New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Wahooo! What a day!  (Read 6695 times)

Offline RochValerie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perchin'
Wahooo! What a day!
« on: Mar 27, 2005, 05:26 PM »
Well, we had a great day on the ice today...FINALLY (and just in time)!  We've had some really good times fishing this season (my first), but I did something today that I have been wanting to do for what seems like a very long time...actually catch some fish!  lol  Sam (Onyunn) & I went out to Lagrange Lake this morning for our last horah of the ice season & I really outdid myself (much to Sam's dismay!).  Caught 3 small mouth, 3 crappy, one really fat perch and a boatload of smaller perch...oh yeah, Sam cought a couple perch too :)

Just to maintain the smile on my face for the afternoon, we kept my first monster small mouth in one of Sam's famous live wells...he managed to keep his foot out of this one & that monster fish was NOT swimming out of a hole at the bottom like our little school of minnows that got away. 

The fish were biting all morning & we (or I guess I should say "I"...Sam, you gave me poetic license, sweetie) just kept pulling them out one after the other...it was great!  That first bass was incredible and the second a very pleasant surprise.  Things started to slow down by mid-afternoon & we decided to head out...after, of course, just one more try. 

Sam drilled one more hole and before he walked away, I pulled out another crappy and a small mouth!  It was fantastic...like that perfect connection on a golf swing after all those duds!

Well, needless to say this has made my day!  We even managed to get home without any off-road excursions! 

Hope you all had a great weekend and I'm looking forward to the trout opener...that is if Sam will ever take me fishing again!   :-*

"Every day is just one day...I'm just glad to be here, happy to be alive..." - TP

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wahooo! What a day!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2005, 05:57 PM »
Let me be the first to say congratulation's on taking Sam to School..... ;D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline onyunn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What's my name Bit**?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2005, 06:01 PM »
Indeed we had a great day.  (Even though she schooled me)

Yeah, so I didn't catch anything but a ton of perch, so what.....I got to stand back and watch my girlfriend, the ice fishing machine in action.  She did so well, well poised if you can say that about ice fishing.  She jigged, she pulled, and iced LOTS of fish.

It seemed like everytime she baited her jig, she pulled another one out of the hole.  Jigging just a few feet away at times, I had nothing and she was iceing fish hand over fist.  Amazing really!  Not only that, we also used identical jigs the entire day.  Must be that famed woman's touch!  I know!

While walking our gear in to the Lake from the car, she found a Wooly Caterpillar, you know the fat furry red ones, she said "I'll bet this will make good bait", sure enough it did, pulled out a few perch and a smallie before it was no more.

It was truly aesome to see her smiling as much as she was today.  We have fished some tough days this season.  We have walked in blizzards, hiked through deep drifts, slipped and fallen on the ice, fallen in live wells, driven off the road at Case, been skunked more than once, and still she perservered.  Today was her day, and I'm happy I was apart of it.  (Will I ever take her fishing again just so she can show me up, I think not!)

Perfect day to the end of our ice fishing season.  I'm sure I'll head out a couple more times, but the next time she and I fish together will be the trout opener.  Looking forward to wading in streams, and and pulling gorgeous browns, rainbows and brookies.

See you all out there!
Live to love life!

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2005, 06:06 PM »
Thats what fishing is about having fun.Looks like you had a Great day
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2005, 06:27 PM »
Looks like a blast! Next year, have him bring you to LAke George for some lakers!

-Wes

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2005, 06:30 PM »
Can you keep bass where you were fishing?

Offline onyunn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What's my name Bit**?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2005, 06:32 PM »
We didn't keep any of the Smallies, we drilled a livewell in the ice and kept them in there for the day and released them after all the photo ops.
Live to love life!

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2005, 06:35 PM »
Don't get caught doing that. You would have gotten a ticket for sure.

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2005, 06:45 PM »
yep and you probably killed them anyways by doing what you did....not cool

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2005, 06:50 PM »
great day of fishing congrats val hope the car got out ok ;)

Offline onyunn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What's my name Bit**?
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2005, 08:31 PM »
To prejudge other's notions before we have looked into them is not to show their darkness, but to put out our own eyes. - John Locke
Live to love life!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2005, 11:15 PM »
looked like fun!  For bass i catch, i just snap a quick pic and let'em go, its just not worth a ticket ;)

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2005, 06:43 AM »
Nice fish!! Looks like a nice bunch of perch and crappie! Yeah what Bigred said, no need to get the man pissed off....

Robb :tipup:

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2005, 06:49 AM »
 :( hey rochvalerie ,I hope missfishylicious,or ladyfish or hali-man dont see those bass out of season and kept together for pictures and let go,I kept two gut hooked pickerel,and they tore me a new a## hole,maybe the ladies will go easy on you  ???

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2005, 06:57 AM »
they got on you because you kept them as long as the bass were kept alive and onyunn knows what hes doing and im sure he didnt put those fish in unneccessary harm hell his live wells put him in more harm than the fish

Offline butterworm

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • the presidents office.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2005, 08:34 AM »
they got on you because you kept them as long as the bass were kept alive and onyunn knows what hes doing and im sure he didnt put those fish in unneccessary harm hell his live wells put him in more harm than the fish
good job on the fish guys. glad to see you had a good day and no mishaps ;) tried to get out myself but the couch would not let go of me ;Dhope to run into you on the streams. til then tight lines. :tipup:

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2005, 09:12 AM »
good to hear ya kept your feet dry this time onyunn. You also managed to stay on the road too. ;D Great fish and I am glad to see you and valerie had a good time.Keep them smallies comin valerie

Offline hayfieldheller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2005, 02:32 PM »
what a great way to end the season for you two, nice catch. good luck for the trout opener

hayfieldheller

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2005, 03:12 PM »
You guys(sam) and gals(val) have TOO much time on your hands!!!  I LIKE IT!!!!! 
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

hali-man

« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2005, 01:53 PM »
LMAO!
Nice job, Val! Sammy just told me about this thread today. I really wish I had been there!
Anyone that's concerned about them catching out of season bass can talk to him about it.
He's a pretty big guy, even though he can't drive... ;)

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2005, 03:51 PM »
i don't have a problem with people doing whatever they want, just don't call yourself a sportsman

missfishylicious

« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2005, 05:26 PM »
:( hey rochvalerie ,I hope missfishylicious,or ladyfish or hali-man dont see those bass out of season and kept together for pictures and let go,I kept two gut hooked pickerel,and they tore me a new a## hole,maybe the ladies will go easy on you  ???
if you consider what I said to you tearing you a new a## hole then it's a good thing I did cause your full of __it  ;D
and I was going to tell her the season was closed but as long as she knows .she can do what she wants.

Offline Bobman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Free Speech Advocate #000020
« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2005, 08:24 AM »
Just saw this post today.  Great way to end the season!  It's your just reward for the Case lake trip  ::)!  See you on the trout streams.
There's a hole in my ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.