Author Topic: Jigging plastics for bass  (Read 8643 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Jigging plastics for bass
« on: Mar 02, 2003, 05:21 AM »
Anyone had any success for bass using plastics that normally catch them during open water?  I've done OK using jigging spoons and I've caught them by accident while fishing for panfish, but since when I open water fish I usually target LM and SM bass, I'd like to either learn from you guys or find some techniques on my own.  My ideas include:

drop shot rig
3" or 4" tube jigs
Senko style baits

Also, where do you normally find your bass in relation to panfish during the ice season.  I'd imagine that you'd find them in the same places that they hang out in the summer.

Any ideas???
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
Re: Jigging plastics for bass
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2003, 03:43 PM »
The lakes that I have been fishing here in Indiana almost of all the bass that I have caught and my buddies have caught have come where we have been bluegill fishing with jigs. They also have bee hitting the jiggin rapalas pretty good too.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2003, 03:48 PM »
AS far as plastics haven't tried any too date other than small curly tailed grubs.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2003, 12:16 PM »
hey bud a bass is a bass!plastics kill just remember the water is cold so you mite need a pause to get them to take.i have had good luck with large and small plastics of the jig or tube type.a peice of meat or some juice is a must in my opinion to complete the pakage.try a large tube stufed with a crappie minnow and riged to hang head down just a bit.dont give up too soon just keep hole hopin bud they will hit! nuthin like ziging when others are zaging,and just smile at the purists that think you are a nut.again a bass is a bass and 1/8  of the time they are hungery an 1/4 of the time they will take a snack :P have fun and do tell pls.  
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re:Jigging plastics for bass
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2003, 08:14 PM »
The metabolisms of bass really slow down during the winter, but they do feed still. They generally do not like moving much for meals, and smaller offerings that work for panfish are best. To catch bass you should fish primarly for panfish or walleyes. If there are plenty of bass in the lake you should catch some.
My favorite ice plastic is the custom jigs and spins shrimpo or ratso. I also like the cubby mini mites jig as well. For colors, white, pink, or orange work good. These plastics have tails that still wobble and pulse while you are resting the jig. Tip with a small waxworm.
Most bass I have caught however were caught on smaller jigging rapalas while fishing for walleye. The key is to find areas that have a lot of panfish or walleye, because the invertebrates and baitfish will be there. Thus the bass will, as they don't like moving much for meals in the winter.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2003, 05:05 PM »
Storm has a new ice fishing jig out that is awesome....they come in a couple sizes. I have two sizes.....the action on these things is awesome.
Just haven't had any good ice to try them out yet!!!!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2003, 09:37 PM »
All of the bass I have caught on the ice so far have come to hand on tip-ups except one which hit a small teardrop fished for bluegill.  My biggest took a very large shiner, and the rest all bit on larger baits.
t'pup!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2004, 04:19 PM »
We target them all day long on tipups with bait too big for the perch to hit. I also went out yesterday with the vexlar and a sweedish pimple. Pulled in bass to allmost 23" from a 15' deep weedline.  I was no more than 20' from shore! The bass took the smallest pimple they make. Try smaller waters of up to 20 acers max.  :'(
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Storm has a new ice fishing jig out that is awesome....they come in a couple sizes. I have two sizes.....the action on these things is awesome.
Just haven't had any good ice to try them out yet!!!!

And they are ... and the look like what?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:07 PM »
tubes can work but you gotta get creative with them sometimes, change the amount of weight to alter the action, wacky rig it or even rig it backwards just depends on the mood of the fish sometimes

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2006, 07:20 AM »
i catch the bass in the weeds when i fish for crappie during the day. i caught a 19 incher on a forage minnow with spikes.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2006, 08:08 AM »
1/16 ounce white jigs with white rubber tails work great for bass. Usually i just put a spike or mousie on the hook to give it a little bit of scent, but a lot of the bass i catch are while i fish for panfish

Offline freaknsweet17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • What Are you lookin at?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2008, 04:58 PM »
it works in the summer so it will most likely work in the winter

just let it hang for a while :)
ICE FISHING!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.