New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sodus Bay BS Thread  (Read 47257 times)

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sodus Bay BS Thread
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:09 PM »
Thanks alfed and badbrad I don't need to know where and how and what your using anyone I can catch fish so I don't know who's calling who stupid ..just wanted to know how the ice was is all...

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:11 AM »
I was on 12 inches of ice where I was at but all kinds of weird air bubbles in the ice
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:05 AM »
Big guy I didn't refer to you as stupid sorry if you took it that way. I know you can figure things out your no rookie. Interesting that the under 20 fow is also producing well. The bite does get finicky about 10-10:30...the dinks move in heavy. I was playing with the swarm Sunday trying to see how far I could lift the swarm off the bottom. 16 ft of solid fish with no gaps. Yep the bay is loaded with perch. I have been averaging about 30-35 over 10inches.Good luck have fun.
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline FishinDude0901

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:30 AM »
At ease soldier
Jiggin' Like A Fool

Offline IceTanner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Report and Conditions has a report of someone getting wet this morning at Sodus. with all the chit chat about the change in ice.. be safe, stay above the water.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:39 AM »
That area is always questionable. But yes use caution.
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:46 AM »
Coming from out of state does everyone on four wheelers wear helmets on the ice?  Thanks Mark :tipup:

Offline perchice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Coming from out of state does everyone on four wheelers wear helmets on the ice?  Thanks Mark :tipup:
Does everyone? Probably not. But it is the law in NYS at all times while on ATV. Operator and passengers.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:25 AM »

We never do but then again you really have to have a dick dec officer or be doing something you shouldn't like hauling ass across the lake with out helmets on. But as stated before it is the law
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:31 AM »

We never do but then again you really have to have a dick dec officer or be doing something you shouldn't like hauling ass across the lake with out helmets on. But as stated before it is the law
Out of state expect the ticket

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:27 PM »
I seen 3 no helmet  tickets  written  last  year   guys weren't  going 10 mph   dec was  waiting  at the  access   2 on the  wheeler  on on the   sled  and yes it had a tow bar ....all local guys.......I don't like  wearing one on my  motorcycle  but I hate the fines more

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Trapp. Was that on Sodus?  I hate wearing the dam thing on cold windy days.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:13 PM »
When did local police cut in on DEC business?I didn't think that was in their jurisdiction,if that's the case then why do we need DEC police  ??? ???,referring to Jebadiahs comment on page 1. Anyone chime in on this please!

FN

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:53 PM »
When did local police cut in on DEC business?I didn't think that was in their jurisdiction,if that's the case then why do we need DEC police  ??? ???,referring to Jebadiahs comment on page 1. Anyone chime in on this please!

I am going to assume he meant DEC police cause of a regular police asked me for my fishing license and to see my fish I'd laugh at them and keep walking no police but DEC police have jurisdiction to ask for a fishing license or to check your fish

FN

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:50 PM »
It was the DEC sorry about that,2 dudes,I was the last one off the ice,checked me out and gave me their card.Nice guys.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:59 PM »
It was the DEC sorry about that,2 dudes,I was the last one off the ice,checked me out and gave me their card.Nice guys.

No problem just wanted to make sure you meant dec

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:15 AM »

Nothing has changed at sodus I have fished the same hole all season with the same results 30-60 quality fish brought home every time and deep water is not where I have been fishing less than 20fow all season for me.
Maybe where you are fishing this is true .......sorry to burst your bubble Dude but the ice over by the channel is weak and with comments like yours someone is likely to get killed over there ..........
ice fishing rules

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:21 AM »
Guys saying we just don't want people fishing Sodus is a joke ................. there are 1000's of people there on the weekends and I'm telling you that ice over by the loop has changed a lot since the warm up !!! BEWARE or there will be a tragedy  :'(
ice fishing rules

Offline FishinDude0901

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Wisdom
« Reply #48 on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:54 AM »
Yeah that's exactly it lol trying to keep people off the ice? Out of the amount of people that fish sodus, the percentage is minuscule that even know this site exists i'm sure of it. Lot of old timers don't keep up with this stuff and I can't really blame them.  That NE wind this past weekend created a lot more open water. Although what ice is there is safe. Just obviously distance yourself from open water. But where I crushed the perch the other day, that's unsafe, you can't go there  :whistle: :roflmao:
Jiggin' Like A Fool

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:11 AM »
Maybe where you are fishing this is true .......sorry to burst your bubble Dude but the ice over by the channel is weak and with comments like yours someone is likely to get killed over there ..........

