Author Topic: When did tip ups get so Expensive  (Read 9379 times)

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: When did tip ups get so Expensive
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:17 PM »
Thats funny i love heritage traps dont see the apeail in Jack traps buddy fishes with them not overly impressed with them
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:58 PM »
If your useing hearitage lakers cause of the big flag why not build your own with one of these??

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/sporting-goods/bicycle-parts-and-accessories/8465619?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIya7LzInl4AIVloxpCh3-6gbaEAQYECABEgIs9PD_BwE

I got a idea how to build a tip down with this bike saftey flag .. ask away if you want?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 02, 2019, 10:05 PM »
These are like heritage lakers but a little cheaper..

https://40uptackle.com

Some guys fish huge snow drifts and can't see there flags is why I asked last question..

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2019, 10:16 PM »
About 6 or 8 years ago, idk it’s been a while, I got some of the black insulated frabills for 20 a piece new from Scheels. That wasn’t a sale price, that was just the retail price. They came with the black Dacron line, a depth finder, and a tip up light. I see they are now 30 dollars with no line, depth finder, or light. Crazy what stuff cost these days. 4-5 bucks for a pound of propane? Unreal.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Jack traps are runnimg 100 on the high end models

Stumbled accross this brand whiLe poking around

http://www.blackmagictipups.com/store/index.html

Could copy this and makes some cool tip downs?

https://sullivantipdown.com

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:02 AM »
Thats funny i love heritage traps dont see the apeail in Jack traps buddy fishes with them not overly impressed with them

I had and still do have a set of Heritage traps. I had to fix them after one of the reels fell off. The fix was easy and instead of the press fit reel stud post I used stainless screws and nuts that went fully through the shaft. What was happening is when the wood swells it made the reels tighter. When it dried out it made the stud press fit loose. Easy fix and now the Heritage traps are as worthy as my Jacks but still not as nice looking. What ever works for your style of fishing is fine by me. On small shallow water lakes I use my 2 sets of HT Polar Therm Extreme disc types with the extension antenna flags and like them just fine.
We have been discussing tip ups here for a lot of years and it all comes down to what you like, what you have faith in, how much you are willing to spend and what type of fishing you do. I think it is a real blast to catch a large fish on a jig rod and it actually takes more skill to get a big one in by hand over hand off a tip up when the fish sees the light through the hole and takes a massive run. Fishing with light leaders for big trout your hands must be the drag system and the line has to be able to allow for the run or the leader will break. A 6 pound fish fighting for it's life on a 6 pound leader and coming through a 7 inch hole in 18 inches of ice is a thrill for sure and why we love ice fishing. If you are happy and satisfied with what ever rig you have and use then just go fishing and catch the big one. Big water and big fish and maybe deep snow and I want a large tip up with a high flag that is not prone to wind flags. There are a number of good quality tip ups out there but they are all getting more expensive over the years just like everything else. Buy the ones you like but do look toward the higher quality that will last the longest so you need not be replacing them all the time. The fish don't know squat about the tip up you have and honestly don't care. Other guys fishing with you don't care what equipment you have either so the only one you have to please is you. I fish with buddies who have a hodge podge of different and mostly inexpensive tip ups and they catch fish to. Most of the failures I see come more from poor maintenance or the lack of knowledge when using their equipment. I see guys using steel leaders fishing for trout and complaining they never get a flag on their tip ups and do much better jigging with their rods and lighter mono line, wonder why? Pickerel and Pike will take a bait fish tied to a rope while trout will look and laugh. There are lots of discussions and lots of good advice and techniques posted in these threads and those who know the tricks are the ones who have the most action and success. Go take a look at some of the equipment our forefathers used for ice fishing. They caught fish to but things sure have changed over the last 100 years and will continue to change every year with new and better designs and all sorts of fancy gear that is sure to catch more fisherman than fish.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.