Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2018  (Read 72212 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2018
« Reply #210 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:01 PM »
1/20/2018

Warm, Sunny Day. Saved money on Propane today for sure. Good visibility on the camera.

I ended the day with 5 lakers and CH came out and brought up 2 (she lost a couple too).

Lots of lakers caught today. I think Laker Taker ended up with 9, Maggot got 9, Troutfreak with 7, Psycho with a couple and same for Butterfly and Tippin.

Doing it again tomorrow.

Offline Hyland33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #211 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Caught an 18" laker yesterday by the boat ramp. Saw a few on the camera throughout the day but only snagged one.

-Andrew
Newfound Circus

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:53 AM »
Caught an 18" laker yesterday by the boat ramp. Saw a few on the camera throughout the day but only snagged one.

We were by the ramp too but bounced outa there because of the terrible silt conditions. How was the visibility where you were? We were out about 1/4 mile (red aluminum bobhouse)
We bounced back over to near Mayhew but didn't fish there yet. Family stuff... :(

Offline Trowder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #213 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:11 AM »
I was there yesterday too with a plan to try for some rainbows in the shallows but couldn't see eggs or Jigg in even a few feet of water ( boat ramp side) ended up going a bit deeper and managed two lakers, both short but one about 16". Hooked two others, couldn't get em through.

What a pretty lake you circus folk have up there, I will certainly be back.

Offline Hyland33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #214 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:28 PM »
We were by the ramp too but bounced outa there because of the terrible silt conditions. How was the visibility where you were? We were out about 1/4 mile (red aluminum bobhouse)
We bounced back over to near Mayhew but didn't fish there yet. Family stuff... :(

I could see fine where I was. I was left off the ramp a bit. Before the two small houses 30-40fow
-Andrew
Newfound Circus

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #215 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:41 PM »
I was there today for the first time this year.  I once again got skunked.  I had lakers on camera all day but for some reason I can't get a bite. Must be doing something wrong.  I'll figure it out someday.  It was nice to at least see them.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:23 PM »
I was there today for the first time this year.  I once again got skunked.  I had lakers on camera all day but for some reason I can't get a bite. Must be doing something wrong.  I'll figure it out someday.  It was nice to at least see them.

Don’t feel bad! Last year I did the same things I’m doing this year and caught nothing on the jig stick...this year the lakers are attacking and I have landed a handful!

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #217 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:38 PM »
I think I need to better see and understand how to cut up and place sucker meat to lures.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #218 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:45 PM »

Search for a post by Jiggin... and a youtube video... he goes through his process of cutting up suckers for bait... seems quite effective...

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #219 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Here’s that YouTube

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #220 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:13 PM »
01/21/2018

Today was about taking the youngest grandson Logan out fishing. Introducing / Teaching him bobhouse ice fishing. His second time out. Easing him into it cause let's face it, it can be boring....
Before he and CH got to the house this morning, I managed to pull up 2 lakers and had a few come through teasing me.

He watched how to cut up bait. Pick a jig and put the cut bait on his hook. Just watched and didn't actually do it....
He also learned to cook eggs, cracked them, put them in the pan and proceed to scramble. No milk. Still the best eggs I've ever had  ;)

Played w the drone a bit for some entertainment, saw a few lakers on the camera and then watched Ch yank up a laker in front of us.

Before we left, decided to bump the house off the holes with the upcoming weather just to be safe. We didn't make any ice this weekend. Another good education for Logan, helping out w the bump. I think he'll sleep good tonight and I look forward to our next outing. 

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:17 PM »
01/21/2018

Today was about taking the youngest grandson Logan out fishing. Introducing / Teaching him bobhouse ice fishing....
Sounds like one of the best days you can have on the ice... and caught a couple of fish too... way to go.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #222 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:21 PM »
01/21/2018

Today was about taking the youngest grandson Logan out fishing. Introducing / Teaching him bobhouse ice fishing. His second time out. Easing him into it cause let's face it, it can be boring....
Before he and CH got to the house this morning, I managed to pull up 2 lakers and had a few come through teasing me.

He watched how to cut up bait. Pick a jig and put the cut bait on his hook. Just watched and didn't actually do it....
He also learned to cook eggs, cracked them, put them in the pan and proceed to scramble. No milk. Still the best eggs I've ever had  ;)

Played w the drone a bit for some entertainment, saw a few lakers on the camera and then watched Ch yank up a laker in front of us.

Before we left, decided to bump the house off the holes with the upcoming weather just to be safe. We didn't make any ice this weekend. Another good education for Logan, helping out w the bump. I think he'll sleep good tonight and I look forward to our next outing.
Sounds good Jiggin!
Had my only granddaughter visiting today...too young to take fishing but I put a leftover shiner in a fishbowl for her and she was tickled to see it.
I may be out during the crappy weather to monitor conditions and I will check on as many houses as I can during the day and post what I see.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #223 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Went out there yesterday, started the day later because a hotspot I was given I couldn't have access to park, and another place I've been dying to try (I don't want to walk 2 miles lol) had no easy road access, and a long walk from Wellington, so I bounced around there for the day. Only managed 3 (biggest was about 17") but I lost something BIG at the end of the day. Went to 102 fow for fun, and saw a mark on my flasher at 90ft. Reeled up and jigged and he SLAMMED it, instant drag, gone. I was bumming, but better than nothing!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #224 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:14 AM »
FYI, Someone did pull up a 10lb'er this weekend out of Newfound. They are in there.....

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #225 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:43 AM »
FYI, Someone did pull up a 10lb'er this weekend out of Newfound. They are in there.....

