Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

DMR Receives Funds to Improve Sea-Run Fish Passage and Economic Opportunity in D

(1/2) > >>

Anomaly:
More good stuff!!! "Maine DMR will partner with the Passamaquoddy Tribe, Woodland Pulp, New Brunswick Power, The Nature Conservancy and various other conservation groups on the project. “The tremendous sense of hope of what a restored river could be has spurred partnerships across tribal, state, federal, NGO groups, private companies, and the public to work towards restoration in the St. Croix watershed,” said Ledwin." https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MEDMR/bulletins/33ab746

Moosekill:
Most of the guides up around that area aren't very excited about this.  They expect the salmon fishing in West Grand to crash.

Anomaly:

--- Quote from: Moosekill on Nov 30, 2022, 01:20 PM ---Most of the guides up around that area aren't very excited about this.  They expect the salmon fishing in West Grand to crash.

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure, but aren't most salmon in WG stocked? 100,000 in 2021 alone. Given the $20 million in Mills' Admin. IFW hatchery enhancement, I don't see any diminishing stocking there or anywhere in the state. More likely is a large increase in hatchery effectiveness and fisheries opportunities. Lots going on!!  I've never caught or seen a non stocked salmon WG... I don't think the dam at GLS is going anywhere either...I know there's a fish ladder. Anyway, any baby alewives would add largely to feed in WG. I know about the thiamin issue too. Since the spawning of LL salmon is minimal in WG, and seeing the substantial stocking there resulting in the bulk of the catch at WG, then considering the LL salmon fisheries in East Grand and The NY Fingerlakes (both loaded with alewives), I don't see a crash following.  Knowing the increase in anadromous fish stocks and spawning and the more broad effect on a wide range of marine fisheries, I'd call it overarching win.

Steve H.:
East Grand is loaded with alewives?  I did not know this.  What about the dam in Forest City?

Steve H.:
Okay, did some digging and according to this article, it seems the alewives in East Grand were illegally stocked, not sea-run up the St. Croix. 
However, it does state that Spednic was impacted by sea-run alewives.

https://www.mrlakefront.net/newsdetails.taf?date=03/26/2008&link=alewives-had-measurable-impact-on-young-bass

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version