Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2018  (Read 73258 times)

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2018
« Reply #120 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:25 AM »
Does anyone known if the Hebron beach is ok or if the river opened up ? I'm nervous my house might be floating  :-\
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:57 AM »
Won’t be able to get out there today but we would appreciate a report on how the houses look if anyone goes out! Thanks in advance!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #122 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:30 AM »
The flash freeze has begun!
Almost couldn’t get up my driveway after going to the dump...was just wet asphalt earlier.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #123 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:12 PM »
1/13/2018

Went out today after the sun came up so could get a better visual. Glad i did, It was very bad out there today.

Cummings beach is screwed. Open water along the shore line from Cummings Beach to the south end of the lake. Will be tough getting on there.
Wellington launch is porked. Open water there getting on after a few wheelers went onto the ice. We managed to get onto the ice and started tending houses. Total of 10 houses were fixed, 6 of which we needed to move, cut tie down holes and re-jack up on blocks. An all day event. I'll post up pics. Wind was whipping and the ice was starting to button up however there are big holes and big cracks all over the place, some are very hard to see. We had 2 folks fall in but no one was hurt. Where ever there was an open hole or crack, the wind was keeping it from freezing. There also seems to be a massive hole (100 yards long and very wide) just north of Mayhew. I got a video of it. These holes would definitely swallow an ATV tire or man so care is needed.

Mobizz we had to tend to your house, had to move it, re-tie it down and jacked it up. You right side tie down bolt / hook is bent. You should bring another to replace it. No damage to your house, we were real careful but it had to be moved. I'll get with you on tie down blocks and jack up blocks so you can see what we are using.

Today when moving house, we had to use 2 wheelers, one in the front and one in the back holding the house from blowing down the lake. I can't stress how bad it was out there but we managed. Cold, Windy and Wet. Good work today guys! Really pulled together and came through, Newfound Circus style :)

I took some before and after pics and some videos but can't post videos on here unless i go through Youtube....i'll try that later.

Everyone north of Mayhew is all set for tonight.

Tomorrow morning i plan to bring some 12" x 16' planks so we can get on at Wellington. Use caution and go slow.

Cheers.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:14 PM »
1/13/2018

Went out today after the sun came up so could get a better visual. Glad i did, It was very bad out there today.

Cummings beach is screwed. Open water along the shore line from Cummings Beach to the south end of the lake. Will be tough getting on there.
Wellington launch is porked. Open water there getting on after a few wheelers went onto the ice. We managed to get onto the ice and started tending houses. Total of 10 houses were fixed, 6 of which we needed to move, cut tie down holes and re-jack up on blocks. An all day event. I'll post up pics. Wind was whipping and the ice was starting to button up however there are big holes and big cracks all over the place, some are very hard to see. We had 2 folks fall in but no one was hurt. Where ever there was an open hole or crack, the wind was keeping it from freezing. There also seems to be a massive hole (100 yards long and very wide) just north of Mayhew. I got a video of it. These holes would definitely swallow an ATV tire or man so care is needed.

Mobizz we had to tend to your house, had to move it, re-tie it down and jacked it up. You right side tie down bolt / hook is bent. You should bring another to replace it. No damage to your house, we were real careful but it had to be moved. I'll get with you on tie down blocks and jack up blocks so you can see what we are using.

Today when moving house, we had to use 2 wheelers, one in the front and one in the back holding the house from blowing down the lake. I can't stress how bad it was out there but we managed. Cold, Windy and Wet. Good work today guys! Really pulled together and came through, Newfound Circus style :)

I took some before and after pics and some videos but can't post videos on here unless i go through Youtube....i'll try that later.

Everyone north of Mayhew is all set for tonight.

Tomorrow morning i plan to bring some 12" x 16' planks so we can get on at Wellington. Use caution and go slow.

Cheers.

Wow! No idea it was so bad out there!
We went to the lake just around 9am to look with binoculars and thought all was ok.
Thank you for tending our house!
Do you mean the ratchet strap tie down is bent or the loop on the house that it attaches to?
Kind of confused about that!
Thanks again for your attention to our house...we had to be out of town this afternoon.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #125 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Wow! No idea it was so bad out there!
We went to the lake just around 9am to look with binoculars and thought all was ok.
Thank you for tending our house!
Do you mean the ratchet strap tie down is bent or the loop on the house that it attaches to?
Kind of confused about that!
Thanks again for your attention to our house...we had to be out of town this afternoon.