I saw a pic of that fish. Nice 1
Jig em up!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #226 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:00 PM »
Jiggin...do you know if the narrows on the east side of Mayhew freeze enough to traverse through with an Argo (or other machine?)
We bounced over to the northeast side of Mayhew and were wondering about parking at Cummings and shooting through those narrows to the house.
Worst case we would just go around the west side of Mayhew and to the house from there...

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #227 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:55 PM »
Had a great day on the lake today. Ended up with 9 lakers. Water was kinda murky but they were hitting hard until about 1:00. Then the bite died. Haven’t fished Newfound the last two years but it sure was good to be back out there.

Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #228 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Jiggin...do you know if the narrows on the east side of Mayhew freeze enough to traverse through with an Argo (or other machine?)
We bounced over to the northeast side of Mayhew and were wondering about parking at Cummings and shooting through those narrows to the house.
Worst case we would just go around the west side of Mayhew and to the house from there...

Personally i would never travel through the Narrows between Mayhew and the Main Land. It's always thin ice in the channel. I would drive around.

Your into Pike's cove. The only problem where you are is that all the snow blows into that area and it gets deep & wet. Fishing is good there and there usually are plenty of smelt in that area.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #229 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Had a great day on the lake today. Ended up with 9 lakers. Water was kinda murky but they were hitting hard until about 1:00. Then the bite died. Haven’t fished Newfound the last two years but it sure was good to be back out there.

Glad you had a good day! Welcome back!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #230 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Personally i would never travel through the Narrows between Mayhew and the Main Land. It's always thin ice in the channel. I would drive around.

Your into Pike's cove. The only problem where you are is that all the snow blows into that area and it gets deep & wet. Fishing is good there and there usually are plenty of smelt in that area.

Thanks Jiggin! We’ll go around the island!

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #231 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:50 AM »
Good afternoon, another warm wet day. I am looking to put my house this weekend but am concerned with ice conditions.. I am looking to fish from Mayhew south, looking to launch at Cummins or off the south end of the lake by the church.. any thoughts or warnings?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Be able to tell better after today’s rains stop...we were going to go out to our house and fish today but the ice is thick on the ground and our steep driveway. Hoping to get out and scrape things down later today so we can get out tomorrow.
As far as the conditions before today, they were pretty good with thick ice mostly everywhere. I’ll post a report tomorrow or I’m sure Jiggin will post about conditions as soon as he can get out there.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #233 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Good afternoon, another warm wet day. I am looking to put my house this weekend but am concerned with ice conditions.. I am looking to fish from Mayhew south, looking to launch at Cummins or off the south end of the lake by the church.. any thoughts or warnings?

Not positively sure. I plan to check houses tomorrow evening in terms of conditions.

I believe south of Mayhew is solid. Plenty of ice. I would stay away from the channel between Mayhew and the Main Land.
I think you can load  your house on at Cummin's Beach or the foot of the lake (South end of the lake). I think this rain would of knocked any snow down in those areas.

The bigger concern now is the shore line with the rain. Seen it pop already once this season, then lock back up. Currently it is raining like a mofo fo-sho. I would imagine the shore line will pop.

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #234 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:08 PM »
Thanks guys, I will look forward to you reports..stay dry

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #235 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:22 PM »
So...after work i took a ride to the lake.

Cummings Beach is probably your best bet to launch a house depending on how big and how heavy it is. The snow banken has been knocked down and the hill to the lake looks good. Be careful on the left side of the hill going down onto the lake, we had a wash out but it's cautioned taped off. To the right is a big hole, check it out before launching

Foot of the lake has some big snow bankens but there is one spot in the middle of the road that looks like you could slide a bobhouse onto the lake from there, again depending on how big your house is.

Good luck and post up your adventures!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #236 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:36 PM »
So...after work i took a ride to the lake.

Cummings Beach is probably your best bet to launch a house depending on how big and how heavy it is. The snow banken has been knocked down and the hill to the lake looks good. Be careful on the left side of the hill going down onto the lake, we had a wash out but it's cautioned taped off. To the right is a big hole, check it out before launching

Foot of the lake has some big snow bankens but there is one spot in the middle of the road that looks like you could slide a bobhouse onto the lake from there, again depending on how big your house is.

Good luck and post up your adventures!

So the shoreline ice stayed intact Jiggin? Going out tomorrow and wanted to take the Argo out of Cummings...on that note how did the Wellington ramp fare?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #237 on: Jan 24, 2018, 03:51 AM »
Yes it did stay intact. Boat launch looked good. Cummings looked ok. No open water I could see along the shore line.  There was a lot of water on the ice it seemed.
Going out this evening w a crew to check on houses.
Be safe

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Went out this morning to semi crappy conditions.
Machines break thru a thin layer of ice with an inch of water over the thicker ice below: all houses looked high and dry but everyone’s 4x4’s have settled into the ice a bit. Still a solid 2” of wood above the crusty layer. NO holes opened up anywhere but most houses have a little puddle beneath them where it didn’t freeze.
I had to quit and come home because my Ion is not cutting all of a sudden.
Piss me off.
Tried new blades but installed them wrong the 1st time and maybe damaged them...my fault.
Took pictures of houses to show conditions but most every one looks the same.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #239 on: Jan 24, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Nice work Mowbizz....thank you very much man. I assume your house is all set?

We are planning to come out and check on the other houses tonight after work.

Appreciate you taking pics. Surprised as how much water we got....those are 4"x4" blocks under my runners. Looks like we got a couple of inches of rain. Looks like we have some cold weather coming, that'll be good.

Thanks again Mowbizz!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.