Author Topic: Garmin Panoptix Ice Bundle : First Impressions  (Read 10446 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Garmin Panoptix Ice Bundle : First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:35 AM »

Interesting Skywagon , I’m curious how much have your numbers gone up with the use of your unit through the ice ?

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Interesting Skywagon , I’m curious how much have your numbers gone up with the use of your unit through the ice ?

It makes finding panfish stupid easy.  Almost too easy IMO. 

When your actively setup fishing, you can see high cruising, typically bigger fish, way earlier than with a 2D system, so you can adjust your line(s) before they arrive.   

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Way too much to adjust, mess with for me. 

Truth is, there's really nothing you need to adjust.  You can adjust the range, or aim the ducer to search a bit if you're so inclined, but that's totally unecessary.  Just plunking it down it'll  give the same info as any 2D setup, plus some.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:51 AM »

That is a difficult question to answer as every day and situation is different.  Over a year's time for crappie I would guess I catch a third more than when I was blindly punching holes when using a flasher or graph because of not getting on the fish, plus I am now able to see their reactions better and switch up accordingly.  For walleye maybe 20% more because I can see them coming from a distance and prepare, also can see their reactions to bait better.  For lake trout maybe 20%, again because I see them from such a long distance away and many times am able to call them in with the bait/lure, when before Panoptix I would not have seen them from afar to begin with.

I normally don't target smallmouth, but last winter some friends from the States that own tourist outfitter cabins came up for a week's ice fishing and wanted to do some small mouth fishing on a lake that a couple of their cabins are on.  We went out to a series of closely spaced rock humps that they fish for smallmouth in the summer, with the Panoptics I was able to locate the humps that were holding fish, not a lot of wasted time searching because of the Livescope, we were all impressed.

There are days crappie fishing that someone with a graph will out-fish me because they are a better or luckier fishermen, but since getting the Panoptix it is probably Livescope that put them in that area to fish to begin with, it is great tool.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:58 AM »

That is a difficult question to answer as every day and situation is different.  Over a year's time for crappie I would guess I catch a third more than when I was blindly punching holes when using a flasher or graph because of not getting on the fish, plus I am now able to see their reactions better and switch up accordingly.  For walleye maybe 20% more because I can see them coming from a distance and prepare, also can see their reactions to bait better.  For lake trout maybe 20%, again because I see them from such a long distance away and many times am able to call them in with the bait/lure, when before Panoptix I would not have seen them from afar to begin with.

I normally don't target smallmouth, but last winter some friends from the States that own tourist outfitter cabins came up for a week's ice fishing and wanted to do some small mouth fishing on a lake that a couple of their cabins are on.  We went out to a series of closely spaced rock humps that they fish for smallmouth in the summer, with the Panoptics I was able to locate the humps that were holding fish, not a lot of wasted time searching because of the Livescope, we were all impressed.

There are days crappie fishing that someone with a graph will out-fish me because they are a better or luckier fishermen, but since getting the Livescope it is probably me that put them in that area to fish to begin with, it is great tool.

AND...it is simply more fun to catch them (even if it was the same number of fish).
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2019, 12:18 PM »

Thanks for the reply , I always thought it was fun to catch fish anyway

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2019, 12:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply , I always thought it was fun to catch fish anyway

It is fun, just not as fun.

Even more fun on a camera.

Like a video game that you catch a fish when you win.

Not that staring at a bobber isn't good, just not as good.

Also fun to eat them but not all recipes are created equal. Some eats are more fun than others.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Rarely do I use a slip bobber if I do it would be fo perch , eyes are all jigged

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:47 PM »
My catch rate with the graphs I use are usually pretty good. The fl-8 was a reference point is all. I’ve scanned the lakes I icefish during the summer while bass fishing. Marking humps and structure with the graphs onboard. As far as scanning sideways, to look for fish, through the ice, never done it.

