Author Topic: Eskimo/Ardisam Customer Service  (Read 7586 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo/Ardisam Customer Service
« Reply #30 on: Oct 23, 2019, 01:57 PM »
plus 1 here also

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Oct 23, 2019, 01:58 PM »
I still can't understand the bashing of Eskimo. It is no different than any other company. When they see a new product out that has this or that they changed to the new way. Why? Because it is better,not because they are late on doing so. Take for instance the auto industry. One company came out with the automatic back hatch that opens when you put your foot under the back bumper. Everyone is doing that now. Why because they saw it as a good idea. Can't expect last years model to be updated just because you don't have it on your model. And you can't expect every company to have perfect emplyees, it just doesn't happen.

In just about any other feature you'd be correct...but from day 1 this has been a missing safety feature, that they try to pony on customers as in "you need to be more gentle when getting a hole started". There were folks who have their boots cut up and almost lost toes, and it wasn't their first time drilling a hole either. Last year I brought the issue up to their reps at the St. Paul Ice Show, and they told me (at least the guys on the floor) that they know it is a flaw and to just be careful and don't push on the auger on glare ice. This year they fixed it, but they didn't remedy it for those that paid them for the flawed version. Again, their own employees knew of the issue.
Your example with cars is different, as you mention a convenience feature. Imagine if a car manufacturer knowingly omitted installing a safety feature. It'd be a nationwide recall and a class action lawsuit. I'm not saying Eskimo deserves that, but they have certainly could have been proactive and offer a sub $20 fix or upgrade program and call it "glare ice" accessory.

In my opinion the bit is a safety feature for some reason missing from version 1.

A sales rep in Scheels told me about a week ago that so many people returned the Pistol bits to them last year with complaints of wobble on clear ice, they aren't even ordering the new ones from Eskimo this year.  Don't know if just that store or system wide. I'd imagine they are a big account for Eskimo.....ultimately that is what needs to happen to manufacturers and I am glad people were returning them for those reasons. One thing these companies understand is profits, they listen to those, more than they listen to their customers.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Oct 23, 2019, 03:23 PM »
Well,I have used a lot of different hand augers and they all will skip across the ice if I tried to go fast(SAME AS USING A DRILL).  I have the Mini Nero with a drill and I know to go slow at first. Why,Because I have used other hand augers and know they skip. If I had bought the Last years version of the Pistol and saw they had a new better improved product this year I would chalk it up as "I should have waited." But since I had the Nero and use it affectively without the Clam plate there was no need to switch to the Pistol.
<===Lefty===

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Oct 23, 2019, 04:54 PM »
 I had it only skate once on glare ice and learned fast to to slow down and handle it. I warned anybody using the auger first about the skating or cut the holes myself. I won't be upgrading as i love this auger. To make it perfect would only take a small add on fix that I would pay for. This pic is of the 2018 model. If they made a point that could be bolted in with existing bolt it would be good.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2019, 06:31 PM »
mboss13 you are correct at my local Scheels I asked where are the pistol bits are they said they were such a headache they will not sell them always returned. The hand augers that are being converted to drill were never intended to work on drills however they work well but no company will say to use them even though they make adaptors why? because they do skip some depends on the brand etc. To have a product that is this dangerous and meant for drills to me is a failure of a company testing there product. My foot and ruined boots will never forget it. Drilled many holes in my time I should not need a manual on how to drill a hole Warning this auger may skip and cut your foot or other bodily harm you must go slow with it? Biggest cop out I have ever heard. I'm not a huge fan of Strikemaster however they did put a point on theirs right away I wonder in the future if they will make a synthetic style mora auger with a point any ways cant wait for the ice ;D

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 23, 2019, 06:48 PM »
So bottom line does the fix above fix or not and what does it cost?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #36 on: Oct 23, 2019, 07:21 PM »
A long time ago, if I remember correctly before there were power points on any drill...somebody welded a point onto their auger drill.  To me, people/consumer buys the next hype before they realize the hype will get them.

It's a lot like lures...

I still prefer the old green color over the red color...oh well.

As much as I like the thermal material...the heat weld on them is just plain stupid.  That goes for all of them shelters from all of the companies. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 24, 2019, 05:13 PM »
So bottom line does the fix above fix or not and what does it cost?
I wasn’t especially worried about the issue of the auger skipping for my sake, as much as I was about my Nephews using this when I’m no longer able to make it out on the ice. If they had an accident, their mom would probably come after ME with the auger. So, I went ahead and ordered the parts. (Including the flite and shipping: $93.28)
  They arrived today, and were fairly easily installed in under an hour. I took a small bath on the total price, but I’m all set.
   I know I could have sold the original, and gotten a new model, or a different auger, for that matter, but listing and selling an auger around my neck of the woods just seemed like more of a hassle than just getting the new parts. Plus, I like to tinker, so it was a fun install.
 P.S. Coldsnap has an auger cover to fit the PistolBit (8”) now

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #38 on: Oct 24, 2019, 05:44 PM »
I sold my 6 inch pistol bit for $125 bucks I was lucky to get that. If they had the upgrade for the 6 inch that would be nice but they don't around me there was 15 for sale on craigs list alone.

