Author Topic: Eskimo/Ardisam Customer Service  (Read 7585 times)

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo/Ardisam Customer Service
« on: Oct 09, 2019, 10:39 PM »
ordered an outbreak 450i and one of their ice anchor drill adapter on saturday.  got the order number but no e mail.  thought weired but would call on monday.  fast forward to today.  called and got right in with sara.  told her my order number and she was going to do some checking for me.  had to put me on hold and check with another that had processed the order and we got cut off.  great just what i needed.  less then a minute after we got cut off she called me back.  wow!  never has that happened to me in any situation of this manner.  i had not entered my e mail correctly was the reason i never received my confirmation thru e mail.  bravo eskimo.  keep up the good work.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo/Ardisam Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2019, 12:50 AM »
I'm glad you had good service. Not to be a Debbie Downer but after the pistol bit issues with them I will never buy a Eskimo product again. There service with me was horrible. non the less I'm glad it worked well for you perhaps better customer service this year?

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2019, 03:32 AM »
I’m glad you were treated well. That hasn’t happened to anyone who purchased the 1st gen. pistol bit auger, and wants the upgraded point. We’ve been told to basically go pound sand, and then buy an entire new auger. If I ever buy another auger, it won’t be from Eskimo/Ardisam.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2019, 04:09 AM »
I think you guy's are a little unfair with Eskimo. Just because they saw the light at the end of the tunnel and upgraded their pistol bit why are they obligated to give out new ones to the people that bought them last year? That is like telling Ford/Chevy or any other dealer that you want the newer stereo system they didn't have on your truck you bought last year.
<===Lefty===

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2019, 04:17 AM »
You’re right.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2019, 07:42 AM »
I'm an Otter guy, but I think Eskimo is right up there for quality, at least on their hub shanties.  I don't have much experience with the flip-overs.  I also think the auger guys are being a little unfair to Eskimo.  If you want the updated style, sell yours to offset some of the cost to get the upgrade.  I went through the same thing when I got my Otter Resort.  I well-documented all of the issues I had with my Gen 1 here on IC.  When the new one came out, I filed a warranty claim, and they still sent me the old one.  I simply sold that one, and paid the difference for the upgrade Gen 2 model.  It's significantly improved, and I've been happy ever since.  You can say the same about pretty much everything else any company makes.  They're always going to be making improvements, and you can't expect a company to retroactively update all previous generations of that product.  Does it tick you off when you plunk down a good chunk of change for a product, then they offer a better version the very next year?  Yes, absolutely.  But it's the risk of being an early adopter of new product.  I'm still salty the backup camera was standard equipment on the model-year after I got my Jeep.  It sure would come in handy sometimes...

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2019, 10:47 AM »
I have dealt with Ardisam on 2 different occasions. One time for my Ion and the other on my propane auger. Both times I have been very pleased!
Always courteous and quick to get your parts to you!

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2019, 01:46 PM »
I'm an Otter guy, but I think Eskimo is right up there for quality, at least on their hub shanties.  I don't have much experience with the flip-overs.  I also think the auger guys are being a little unfair to Eskimo.  If you want the updated style, sell yours to offset some of the cost to get the upgrade.  I went through the same thing when I got my Otter Resort.  I well-documented all of the issues I had with my Gen 1 here on IC.  When the new one came out, I filed a warranty claim, and they still sent me the old one.  I simply sold that one, and paid the difference for the upgrade Gen 2 model.  It's significantly improved, and I've been happy ever since.  You can say the same about pretty much everything else any company makes.  They're always going to be making improvements, and you can't expect a company to retroactively update all previous generations of that product.  Does it tick you off when you plunk down a good chunk of change for a product, then they offer a better version the very next year?  Yes, absolutely.  But it's the risk of being an early adopter of new product.  I'm still salty the backup camera was standard equipment on the model-year after I got my Jeep.  It sure would come in handy sometimes...

You are not wrong and under normal circumstances I'd agree with you. When it comes to the Eskimo pistol though it is because of faulty design and dangerous cuts that can result from normal operation that caused the "updated" version. I believe that Eskimo got so many complaints about the pistol missing that center bit, that they fixed something they never foresaw doing. To save face, and mostly money, they claim it is an updated version, and they didn't even call it Pistol 2.0 (or something relevant to distinguish the difference in the two products). For that reason I am hesitant to make the upgrade, even though it could probably be an easy swap, of getting the new one on sale and selling last year's model for pretty decent amount.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2019, 03:26 PM »
You are not wrong and under normal circumstances I'd agree with you. When it comes to the Eskimo pistol though it is because of faulty design and dangerous cuts that can result from normal operation that caused the "updated" version. I believe that Eskimo got so many complaints about the pistol missing that center bit, that they fixed something they never foresaw doing. To save face, and mostly money, they claim it is an updated version, and they didn't even call it Pistol 2.0 (or something relevant to distinguish the difference in the two products). For that reason I am hesitant to make the upgrade, even though it could probably be an easy swap, of getting the new one on sale and selling last year's model for pretty decent amount.

