New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Vex chargers  (Read 1442 times)

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
Vex chargers
« on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:12 AM »
Here's a question for you car guys :     I want to be able to charge my vex while in my vehicle on a road trip. I contacted vex about a charger to run off the USB port or the cigarette lighter and they say nothing is available. I was thinking of running wire leads from the engine compartment (truck battery) to the cab with alligator clips and an inline fuse. Will it work ?  I'm not sure about all this stuff and would like to hear some suggestions. My apologies if this subject has come up before but I couldn't find anything in the "search" dept.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Vex chargers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:22 AM »
Use a cord that plugs into your 12v power port or cigarette lighter socket. Same thing as running wires from your battery.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:33 AM »
Thanks guys that was quick !     I'm going to look at the local truck stop store   Maybe they'll have something there

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:35 AM »
Without somehow using the transformer/converter, that is the charger, don't you run the risk of overcharging? There will be nothing to indicate that the charge is complete. Or am I overthinking this?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:46 AM »
Without somehow using the transformer/converter, that is the charger, don't you run the risk of overcharging? There will be nothing to indicate that the charge is complete. Or am I overthinking this?

No your correct..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:48 AM »

You may be correct ...maybe a  lighter plug with a low Ah usb out

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Universal-Car-Charger-Cigarette-Lighter-USB-Charge-for-Apple-and-Android-Devices-2-4-Amp-12W-Black/120238440?fulfillmentIntent=Pickup
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2022, 11:12 AM »

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-100-Watts-Vehicle-Power-Inverter-Converter-12V-DC-to-110V-AC/102391592?fulfillmentIntent=Pickup&athbdg=L1600

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2022, 11:21 AM »
Or...get a female plug for the charger and wire the cigarette lighter/OSB connector to it. Alligator clips on the other end for the battery.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2022, 12:35 PM »
I have a 200W inverter that plugs into my power port in my pickup or sxs that I can use for a Vexilar or equivalent charger.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2022, 01:21 PM »
OK now I'm getting a little confused   I should be able to run a USB cable with a pair of alligator clips from my dashboard port to the battery in my vex.  without any worries
           Right or wrong ?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2022, 01:34 PM »
Right.....but what you'll be getting is a small charge of 0.5A, some later USB will do about 0.9A
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2022, 02:42 PM »
Thankyou Rebelss  that is exactly what I was wondering about     Maybe running a cable out to my battery and watching my meter on the vex will be a better solution

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2022, 03:45 PM »
Oh, I think you should be fine from the cigarette lighter, since that's the same exact thing as running a wire to your battery, just don't leave it on there for very long, or go with a USB cable/clips and no worries...but it may not be charged up real far in a short period. You never gave a timeframe of how long/when you'd be doing this...on the ride home, the ride to....?? Of course you'll plug it in when it's at home for a proper charge, right?
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2022, 04:15 PM »
The charging current should be no more than 25% of the battery capacity. A 12v 10aH battery should be charged at no more than 2.5 amps. A 7aH battery no more than 1 3/4 amps. I don't know how you will control this amperage when hooked directly to your battery while the engine is running. It is fairly easy to ruin one of these small batteries by charging too fast.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2022, 10:23 AM »
All good info to consider.  Thanks to all   I'm planning a couple road trips this winter to scratch some of those spots off my bucket list.  This charging idea would be from place to place for perhaps a couple hours just to perhaps top of my battery. Nights would be spent in a motel or rental camp and power would be available.  Just wanted to be sure of the possibilities if I get caught in a pinch.   Hope everyone is looking forward to the ice season as much as I am.   Going shopping today and will be looking at acessories

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2022, 11:20 AM »
The charging current should be no more than 25% of the battery capacity. A 12v 10aH battery should be charged at no more than 2.5 amps. A 7aH battery no more than 1 3/4 amps. I don't know how you will control this amperage when hooked directly to your battery while the engine is running. It is fairly easy to ruin one of these small batteries by charging too fast.

X2. It would be nice to attach the charger as well. Thought maybe a female plug (plugged into the male on the charger), then wired to the connector desired  (cig. lighter or USB). But the charger is designed to convert from 120 to 12. Not sure if it would work without converting (12 to 12).  ???

Another option? Buy a lithium. Lasts for days.  ;)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2022, 12:47 PM »
Another fly in the ointment is that most SLA batteries  prefer to be warmed up some before taking a recharge ..not certain that coming from the cold/ice to your cold vehicle and then to your next destination with the battery charging up until your next destination arrival is going to do much of anything ...unless its some distance away . Going with a larger lithium amp hour battery may be a better choice .

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2022, 03:39 PM »
X2. It would be nice to attach the charger as well. Thought maybe a female plug (plugged into the male on the charger), then wired to the connector desired  (cig. lighter or USB). But the charger is designed to convert from 120 to 12. Not sure if it would work without converting (12 to 12).  ???

Another option? Buy a lithium. Lasts for days.  ;)
I would use a 12v inverter with my Vex charger plugged into it because it would be simple and safe.. I would also buy another 12v SLA battery so I would have one to use since the battery I need to charge would need to be warmed up before charging it. A lot would depend on how far I would travel between destinations. I would prefer to do something like this rather than cobble something up.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2022, 05:25 PM »
I must thank everyone for their input.  All this info is appreciated, and it is making me reconsider this plan. I think Hardwater has the best option. I'm going to purchase a good lithium battery with the proper charger since mine is too many yrs old anyway. This should take care of any multiple day trip that I can dream up.
    Best of luck to all

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2022, 07:06 PM »
check out a  Jackery   I have the Explorer 300 model.  I take quite a few road trips out of state, and use this to power/charge my phones, tablets, anything that takes power.  Quite a handy unit
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.