Hope all you sellers of last years Pistol bits realize you are now open to the same concerns you are accusing Eskimo of.
You're selling a product that you admit "could be dangerous if used improperly". Y'ALL BETTER CALL SAUL.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Oct 24, 2019, 06:21 PM »

Hope all you sellers of last years Pistol bits realize you are now open to the same concerns you are accusing Eskimo of.
You're selling a product that you admit "could be dangerous if used improperly". Y'ALL BETTER CALL SAUL.

<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Oct 24, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Considering Eskimo did not upgrade the 6 inch pistol bit it must be just fine so I can sleep well tonight. However I do feel guilty about the Ford Pinto I sold years ago ;D

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Oct 25, 2019, 08:18 AM »

Well, we are not the manufacturer.....selli ng second hand and "as is at time of purchase" falls more under garage sale rules. Ardisam is in the business of manufacturing and in this case skipping on known safety, and its agents admitting that it is a known safety flaw of the product (they have all been trained to claim the "go slow"). Additionally, "sell it to someone" is the official stand Eskimo has taken......when I tried to file warranty for the wobbling and running of the auger on glare ice, I was told to sell it and purchase the new one which has the safety feature on it.......hence the title of this thread
I assume because Eskimo chose not to stand behind that one, that's why so many people were returning them to the retailers, hence why Scheels will not even carry Eskimo Pistol this year (either model)

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Oct 25, 2019, 08:10 PM »
A giant auger with razer sharp blades spinning real fast on ice. Surprised thats even legal nowadays lol

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:20 PM »

@hardwater diehard - I found the center point retrofit solution here. But it’s gonna be about a hundred bucks.

You asked and got a negative person. There are people there (Shawn, a perfect gentleman) held my order until the center-point was available.
I just went to their web-site (geteskimo.com).  Parts ✔, Drill Auger Bits ✔, at the bottom "Pistol Bit 8"✔, Model Year 2019 ✔,
Item 11 #34385 Bottom 8" $44.45, Item 12 #34301 Hex Point $16.50.
When the items arrive remove your bottom plate and the first flite. Slide the new bottom plate on and fully seat it on the hex aluminum shaft,
1/4" diameter drill thru into the hex tube, the same from the other side. Deburr everything. Slide the new hex point in and install the provided
socket head cap screw with nut. Looks good.
Now remove the screw and hex point. Loosen the top coller (the one with the phillips screw).
Slide the flite you removed back on, cut and file it to match the new bottom plate, see the attached picture. If this is too complicated for you
you can order the factory modified flite p/n #33617 $19.60.
The top collar might line up properly. If not rotate it 1 hex and redrill for the phillips screw.
Put all the parts together and you now have a centerpoint Pistol Bit.

Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2022, 09:14 PM »
I'm an Otter guy, but I think Eskimo is right up there for quality, at least on their hub shanties.  I don't have much experience with the flip-overs.  I also think the auger guys are being a little unfair to Eskimo.  If you want the updated style, sell yours to offset some of the cost to get the upgrade.  I went through the same thing when I got my Otter Resort.  I well-documented all of the issues I had with my Gen 1 here on IC.  When the new one came out, I filed a warranty claim, and they still sent me the old one.  I simply sold that one, and paid the difference for the upgrade Gen 2 model.  It's significantly improved, and I've been happy ever since.  You can say the same about pretty much everything else any company makes.  They're always going to be making improvements, and you can't expect a company to retroactively update all previous generations of that product.  Does it tick you off when you plunk down a good chunk of change for a product, then they offer a better version the very next year?  Yes, absolutely.  But it's the risk of being an early adopter of new product.  I'm still salty the backup camera was standard equipment on the model-year after I got my Jeep.  It sure would come in handy sometimes...
The summer before last, I bought a brand new Lowrance Elite 9 ti2.  Not even a year later, they came out with the Elite 9 FS, which is way better.  They now have a glass screen instead of that chintzy plastic laptop screen and they now have Ethernet.  I should have sent it back and had Lowrance replace it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:43 AM »
@hardwater diehard - I found the center point retrofit solution here. But it’s gonna be about a hundred bucks.

Yes that is whole composite base plus  center point parts . You maybe able to use your existing compostite base and just buy the center point ..the composite base is held on by one bolt ..remove that base can be removed . The composite base may be able to be modified ..but cutting a slit on the bottom to accommodate the center point..$17 plus  s/h may be worth a try

Up close picture

e85 near me now

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:01 AM »
I think you guy's are a little unfair with Eskimo. Just because they saw the light at the end of the tunnel and upgraded their pistol bit why are they obligated to give out new ones to the people that bought them last year? That is like telling Ford/Chevy or any other dealer that you want the newer stereo system they didn't have on your truck you bought last year.
Catching Any?

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:05 PM »
Bad thread when new and still is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.