Author Topic: Bruce lake  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Marvin9988

• IceShanty Rookie
Bruce lake
« on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:39 AM »
Anyone know if the lake is thawed out

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bruce lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:46 AM »
I would like to know as well. Should be close.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2019, 02:41 PM »
Is Bruce lake a good bass lake?

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I thought every IN lake was loaded with green carp! ;D

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2019, 02:57 PM »
Ya, but I thought I had read the pan fishing sucked there. So I wondered how the bass was... ;D

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Ya, but I thought I had read the pan fishing sucked there. So I wondered how the bass was... ;D
panfishing there doesn't suck if you like paper thin 9" crappie.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Dang, I thought Skinner was the go to for that!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:55 PM »
I've caught a few bass out of Bruce . Never anything over 2 pounds or so

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:35 PM »
If looking for bass the slough is where the numbers are. Smallies on lake Michigan by the rocks. Lot of 4 +.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:05 PM »
Ahhhh, smallies from Lake Michigan , I wish I knew where to go.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:20 PM »
You and me both ! I've hunted them numerous times and have only ever caught one and wasn't that big. I know the USED to do good in Michigan City but haven't heard of a good trip in some time

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:29 PM »
abishop told you. By the rocks.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2019, 03:05 AM »
I think Bruce is noted for the good Musky fishing. Smaller lake with high numbers and low pressure same with skinner.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:59 AM »

I think they have allot of stunted growth there, the perch and crappy are small and bass not that big either. I go there to Muskie fish, if I want nice(not giant) crappie, gills, and bass I go to another nearby lake and fish in the shade(all day) when its hot.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2019, 05:01 AM »
I think Bruce is noted for the good Musky fishing. Smaller lake with high numbers and low pressure same with skinner.

Ya the pressure is pretty low, reason is you can only get about 5-6 trailers in the parking lot.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:13 PM »
If looking for bass the slough is where the numbers are. Smallies on lake Michigan by the rocks. Lot of 4 +.
Large bass at the slough?

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:16 PM »

Smallies in St Clair are the way to go... early mid may I've seen 50 fish days with 2 guys... 3lbs up to 5

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:00 PM »
Ya the pressure is pretty low, reason is you can only get about 5-6 trailers in the parking lot.
There is a guy who will let you park on his property for a couple bucks. Lives on the west side just before you get to the north park of lake. (Think might have directions mixed up.). Anyway across from the trailer park. Think there is enough room for three if parked right.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Smallies in St Clair are the way to go... early mid may I've seen 50 fish days with 2 guys... 3lbs up to 5
Can I get into em by kayak there or you need a bass boat?
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:50 PM »
There is a guy who will let you park on his property for a couple bucks. Lives on the west side just before you get to the north park of lake. (Think might have directions mixed up.). Anyway across from the trailer park. Think there is enough room for three if parked right.

Just gotta make sure you park to where no one can screw you and block you in !

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:01 AM »
Just gotta make sure you park to where no one can screw you and block you in !

I only go during the week days no weekends. Everyone parks with their trailer backed up to the north end of the lot, so far not seen anyone park in front of anyone. But, there's always some idiot out there who will. If they did that's what tow trucks are for.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:18 AM »
Can I get into em by kayak there or you need a bass boat?

Not sure on that, Would definitely have to pick your calm days for a yak. Id say call Sportsmans direct or some other shop and ask them.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Not sure on that, Would definitely have to pick your calm days for a yak. Id say call Sportsmans direct or some other shop and ask them.
Right on. I kayak fish Lake Michigan often for largemouth and smallmouth. Definitely gotta pick the right days
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:09 AM »
You and me both ! I've hunted them numerous times and have only ever caught one and wasn't that big. I know the USED to do good in Michigan City but haven't heard of a good trip in some time
Not sure where you are from but I do ok for smallies around the port of In and portage, hammond marina but I like to go to the calumet river in Illinois because I only have an 18’ tracker not too great for the big lake on windy days. I love drop shotting smallies in the river in 20 to 30 ft of clear water! Plus theres lake calumet that holds good bass also, So you have lake cal, the calumet river, and Lake Michigan all accessible from same boat ramp.
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Which boat ramp?

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:12 AM »
Which boat ramp?
Actually thats the s@&$ty part theres a launch on the river but its before the lock and dam its 7 miles to lake michigan then theres a launch on the lake in calumet park. $27 to launch. the bar is $20 was $10 2 seasons ago go figure
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Not sure where you are from but I do ok for smallies around the port of In and portage, hammond marina but I like to go to the calumet river in Illinois because I only have an 18’ tracker not too great for the big lake on windy days. I love drop shotting smallies in the river in 20 to 30 ft of clear water! Plus theres lake calumet that holds good bass also, So you have lake cal, the calumet river, and Lake Michigan all accessible from same boat ramp.

Thank you for that information! I am not a bass fisherman by any means but I do love to fish for smallmouth there is nothing like the strike or fight in my opinion. I lived in la Porte for 20 plus years so I fished out of Michigan City quite a bit but now I live down in Wheatfield but do travel to Michigan City area to fish quite a bit out of the big lake I have a 20-foot Alaskan high side so I get out on the big lake quite often

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2019, 02:21 PM »
Thank you for that information! I am not a bass fisherman by any means but I do love to fish for smallmouth there is nothing like the strike or fight in my opinion. I lived in la Porte for 20 plus years so I fished out of Michigan City quite a bit but now I live down in Wheatfield but do travel to Michigan City area to fish quite a bit out of the big lake I have a 20-foot Alaskan high side so I get out on the big lake quite often
Yea I figured you did as I seen some of your perch reports from last year on my fishfinder which I didnt even know existed till this year. I love to perch fish also thats another species I do well on in calumet river and calumet harbor, You can catch multiple species of fish lure fishing my record is 8 in a day. I tried out of portage a couple times but i can only go out on south winds and not too much experience with the big lake. Ive tried michigan city from shore several times for bass never had much luck. Have to try it for perch i see you guys do good sometimes.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Yes Michigan City and the new buffalo area can be very good when the conditions are rite for perch ! Caught quite a few 16 inchers last year . And hope to do it again this year. They are not hard to find when they are in shallow most of the time you can see them and I just drift through them or when they're in the 30-foot range I use my graph they are really easy to find on the hard sand bottom. Just use fathead minnows and perch rigs Tony's bait shop there in Michigan city has a good variety of perch rigs .then all you have to do is look for the crowds of boats. Usually by July we are into them PM me when it gets close to the season I'd be happy to meet up and you could follow us out sometime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.