Author Topic: Targeting Tiger Musky  (Read 3153 times)

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Targeting Tiger Musky
« on: Jan 09, 2020, 09:53 PM »
Just looking for any tips and/or tricks on targeting tigers through the ice.  I’ve done a bit of research and It seems they can be hard to target at times.  I’ve read go deep, hotdogs, and that they just aren’t too responsive when it’s cold.  Has anyone really had any luck in the north idaho area??  TIA!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Targeting Tiger Musky
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:31 PM »
Just had another member in Wyoming asking the exact same thing on the Wyoming board so I'd watch that post also. I did a bit of reading up in the pike section and have been applying it to the tigers here. I've only had a couple hits but no hook ups yet. I use a smaller flasher blade or Dodger, 1-2ft leader with a 3-5in tube baited with cut bait on one rod dead sticking. Then jig a rattle trap a few feet away and draw them in. Haven't hooked up on that one either. Now on pike I've been productive on both. I'll also fish for perch/crappie with my jigging rod and watch the dead stick. The tigers here like to cruise around right under the ice picking off the floaters that didn't make it back down in the really heavy pressured areas.  Good luck and keep us updated if you get into some
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:53 PM »
Just had another member in Wyoming asking the exact same thing on the Wyoming board so I'd watch that post also. I did a bit of reading up in the pike section and have been applying it to the tigers here. I've only had a couple hits but no hook ups yet. I use a smaller flasher blade or Dodger, 1-2ft leader with a 3-5in tube baited with cut bait on one rod dead sticking. Then jig a rattle trap a few feet away and draw them in. Haven't hooked up on that one either. Now on pike I've been productive on both. I'll also fish for perch/crappie with my jigging rod and watch the dead stick. The tigers here like to cruise around right under the ice picking off the floaters that didn't make it back down in the really heavy pressured areas.  Good luck and keep us updated if you get into some

Thanks! I’ll keep an eye on that board as well. I have read about jiggin near the bait to attract them. I’ll have to try This tomorrow and see what happens. I usually fish tip ups so my rods are all pan fish and trout rods.  Hopefully the jiggin just attracts and I don’t hook up. Thanks again !

Offline Ice-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:15 AM »
Back in the midwest I fish musky exactly the same way pike except maybe go heavier on line, leaders, hooks and bait.  Biggest chubs we could find (usually 8 - 10 inches).  Live was legal in Iowa but they were usually dead by the time we made it in the hole.  Just under the ice in 3 - 5 fow in weeds.   The fish were really spooky.  Especially in clear ice with no snow.  You could see them spook 50ft away under the ice when you approach.  We would set the tip ups  in shallow weedy bays early in the morning and leave them all day without approaching unless we got a flag.  Musky were always a rare catch buy when you did they were big and hard to land.  We released them all live if possible.

Hope this helps!  Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.