I'm in agreement here. I didn't experience any frightening scenarios with my 1st edition pistol bit other than some initial sliding but could see how it could pose a safety risk. I would have been perfectly fine paying a fee for them to replace the cutting head with a safer product. In my opinion, this is different than a convenience feature such as slightly improving cutting speed or reducing the weight by a few ounces.

I've since sold the pistol bit and purchased a Strikemaster Lite-Flite. I made sure to make the customer service rep I was communicating with aware of the numerous folks displeased with Eskimo's stance on this 'upgrade'.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2019, 06:17 PM »
They designed a product that was very dangerous then they try to talk it off like no one only I had the issue I had the 6 and the 8 inch they are now gone got the lite flite auger also had 2 Quick fish 3's that looked like they were sewn up by a home economics school group. After the last one sent it back and said no more Eskimo. I also ruined a nice set of Artic pros I have ran augers for years the regular Mora on a drill was safer than the pistol bit I would never let my wife touch it for fear she could get hurt.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2019, 06:51 PM »
 I also ruined a nice set of Artic pros I have ran augers for years the regular Mora on a drill was safer than the pistol bit I would never let my wife touch it for fear she could get hurt.
[/quote]
Must be the color BLUE is safer than the color RED. The Eskimo Pistol is identical to the Mora. Blades and geometry of the end face of the auger bits are identical.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2019, 11:04 PM »
I would say you are correct the bottoms do look the same however in my experience the blue mora never skipped all over like the pistol does maybe because it's metal?

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2019, 08:28 AM »
I would say you are correct the bottoms do look the same however in my experience the blue mora never skipped all over like the pistol does maybe because it's metal?

We have 3 Moras and one Pistol in our group. All of them, if started slowly, work just fine with no sliding around the ice. On glare ice with extreme cold they all tend to spin around if started at high speed. A real razor on ice is the Nils.  I had one slice through a boot tip passing about 1/8" from my toe. I'm a coumadin (blood thinner) user and it could have been a disaster as we were a mile out on the ice.
Stay tuned for a update on a power point for old pistols.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2019, 07:22 PM »
I’m glad you were treated well. That hasn’t happened to anyone who purchased the 1st gen. pistol bit auger, and wants the upgraded point. We’ve been told to basically go pound sand, and then buy an entire new auger. If I ever buy another auger, it won’t be from Eskimo/Ardisam.

You asked and got a negative person. There are people there (Shawn, a perfect gentleman) held my order until the center-point was available.
I just went to their web-site (geteskimo.com).  Parts ✔, Drill Auger Bits ✔, at the bottom "Pistol Bit 8"✔, Model Year 2019 ✔,
Item 11 #34385 Bottom 8" $44.45, Item 12 #34301 Hex Point $16.50.
When the items arrive remove your bottom plate and the first flite. Slide the new bottom plate on and fully seat it on the hex aluminum shaft,
1/4" diameter drill thru into the hex tube, the same from the other side. Deburr everything. Slide the new hex point in and install the provided
socket head cap screw with nut. Looks good.
Now remove the screw and hex point. Loosen the top coller (the one with the phillips screw).
Slide the flite you removed back on, cut and file it to match the new bottom plate, see the attached picture. If this is too complicated for you
you can order the factory modified flite p/n #33617 $19.60.
The top collar might line up properly. If not rotate it 1 hex and redrill for the phillips screw.
Put all the parts together and you now have a centerpoint Pistol Bit.

Leave Some For Seed

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Thanks Damn Yankee, for getting someone’s attention at Ardisam/Eskimo. I’m glad I get the opportunity to upgrade the old pistol bit. I guess I have to walk back my awful thoughts of their company.

Offline Anderj85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2019, 04:23 PM »
You asked and got a negative person. There are people there (Shawn, a perfect gentleman) held my order until the center-point was available.
I just went to their web-site (geteskimo.com).  Parts ✔, Drill Auger Bits ✔, at the bottom "Pistol Bit 8"✔, Model Year 2019 ✔,
Item 11 #34385 Bottom 8" $44.45, Item 12 #34301 Hex Point $16.50.
When the items arrive remove your bottom plate and the first flite. Slide the new bottom plate on and fully seat it on the hex aluminum shaft,
1/4" diameter drill thru into the hex tube, the same from the other side. Deburr everything. Slide the new hex point in and install the provided
socket head cap screw with nut. Looks good.
Now remove the screw and hex point. Loosen the top coller (the one with the phillips screw).
Slide the flite you removed back on, cut and file it to match the new bottom plate, see the attached picture. If this is too complicated for you
you can order the factory modified flite p/n #33617 $19.60.
The top collar might line up properly. If not rotate it 1 hex and redrill for the phillips screw.
Put all the parts together and you now have a centerpoint Pistol Bit.

I was planning on doing this, and assumed it was possible.  Thanks for posting!

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Looks great and I am glad it is possible to upgrade it. The only issue I see with it is that to get the parts shipped I'd be looking at $78 plus tax and then the work. At that amount i'm almost thinking I can sell last year's model and get this years model during one of the many Black Friday deals, and end up with new set of blades and a brand new auger???

Unless I'm missing something the upgrade seems rather expensive?

