping until February!? Wow that’s unlike you!

I know right!! I'm down with the game. One of those bucket list things and I'll probably only do it once. Now the cruise is one of those happy wife happy life things. She's been great over the years having no probs with me running off with the boys ice camping every other weekend during the season so I didn't put up much of a fight with this one and I sure ain't going to the Bahamas in the summer time.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2023, 10:33 AM »
Oh you’ll enjoy those other things a bunch, I believe. What game are you going to? Show up early and take it all in! The atmosphere of nfl games are incredible. Can’t report on the atmosphere of a cruise 😂

You probably picked the right year for these things! This ice sure is slow going, and the forecast isn’t looming favorable!
Trent Williams

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2023, 10:43 AM »
Watching my Broncos in Vegas. So..... yes well be taking it all in. Got a killer deal on 12th row seats. Agree on our ice growth this year. Should be good to go by February for sure. Don't think we'll be spending as much time if at all in swim Beach area this year but honestly anywhere there works for us. We all kind of miss the blacks arm camping trips since we started really chasing the big boys around
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2023, 11:58 AM »
Watching my Broncos in Vegas. So..... yes well be taking it all in. Got a killer deal on 12th row seats. Agree on our ice growth this year. Should be good to go by February for sure. Don't think we'll be spending as much time if at all in swim Beach area this year but honestly anywhere there works for us. We all kind of miss the blacks arm camping trips since we started really chasing the big boys around

Nice! I couldn’t remember if you were a broncos fan like me or not 😂 . Been a rough few years. I almost pulled the trigger on the chargers game but didn’t…yet.
Trent Williams

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.