I never said where I was fishing just a report of what I have seen. I'm no where near the channel where i have been fishing.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:06 AM »
Thanks for the clarification badbrad and Jebadiah ;)

FN

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:37 PM »
After a thaw we should all be using caution.

I can't state it any other way: there is many many air bubbles trapped in the ice.
Even though the ice is thick in spots, air bubbles in the ice is never a good thing, and does not make the ice as safe as sold d black ice throughout. I heard cracking as I was walking to spots also last weekend.

WE ALL NEED TO USE CAUTION

I am not trying to keep people away. As a local guy, I know some little known access spots that I will not share, and I also have private permission and access for other spots too.

I am simply stating the facts, that the ice is not uniform, and there is many spots that have air bubbles trapped in the ice.

Please also be aware that we got a decent amount of snow and freezing rain this week, use caution.

I bring my Spud with me on every single trip, no matter how thick the ice is. I use my Spud when there is snow on top just as much as I use it during early ice.

I cannot report how much snow is on the ice as I have not been out since last Sunday.

Use caution and stay on top.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #52 on: Feb 15, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Fake news, ice looked mint
I agree. Must be Democrats giving the fake ice reports again. Lol just kidding looked weird but when I figured out what was going on stopped even worrying bout the cracks.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 17, 2019, 02:55 PM »
The honey hole delivered again 2day 80 fish 2 guys 630am-1230am. Nice quality fish all between 8-13 inches. Was a great day to be on the bay

Offline RiserMiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Hey guys, not looking for handouts and I have thoroughly read both Sodus threads, but I’m asking for advice. Taking my 9 year old son out for his first time ice fishing and I want him to have some action. Seems like Sodus is putting up plenty of perch to keep him interested. Most of the reports I’ve read reference third creek. Looks like about a half mile walk to the start of the perch grounds. How is parking at 3rd creek? Do you think this is a good approach? It would be nice to catch some better fish but I don’t really care about the size, I just want the kid to have some action. Any opinions?

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #55 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:30 AM »
Lots of parking there,if you go on the weekend be there by 5:30 to avoid the rush.Been there 6 times and done well every time.From what I've seen I would suggest being there and set up before the sun comes up.

Offline Ice Blaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:25 AM »

Third creek at about 7:30am. I have 2 hour plus drive so I'll never be there much earlier. Ice access about where red arrow is. A jig and spikes or wax worms will elicit a lot of action. You dont necessarily have to go out as far as everyone else to get action either. Hope all goes well and good luck ;D

Oh and don't forget the snacks n drinks ;) that was for many years my boys favorite part when they were young, stopping and letting them get what they wanted to take. Shoot they were in there upper teens and it was still part of it lol.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:32 AM »
I've been fishing out of third creek all season same spot. I'm not going to give exact location but it about a mile out and less than 20 foot of water. Stay away from the crowd and that's all I will give you. Have had a great season took my fifth trip yesterday and it was the best day so far.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #58 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:04 PM »
I've been fishing out of third creek all season same spot. I'm not going to give exact location but it about a mile out and less than 20 foot of water. Stay away from the crowd and that's all I will give you. Have had a great season took my fifth trip yesterday and it was the best day so far.
Don't think he meant a mile...I've been fishing in about 28' and it's bout .6 miles straight out...been using vertical jigs with minnow pieces and/or perch eyes...good luck.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 18, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Don't think he meant a mile...I've been fishing in about 28' and it's bout .6 miles straight out...been using vertical jigs with minnow pieces and/or perch eyes...good luck.

No I mean almost a mile out. .91 to be exact. Not going to say where but its deff almost a mile to my spot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.