Author Topic: Looking at new flip over shanty  (Read 1337 times)

Offline IceMan74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking at new flip over shanty
« on: Dec 03, 2009, 03:45 PM »
I am looking to purchase a 2 man flip over shanty and need some help from all of you out there.  I am looking at the fish Trap Nanook right now but is there any better deals or better shanties advailable??
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking at new flip over shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:26 PM »
If I was gonna buy a shanty, it would have to be the Nanook. It looks to me the best deal this year. Not too heavy and can fish 2,or a  reallynice 1 man shanty

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:28 PM »
Basspro's new ad that I got today has a one man flip over at 159 from Clam and a 2 manner flipover Nanook  from Clam at 249. They also have a one man Frabill at 249 and a 2 manner a 499. What are difference in these models?

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Maybe the Frabill has heavier canvas. The new thing is thermal canvas. If I was in a more northern location I would consider the thermal. I just dont think it gets too cold around here. I have heard that the thermals are nice for no water dripping on you though. For 249 a 2man shanty by a reputable company(Nanook/Clam) is a good deal nowadays.

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:00 PM »
you can get clams in a insulated thermal canvas too. I like clams because of there canvas. most frabills have that black tent like material that flaps in the wind.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:20 PM »
i have a fish trap pro that's about 3 years old.  it's been a good shanty but there have been some nice improvements in materials & quality lately.

if i were looking at a new flip over some things i would consider other than price would be:

1.  quality of the tub and its design... to travel over snow,parking lots, gravel etc. easily
2.  type of fabric and the weight. does it have windows/vents. wide skirt at the bottom. can the tent be removed for storage?
3.  weight.  every pound matters when your pulling by hand
4.  comfy seat.  moveable. folding
5.  customer service. who stands behind their products

good luck.  i hope you find one you like!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:26 PM »
I have a reply to #1.   There is no company out there that makes this sled. So plan an buying the runner kit or equivilant at the same time.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:36 PM »
I have a reply to #1.   There is no company out there that makes this sled. So plan an buying the runner kit or equivilant at the same time.

i agree with the runners to prevent wear on the bottom but i'm not convinced they make the sled pull easier in snow.  i like the shape of the otter sleds.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:38 PM »
frabill... great canvis, quality, and wind flaps.!!! just bought the trekker 2 man that has everything i need in a shanty, but a floor. many quality products, from a quality comany in more ways than one!!!!!!!!!! (dude just go with frabill)!!!! ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:42 PM »
Just bought the standard Nanook and I love it! Plenty of room for me and the Mrs. Granted I have not had it on the ice, but I set it up in the garage and put all my gear in there including the wife and was comfortable. You won't go wrong with it. ;) :tipup:
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Offline IceMan74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2009, 09:25 PM »
Thanks guys, I am looking at the thermal canvas just because i do ALOT of my fishing up in Northern Minnesota and will bring it home when i come down for my christmas break just as long as there is ice down there.  We do alot of driving the trucks or quads/snowmobiles up here so the runners will be a must.
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble

Offline millertime81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:56 AM »
Love my frabill, little heavy for dragging but four wheeler eases that!  My four year old went last year n it and he fished for several hours every time out of it.  Actually took the mrs. And both kids in it.  Like a second home!    ;D

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2009, 02:22 PM »
If $ is not an issue then Otter has the best shanties no doubt.IMO. Pricewise Clam is hard to beat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.