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Looks great and I am glad it is possible to upgrade it. The only issue I see with it is that to get the parts shipped I'd be looking at $78 plus tax and then the work. At that amount i'm almost thinking I can sell last year's model and get this years model during one of the many Black Friday deals, and end up with new set of blades and a brand new auger???

Unless I'm missing something the upgrade seems rather expensive?

You're right. Then you also  have the option of the Strikemaster Lite-Flite (@ $20 less).
I thought $100 would be a fair price for the used unit. Advertising, finding someone 🤓 who doesn't care about the power-point,  boxing and shipping 👎.
I already had a new set of Mora blades, thinking the Eskimo blades would fail very quickly but NOT SO. I'm pleased with the conversion and hopefully all will go well.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2019, 10:35 AM »
You're right. Then you also  have the option of the Strikemaster Lite-Flite (@ $20 less).
I thought $100 would be a fair price for the used unit. Advertising, finding someone 🤓 who doesn't care about the power-point,  boxing and shipping 👎.
I already had a new set of Mora blades, thinking the Eskimo blades would fail very quickly but NOT SO. I'm pleased with the conversion and hopefully all will go well.

I see the used ones listed between 150-170 around me.....assuming you could get $120-130 for it on Facebook marketplace....than adding the 70ish saved from the conversion puts you at or above what would be needed for the version 2....probably less if purchased during DSG thanksgiving sale over the phone. Still great project and I am really glad it is possible.....Eskimo should credit you for making it possible....however it seems on the higher end of cost than what seems reasonable....too bad they didn't do like a $30 upgrade swap, I'd gladly send them last year's model for the new model. Do you think there is any structural challenge with the drilling? Like will this potentially snap on you when drilling through ice? I am sure Eskimo wouldn't endorse the mod I assume?

I do see a lot of  the Lite-Flites around me and stores have them up to the ceilings so I assume those will drop to about $150 by Thanksgiving.

I guess I will list my last year's model and see if I can get a reasonably decent money for it (won't sell it for less than $130) and go the Lite Flite way for possibly a better auger that has everything it should on version 1....if I don't find a buyer I'll just stick with what I have.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2019, 12:31 PM »
This remedy for the Pistol restores my faith in Eskimo. And you're right Shawn helped me out a ton a about a year ago also.Great guy!

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2019, 06:29 PM »
I emailed Eskimo if there would be a retrofit tip that could be added to 2018 model. They said no. To me it wouldn't be hard for them to do. The bottom plate on 2018 model is held on with bolt up through shaft from bottom. Remove that bolt and have your add on tip with hole in it. Install  tip and bottom plate all back on with maybe a little longer bolt.
   I'll have to work on that!! HAHA!
                                                              Thanks

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:41 PM »
I sold my 6 inch pistol bit for $125 bucks I was lucky to get that. If they had the upgrade for the 6 inch that would be nice but they don't around me there was 15 for sale on craigs list alone.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2019, 08:50 AM »
I talked to them again and Shawn forwarded me to a supervisor. I asked if there was any option of a buy up/return through warranty for the sole reason being the possible injury from wobbling of the 2018 model. The supervisor had me leave a message and was told I'd get a call back. That was a week ago.......

I've sold the auger since for $150.....they are listed right at around $170 on FB around me so it seemed like a decent deal for me and the buyer.

I have decided that I will not be getting the Eskimo Pistol again but will give the Strikemaster a try. Ultimately the "we will call you, but didn't" put me over the edge on dealing with Eskimo......Up until then I was thinking of just using the money to buy the upgraded version, but now I am out.....not sure if the strikemaster is a little heavier, but at least it has a center point on version 1 =)

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Hi
   The first answer to me why I emailed them was to take it slow and easy when starting hole!!!!!......Duh!

Thanks

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Hi
   The first answer to me why I emailed them was to take it slow and easy when starting hole!!!!!......Duh!

Thanks

Right, they keep pushing that solution, while knowing darn well that the true solution is the center bit. Hence why they are no longer manufacturing the non-bit 8" ones.....

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2019, 10:56 AM »

Like I said earlier the add on point for the 2018 model would be a cheap fix for them. I would pay for it to!

Thanks

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Like I said earlier the add on point for the 2018 model would be a cheap fix for them. I would pay for it to!

Thanks

Well, you can....it comes to roughly $70+tax + whatever your time of working on it is worth. Easier and cheaper to sell and buy something with a point, preferably not from these jokers.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2019, 11:35 AM »
I still can't understand the bashing of Eskimo. It is no different than any other company. When they see a new product out that has this or that they changed to the new way. Why? Because it is better,not because they are late on doing so. Take for instance the auto industry. One company came out with the automatic back hatch that opens when you put your foot under the back bumper. Everyone is doing that now. Why because they saw it as a good idea. Can't expect last years model to be updated just because you don't have it on your model. And you can't expect every company to have perfect emplyees, it just doesn't happen.
<===Lefty===

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2019, 11:38 AM »

What I meant was an add on tip only that I would gladly pay for. Not the whole bottom retro.

Thanks

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2019, 01:46 PM »
What I meant was an add on tip only that I would gladly pay for. Not the whole bottom retro.

Thanks

+1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.