The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Burnett's Pond in Savoy  (Read 1970 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Burnett's Pond in Savoy
« on: Dec 04, 2021, 04:03 PM »
My car is still in the shop so, after bringing our older son at work, my wife dropped me off at Burnett's Pond about 10:15 AM for ice fishing.

There was about 5" of ice on the Pond.

After setting up my standard array of three tip ups, a dead stick and a jigging rod, I started fishing a little after 10:30 AM. 

Unfortunately, my local bait guy does not have shiners yet, so I had to make do with nightcrawlers and butter worms from WalMart.

The temperatures were in the upper 20's, and the day was mostly cloudy, with a light (5 mph) breezen and feathered layers of clouds that occasionally allowed glimpses of sun and blue sky to poke through - - although the sky finally cleared later in the afternoon.

A father whom I know from Town arrived with his middle school aged son about the same time I did to test his son's ice skates and a radio controlled car - - but left an hour or so later. 

Another father from Springfield (I think he said his Ice Shanty handle was something like RangerDragon) and his high school-aged son walked out a little while later to scout the ice conditions on Burnett's (among other local ponds) for a future ice fishing trip and chatted for a half hour or so before leaving.

Other than that, I had the place to just myself and the resident ravens for the rest of the day, aside from a few folks that I saw in the distance walking (some with their dogs) along the dam at the edge of the Pond.

Fishing was slow but relatively steady.

I caught one 17" pickerel on the jig rod, and nine (7" to 12") perch - - one on a tip up, one on the deadstick and the rest on my jig rod.

There were also a few "misses" (i.e., fish that got away) along with the "hits."

I also listened to the radio and ate a cold lunch (home-made granola, an apple and a small bottle of home-made red wine).

Around 3:15 PM, I picked up my gear and walked up the hill to the parking lot to meet my wife, who was supposed to pick me up at 3:30 PM.

Unbeknownst to me, my wife was having trouble with the brakes to her van, so my buddy Mike was kind enough to pick up first me and then my older son and drove us home.  Thanks, Mike!

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Burnett's Pond in Savoy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2021, 04:37 PM »
Surprising the difference in ice build up there versus around Dalton and south where I work. Just skim ice on a few ponds.  Hope to catch up soon

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2021, 06:01 PM »
It sure is nice to have an ice report to read. With that said, I am quite disappointed with your lunch report.
  “ ate a cold lunch (home-made granola, an apple and a small bottle of home-made red wine).”
We have come to expect so much more from you.
Always love your reports and look forward to reading them all winter long. Cheers!
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2021, 03:20 PM »
Went to Burnett around 11:30 - 1:30.  Had a couple bites didn’t land anything. Set up a few tip ups and jigged. One jig bite one tip up bite.  Only had plastics so didn’t expect much. Was hoping to be able to find worms on my way.  Found ice up to 7” on the pond and down to 4”

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2021, 04:05 PM »
Only had plastics so didn’t expect much. Was hoping to be able to find worms on my way.  Found ice up to 7” on the pond and down to 4”

Yes, it's annoying - - no shiners available yet, and a lot of the gas station-type bait dealers have stopped carrying worms for the winter.

I had to get my worms (nightcrawlers and butter worms) during the week at WalMart.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2021, 06:36 AM »
Don't forget you can hit pet shops, most carry some type of "grub" that can be used for bait...

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Don't forget you can hit pet shops, most carry some type of "grub" that can be used for bait...

Great point.  Plan on it this winter.  Thanks for the reminder.

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Same for live bait, they carry Rosie's, perfect trout/crappie size and damm cheap too, bought 100 of them this spring for 6$

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2021, 05:07 AM »
Heyyy  BT!!    Hello again!!!  Good to hear you sharin your trips again!!  Lookin forward to lots more please!!  Stay safe and well please!!  :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2021, 07:14 AM »
Same for live bait, they carry Rosie's, perfect trout/crappie size and damm cheap too, bought 100 of them this spring for 6$

Using fish purchased from a pet store is illegal in Massachusetts since they haven't gone through the licensing procedures. Of course, the chances of getting caught are about nil.

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2021, 07:17 AM »
Using fish purchased from a pet store is illegal in Massachusetts since they haven't gone through the licensing procedures. Of course, the chances of getting caught are about nil.

I looked for any information on that and didn't find anything, rosies are just pink shiners anyways

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2021, 12:03 PM »
nice report as always ;D

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2021, 07:20 AM »
I looked for any information on that and didn't find anything, rosies are just pink shiners anyways

Yes, rosies are a legal shiner...if bought from a bait store.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2021, 05:26 PM »
With the forecast of rain for Saturday how will it affect the ice? I've got a lil guy that has the ich and wants to get out before christmas. Planning a tripfor him around the area.  Just want to make sure he and everyone else will be safe.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2021, 08:37 PM »
With the forecast of rain for Saturday how will it affect the ice? I've got a lil guy that has the itch and wants to get out before Christmas. Planning a trip for him around the area.  Just want to make sure he and everyone else will be safe.

I'm pretty sure the Savoy State Forest ponds (Bog, Burnett's and North) should be OK for ice fishing this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.