Sorry Mobizz. No, Not the ratchet strap but the Loop on the house that it attaches to....the one by your runners. On the right side of the door. That loop is now straight....not a loop no more.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #126 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Mobizz, your house came off the blocks, blew down the lake a bit and had 2 tie downs holding you in. There are holes on the north, west and east side of your house, hence the need to move it. We bumped you outta there onto better ice...now your high n dry. i have videos of your house before we moved it that i will try to post up. need to be careful tomorrow going out, hopefully the holes will freeze in.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:39 PM »
It always impresses me the way the circus takes care of its members. You guys fish right!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #128 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:55 PM »
Some more pics:

Before....

after...

Hole on the north end.....

Broken runner....

All set...

Much better....

Holes around the house....

Wellington Launch....

Offline Will I am

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Hey fellas new to the group I have a large task at hand could use some advice I have a 10 x 12 house to put out and am going to need a hand with the new sheen on the lake my sled won't pull it any in put?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #130 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:07 PM »
We had a good crew out there today that came together, Tippin, Laker Taker, Psycho, Mason (needs handle, finally of age), Garrett (underage, no handle), Troutfreak & Walker Ranger.
It was like nascar pit crew, everyone grabbed chisels, rope, tie downs, straps, jack blocks and got it down quickly.
I lost my eye glasses twice from the wind blowing them off my face, the second time they went some where down the lake, thought they went into a hole but Laker Taker and Tippin found them for me. I stayed back and helped with the houses as i couldn't really see far anyways so i was no good there. Strapped them on after that.
Like i said earlier, 2 folks went fell into holes that you couldn't really see due to water white caps on the surface. One had to stay inside the house and dry out while the other continued on with 1 leg getting soaked, both i think Tea-bagged the ice i believe :laugh:
i thought i was all set as my house was high n dry however there was a pond around my house. Finally realized it was my camera hole that opened up to 3'x4' hole on the north end of my house. You couldn't really see it due to the wave so i took my chisel and felt the size of it with that. Tie down holes and fishing holes were frozen but my camera hole opened up and the wave created a big hole. Had to bump it.

Bringing planks tomorrow to get onto Wellington, gonna need em i think. We'll create some sort of a bridge tomorrow morning, i got a sucker and some smelt to kill. Now im tired and sore........

ps: Go Pats!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #131 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Hey fellas new to the group I have a large task at hand could use some advice I have a 10 x 12 house to put out and am going to need a hand with the new sheen on the lake my sled won't pull it any in put?

Get a wheeler with chains or screws or add spikes to your sled and bring a bunch of buddies?

Where are you planning to launch it? Keep in mind we have snow coming this week too. The shore line as of today is junk.

Offline Will I am

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:14 PM »
I am glad we could help the 2 guys off the ice at Wellington today .

Offline Will I am

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:23 PM »
Wellington I would like to get it across to the beach on the other side have a camp on that side and I mean camp lol.

Offline Will I am

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:33 PM »
To whittamore point.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #135 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:43 PM »
Jiggin always enjoy reading your posts. Special group of people you have there at Newfound Lake hope the companionship get passed onto future generations of ice fishermen.Great work watching over each others shanties.  :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: Looks like yesterday's rain created a slew of problems for you folks. Glad to read both person who fell in suffered not serious injuries and were able to get back onto ice surface.
Steve

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:20 PM »
We had a good crew out there today that came together, Tippin, Laker Taker, Psycho, Mason (needs handle, finally of age), Garrett (underage, no handle), Troutfreak & Walker Ranger.
It was like nascar pit crew, everyone grabbed chisels, rope, tie downs, straps, jack blocks and got it down quickly.
I lost my eye glasses twice from the wind blowing them off my face, the second time they went some where down the lake, thought they went into a hole but Laker Taker and Tippin found them for me. I stayed back and helped with the houses as i couldn't really see far anyways so i was no good there. Strapped them on after that.
Like i said earlier, 2 folks went fell into holes that you couldn't really see due to water white caps on the surface. One had to stay inside the house and dry out while the other continued on with 1 leg getting soaked, both i think Tea-bagged the ice i believe :laugh:
i thought i was all set as my house was high n dry however there was a pond around my house. Finally realized it was my camera hole that opened up to 3'x4' hole on the north end of my house. You couldn't really see it due to the wave so i took my chisel and felt the size of it with that. Tie down holes and fishing holes were frozen but my camera hole opened up and the wave created a big hole. Had to bump it.

Bringing planks tomorrow to get onto Wellington, gonna need em i think. We'll create some sort of a bridge tomorrow morning, i got a sucker and some smelt to kill. Now im tired and sore........

ps: Go Pats!

