The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Kokanee rigs on Georgetown  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Kokehead.

• IceShanty Rookie
Kokanee rigs on Georgetown
« on: Feb 10, 2021, 10:03 PM »
Hi, new to this site and looking for kokannee advice. Went out on g-town last week and picked up about ten kokes first time ever fishing there. Curious about peoples set-ups to increase my productivity any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kokanee rigs on Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2021, 01:33 AM »
1. Check out past postings on the Georgetown Lake page of the Montana fishing reports and conditions sub-forum.  There's a lot of good information on that page, and that page is the best place to ask for advice about fishing on Georgetown Lake. Click on the little page icon on the right side of the Georgetown Lake row to see the lastest posting; if you click on the Georgetown Lake link, you'll get the very first posting, which will be many years old.

2. You will tend to find kokanee in deeper water than you find trout.  Look for water which is 18-20 feet deep.

3.  To attract kokanee to your lure, rig a flasher about a foot and a half above your lure.  A big silver Pot-o-Gold spoon or a kokanee dodger make a good flasher.  Jerk your line up a couple of inches every second or so to flip and flash the flasher until kokanee show up.  Then just twitch your line to wiggle the lure - if you continue to flash, you'll tend to jerk your lure away from the kokanee.  Another major advantage of using a flasher is that its weight keeps your fishing line tight, and helps you make instant hook sets.

4.  Everybody has a different favorite lure, but you can't go wrong with a small red rocker lure baited with a maggot.  As I said above, rig it about a foot and a half below your flasher.

5. The best way to catch a lot of kokanee is by sight fishing.  Set up a dark ice house over your hole, and watch your lure down the hole.  This is feasible a lot of the time on Georgetown Lake because the kokanee are often in the top 8-10 feet where you can see them coming in to nip at your lure.  When kokanee come in and nip at the lure, try to set your hook.  Timing is critical.  You will probably only nail a kokanee about one out of five times, partly because you miss your timing, and partly because many times a kokanee doesn't actually take the lure into its mouth. Another advantage of sight fishing is that it's quite entertaining, because you get to see kokanee milling around your lure and coming in to nip at it.

6. A fish finder is frequently helpful, particularly if the kokanee are down out of sight, because it shows you the depth at which the kokanee are coming through, and lets you jig at that depth even if you can't see the kokes down the hole.

7. When the kokanee are down so deep that you can't see them down your hole, or they are only vague shadows, an underwater camera will let you sight fish for them.  Figure out the depth at which the kokes are moving through, set your camera at that depth, and hang your lure in front of the camera.  A fish finder will help you get your lure and/or flasher to the same depth as your camera.  A camera is also very helpful on very dark days.  A couple of days ago we couldn't see fish by looking down our holes because the snow was so deep that the water down our holes looked black, but we could see them just fine on our cameras.  I caught 44 kokanee and the guy I was with caught 56.  I would have only caught a fraction as many kokes on that day without an underwater camera.

I'll copy this exchange to the Georgetown Lake page of the Montana Fishing Reports and Conditions sub-forum, because that's where most people who are looking for information about fishing on Georgetown Lake will look.

Offline Kokehead.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2021, 07:43 PM »
Thanks for the thorough post that is a ton of good information. Have done a lot of Kokanee jigging on open water but the ice is new to me. I dont have a camera just yet but will use some of the other techniques you mentioned! Hoping to go after this next weekend and get up closer to the numbers you were putting up. Thanks again

Offline flatgo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:24 AM »
% I don't fish Georgetown, but fish a lot of other lakes with kokanee.  My number 1 tip is rest your pole on a bucket and watch for the bite (use a flexible tip or spring bobber).  most kokanee bite light enough that its hard to feel the bite and i am much more effective seeing the bite then setting the hook.  my other tip is kokanee very rarely hit a dead stick. 90% of bite occur when the lure is settling out, so if you don't get a hit within 5 to 10s of setting your pole on the bucket jig again.  it takes awhile to figure out, but i have caught lots of kokanee and have never owned a camera, but i am sure it would be helpful. 

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:42 AM »
The suggestions I made above are for sight fishing for kokanee.  However, Georgetown Lake is the only lake I know of where you can reliably sight fish for kokanee.  Usually they are hanging out thirty or more feet below the surface, where it's a lot harder to use an underwater camera to sight fish, so you need to fish like Flatgo does. I'm really lousy at fishing blind for kokanee, and fishing blind is less productive than sight fishing, because as Flatgo said, kokanee bite very lightly. Only a very small percentage are so aggressive that they hit so hard that they hook themselves.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2021, 12:24 PM »
Only a very small percentage are so aggressive that they hit so hard that they hook themselves.
Boy, ain’t that the truth.  I’ve caught very few when the rod wasn’t in my hand and I wasn’t paying full attention.  Ya snooze, ya lose.

YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline flatgo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2021, 12:55 PM »
i should add when my pole is resting in the bucket my hand is just under it, but not touching it so you can set the hook instantly when you see a hit.  you will likely miss lots of bites but also see a lot more, and if you think it might be a bite set the hook no matter how light.  if you miss the bite you are just jigging they will come back 95% of the time. it takes awhile to get the hang of it though. 

Offline Kokehead.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:03 PM »
Just a report for the end of season... ended up doing a little better each time out got into the 30’s and low 40’s for numbers . Sight fishing is definitely key on this lake! Did well with very small jigs dropped pretty far below a dodger or pimple or really any spoon. Thanks again for the advice. See you guys out there next year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.