The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Essential Ice Jigs/Lures  (Read 2146 times)

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Essential Ice Jigs/Lures
« on: Dec 01, 2020, 01:56 PM »
What lures/jigs do you feel are essential for a beginner to have in their arsenal?

I have a friend that wants to gather a few essentials as he stocks his tackle box.  He's going to inspect my gear to see if there are a few musts that I have but what do you think is important.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Essential Ice Jigs/Lures
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2020, 02:13 PM »
Spoons ...alot of fish have been taken from spoons of all sizes,makes and models .. followed by a Genz bug style horizontal bait . After that ..its color and size ..followed by glow and rattle and UV
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2020, 02:19 PM »
Kinda depends on target species. I like Lindy Perch Talkers and small VMC Tungsten jigs for Perch. Jigs and spoons for trout, so many that work good, Tingler spoons are one of my goto. A couple Slab Raps work for lots of fish. Heck there are so many. Sweedish Pimples are a favorite of many.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2020, 02:28 PM »
I'm a pannie guy. And my arsenal isn't as large as most. But I go with horizontal in tungsten...3,4 and 5mm...wonderbread, orange/chartreuse and gold colors. And picked up a few verticals (teardrops) in tungsten this year. Same colors. I do have a spattering of other styles and colors, but my go to's are the ones I listed. Also a few Hali's and other jigging lures just in case.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2020, 02:56 PM »
Im more of natural presentations.blacks,browns,reds and whites.i will add gold too that.all horizontal 3mm in shallow and 4mm in deeper water just to get down faster.slender spoons with chains added too.most times im fishing black or red jigs sometimes all season long.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:04 PM »
Im more of natural presentations.blacks,browns,reds and whites.i will add gold too that.all horizontal 3mm in shallow and 4mm in deeper water just to get down faster.slender spoons with chains added too.most times im fishing black or red jigs sometimes all season long.

I do have a couple of those reds and blacks Jay. I will be trying them on that "one lake" this year. Lol
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:07 PM »
Hard to beat a Ratfinkee in shallow water.  The slow fall is deadly for multiple species, including trout, kokanee, perch and pannies.

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:19 PM »
I do have a couple of those reds and blacks Jay. I will be trying them on that "one lake" this year. Lol
its a waiting game scenario.say 12 holes in a area.call them in by jigging all over the water column.intense hole hopping just doesn’t seem to work all that great for me.and schools of fish are non existent.so i dont look for that.

Offline brokefarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:19 PM »
I find myself buying all/most of the new hot lures on the market. Still have some laying around in its packaging.  Find my self using my tried and true favourites...slab grabber,Swedish pimples, small cast masters,dropper spoons, and jigging raps.  Mainly after pan fish here in shallow er water.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:27 PM »
Swedish Pimples catch everthing and they also make a good dropper attractor...

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:29 PM »
Swedish Pimples catch everthing and they also make a good dropper attractor...

When I lived in MT, I would have left all of my tackle bags at home if I knew I had a Swedish Pimple, or two, already tied on.  Can't say I can say that about anything else...

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:36 PM »
rattling spoons with a minnow head red spoons for walleye and perch. lindy flyer red glow, blk and silver and perch all work the best for all fish.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Size 3 & 5 jiggin raps
Ultralight rippin raps
Clam speed spoons
1/8-1/4oz Northland buckshots
Northland forage minnow spoons
Assorted Tungsten jigs
Hali jigs
Pk flutterfish
Pk spoons
Little cleos
Small trebles and split shot

Offline GrizzFire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2020, 11:31 PM »
Panfish: Tungsten jigs, ratsos, ratfinkees, small Swedish Pimples, small Rapala slab raps and jigging raps, small slender spoons, and small rattle spoons.

Trout: glow hooks, small tube jigs, swedish pimples, ratsos, ratfinkees, and jigging raps.

Kokanee: swedish pimples, glow hooks, ratfinkees, and ratsos.

Pike: I mostly use smelt on quick stri kes

Walleye: not the most experience being in western MT but should try jigging raps, tungsten jigs, buckshot spoons, slender spoons, swedish pimples and things of that nature

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2020, 12:33 PM »
I should have prefaced that this would be primarily trout with some perch mixed in. 

So far he's added the standards already mentioned like swedish pimples, some VMC small tungsten waxtail jigs, Hali jigs, and some other to his wish list.

I need to stock up on my PK lures so he'll probably snag some of those in the order too.  Of course reading some of these it reminds me to grab a few more things here and there.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2020, 01:19 PM »
I should have prefaced that this would be primarily trout with some perch mixed in. 

So far he's added the standards already mentioned like swedish pimples, some VMC small tungsten waxtail jigs, Hali jigs, and some other to his wish list.

I need to stock up on my PK lures so he'll probably snag some of those in the order too.  Of course reading some of these it reminds me to grab a few more things here and there.

As effective as they are, the hali jig chains/hooks are absolute garbage, the last few years ive been using the clam speed spoons instead as the dropper chains/hooks are of a much higher quality.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2020, 01:43 PM »
In my experience,  if you had to pick one lure to catch fish, the 1/16 oz buckshot jigs would be it. If you're targeting small fish, downsize the hook. I have caught every species I've ever targeted (walleye, pike, perch, crappie, ling, trout, and even a catfish!) with buckshot spoons, tipped with maggots or minnow heads. My personal favorites are blue, chartreuse, and white, then a firetiger. If there's no fish in an area, bang it off the bottom a few times or jig it hard to get those rattles going, usually draws fish in if they're around. This is a vertical, not horizontal jig, and I'm with others on ratfinkee or micro jigs with maggots for those.

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2020, 02:38 PM »
As effective as they are, the hali jig chains/hooks are absolute garbage, the last few years ive been using the clam speed spoons instead as the dropper chains/hooks are of a much higher quality.

Good call, I have had to replace a lot of chain droppers...most with a treble hook setup.  I'll have him check those out.

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2020, 03:03 PM »
The top of my list would be the glowing Swedish Pimple. Right behind that is the Ratfinkee, probably pink.  As a third I would take a Northland Buckshot Rattler in Rainbow trout color.

I bet a solid 90% of my hard-water fishing is done with a combination of those three.

Offline hntnfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2020, 06:35 PM »
Lundin-Loading and I appear to carry mostly the same go-to gear.  I also like to have very small tungsten dropper jigs that I can put under my bigger lures (where permissible).  Allot of time the spoon or big jigs lack the finesse presentation the fish seem to key in on, and the light jigs entice them better.  Another go-to is an array of Kokanee glow hooks that I use as droppers. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.