Lol at “teabagging the ice”
I didn’t think that was possible...😳

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Hebron beach was open water from the edge .....house still there couldn't get to it to check on by it appears okay ....hoping the next few days will lock it back up .....scary stuff mother nature can be cruel
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Jan 14, 2018, 02:41 PM »
A great big thank you to Jiggin and the rest of the boys that sacrificed their day tending and fixing shack problems! Shobizz and I really appreciate the hard work!
Looks like we have some good ice weather ahead to build that black ice back up! And to Mother Nature...keep your freakin rain for the city folk!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Jan 14, 2018, 03:20 PM »
Very nice post and report. Good work to the crew helping everyone out. Crazy how fast things can change.  Hopefully it buttons up fast.
Salmonemia

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Great team effort, you guys are very much appreciated

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #141 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Agree'd, great team work.

01/14/2018

Decided to wait until the sun came up before venturing to the lake although i was up at 4 am. Wanted to see how if the holes froze over last night.

Brought 3 planks and got some help hauling them to the launch. The launch was pretty much buttoned back up but was concerned about traffic braking it back up so put down the planks for folks to use for crossing. Worked well, helped a few folks over the planks and off i went to the other side of the lake.

It appeared the holes froze over after the wind calmed down last night and nothing but glare ice, all snow is gone now. Definitely a creepers day. I was surprised to see where Laker Taker's house was, the water was still open and a huge hole. Laker Taker filled it in with slush and made a wind break so to stop the wind as best as it could so it would freeze up before the snow comes this week. That would be scary to have it filled in with snow and outta site.

Wind picked up shortly after i got to my bobhouse. I took a peek at where my house was prior to moving it and now glad i did yesterday. There was a massive hole (but skimmed froze over) that would of put my house in jeopardy if i hadn't moved it.

Took a bit to get set up as i seemed to have tweaked my back yesterday. Never had back problems before but i now understand how painful it can be. Pushed through it so i could get my lines in. Unfortunately my propane Eskimo auger wouldn't start and luckily Zack Attack stopped by and i used his (Thanks Zack Attacked and great to see you again).

Caught 3 lakers today and lost 2 bringing my season total to 17 lakers. All caught on the TD Kastmaster and sucker meat. They did not want smelt today, wouldn't even look at it.

Green Goblin stopped by today and had a nice visit. He walked from Mid Mayhew Island to where i was, not a short walk by any means and the wind was cold. These guys are tough to say the least.

Tippin was having ATV problems, Psycho and Laker Taker came to his aid. Got him running again. That's good otherwise i would of towed him back to Wellington.

Plenty of good chatter on the radio today.

Other folks were catching lakers today as well but i heard the visibility on the underwater camera was poor on the west side of the lake due to the fowler river raging the last couple of days pouring in silt. You could see it yesterday when we were working on the houses how brown the ice was.

Tippin helped me load back up the ramps and off i went home to spend some time with my grandson. Next weekend he'll be coming out to do some fishing with us.

Loading videos onto Youtube and will post later....hated to leave the lake today but all good things must come to an end eventually.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #142 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Some videos from yesterday. Watch in HD

My house surrounded by water. Water coming up from the camera hole and wouldn't freeze due to the wind. You couldn't see the holes as they blended in under the water

Open water hole

Open water hole continued..

Pretty blue water / ice but not safe

Helping each other move houses, had to do the tandem method due to the high winds and glare ice would of taken the house to the foot of the lake....

Had to move another house due to holes...

Mowbizz's house. Had to move due to holes....

Laker Taker's ice hole....still didn't freeze up over night.

Hope you can view them.

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Incredible, and slightly terrifying.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:54 PM »
That's crazy!  :cookoo:

Kudos to the rescue crew!  :clap:

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #145 on: Jan 14, 2018, 09:30 PM »
WOW!!! :o

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:09 AM »
What type of radios are you using to communicate and what channel do you all use? Thanks

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #147 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:31 AM »
What type of radios are you using to communicate and what channel do you all use? Thanks

I use a Motorola MS350R 35-Mile Talkabout Waterproof 2-Way Radio. Although they say 35 miles, there's no way that is accurate. A couple miles for sure.

I like them cause they float and are waterproof (tested by accident).

We are on channel 5.5

If you get a radio and it has only 1 big 5 with no little 5, you can listen but can't talk. Any motorola FRS radio will work as long as it has a Big 5 and a little 5

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Got a little late start this morning as the lock and the hitch mechanism on my trailer were frozen...had to get the torch to thaw them out.
Got to the shack around 9-9:30 and drilled holes for jigs and cameras.
Got set up and we’re covered up in lakers right away and I landed one and put it back. A couple of slams and misses and now it’s quieted down except for sniffers and cruisers.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #149 on: Jan 15, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Got to the shack around 9-9:30 and drilled holes for jigs and cameras.
Got set up and we’re covered up in lakers right away and I landed one and put it back. A couple of slams and misses and now it’s quieted down except for sniffers and cruisers.

Glad to hear! Was hoping we didn't put you on a log pile or something bad when we bumped it.

Go Go Get Em!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.