I’m a working general contractor, who gets plenty of exercise working 50-60 hours a week, and only get out on the ice, maybe a couple dozen times a season. I go fishing based on the info I’ve collected during the open water months. All fish are creatures of habit... once I've figured their pattern and habitat, I fish accordingly. It works for me.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Don't need much skill set as a fishermen using this technology, no offense. 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:08 AM »
Don't need much skill set as a fishermen using this technology, no offense.
It does help locating suspended fish, and help drill holes on the right spot of a structure or drop. But you still have to know where to look for your target  species to start, and getting them to bite is another thing. It’s not great For finding bottom hugging fish, but sometimes you’ll see where the bottom is moving a differently on the screen. It all depends on your target species and fishing style. If you’re not using it to follow a schools of fish around in the basin, it’s just sonar that shows more than what’s directly under you. It almost as good as a camera, but without limitations of water clarity or the hassle of setting one up.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 19, 2019, 07:36 AM »
It does help locating suspended fish, and help drill holes on the right spot of a structure or drop. But you still have to know where to look for your target  species to start, and getting them to bite is another thing. It’s not great For finding bottom hugging fish, but sometimes you’ll see where the bottom is moving a differently on the screen. It all depends on your target species and fishing style. If you’re not using it to follow a schools of fish around in the basin, it’s just sonar that shows more than what’s directly under you. It almost as good as a camera, but without limitations of water clarity or the hassle of setting one up.

I know I hear ya...heck I would love to try it out one time but it's amazing how fast technology is truly making life a little easier to find fish.  Albeit I do own a flasher and a helix 9 mega that will make some occasional trips out with me on the ice when I have someone else that doesn't own a flasher fishing with me but I often think where would we be without flashers and graphs these days.  What will they come up with next?!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2019, 11:28 AM »
So I number one can’t afford one. If I could not sure I would drop the cash. I am happy with what I have. It fits my fishing style. Like a couple of folks have said this set up is not for everyone. Not sure why folks that don’t have one would talk about why they don’t need one. For me it’s just not a thing. Not sure why the folks that have them feel the need to defend the purchase. I have a preference on the type of inline reels I use, cost more than some of the other options. I like using them so I spend the cash. So in my mind it is all about using the tool that will get the job done for you. Have to say I would like to see one one the ice! Y’all have a great season!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2019, 11:47 AM »
One tip for the PS22:
If you see the bottom undulating, it's probably perch or walleyes holding tight to the bottom. The livescope has better bottom separation, but you can often see them on the ps22 too. :-)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 22, 2019, 10:56 PM »
One tip for the PS22:
If you see the bottom undulating, it's probably perch or walleyes holding tight to the bottom. The livescope has better bottom separation, but you can often see them on the ps22 too. :-)
Yep! The screen does tend to have a bit of a wavy action, but it’s rhythmic to the sonar. Bottom hugging fish make their own beat on the screen.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Sep 09, 2020, 12:34 PM »
Any updates post ice season? Thinking about buying the livescope.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Sep 12, 2020, 10:18 PM »
Any updates post ice season? Thinking about buying the livescope.

I've used mine this summer to good effect. I still think it's a better ice tool than open water.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Sep 14, 2020, 02:35 PM »
I've used mine this summer to good effect. I still think it's a better ice tool than open water.

Agreed, It has been a challenge for me using it on the boat effectively, last trip I didn't even bring livescope with. Still using the 93sv on the boat and than pairing it with livescope in winter.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Sep 15, 2020, 08:33 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I still love it out of a boat, it's just better on the ice. I've actually rigged up a mount to use it trolling for salmon this week, so we'll see how that works... Might be revolutionary for me! (I run mine on my Hobie kayak, so I can easily move it between trips to try new things)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Sep 16, 2020, 08:11 AM »
I don’t have the livescope, but even with  the ps22, I find it useful for trolling. It has helped me dial in the depth to run the lures at much faster. With traditional sonar, the fish seem deeper since they dive down more as you’re boat passes overhead. so seeing where they are before boat spooks them lets me know what depth to run my lines at.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Sep 18, 2020, 02:28 PM »
I drag dubuque rigs a ton on the river and its crazy what i can see pointing it behind me and seeing my rig don there and fish react to it. 

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Sep 28, 2020, 05:40 PM »
I just picked up one of the Garmin Panoptix Ice Bundles today from Cabelas. They currently have them on sale for $1499.97 on their website and in store too. My initial impression of it as I unboxed it and set it up was that it is a very nice unit. I am looking forward to getting it out on the ice and putting it through the paces this season. If it works like I have seen in a bunch of different you tube videos I will probably end up selling off one or two of my Vexilar FLX 28 Pro Pack units next season. I really hope it will be the game changer like some have claimed it is. Now I just need to figure out how to mount it directly to my four wheeler like I have my one FLX 28.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Sep 28, 2020, 08:15 PM »
Thanks for the review.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Oct 06, 2020, 05:56 AM »
OH YES IT IS!! I want Livescope so bad it's not funny.

If your wife finds out, it may be the last thing you ever buy.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 29, 2020, 06:04 PM »
Here is my review one year later

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.