Author Topic: Custom vs China  (Read 7393 times)

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Custom vs China
« on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:09 PM »
OK great topic Custom rods vs China rods. Some members like Hawkeye truly believe custom is all hype and just assembled China stuff just differ colors of thread or a couple lengths. I'm not saying that there arnt any bogus custom shops but there's some waaay better custom shops than there are big companies assembling rods in China. So let's hear from everyone and make it a great debate. In the end I'm for whatever makes people happy and gives them enjoyment!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Custom vs China
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:12 PM »
Heres Hawkeyefish view from the Tickle Stick thread....

The fact that you think any of those "custom" builders you listed, except Thorne Bros isn't "China crap" is hilarious. Where do you think their blanks come from? Only TB utilizes a blank from the states, that's fact.
And this "custom" crap you vomit about...it's so custom you get to select a length they have available, in an action the have available, with a handle they have available..and ohhhh, I get to choose my thread wrap color! Unless I'm at a store or show, then it's so custom I got to pick it off a rack, next to the HT and Meatstick offerings. 

Please. You're a tickle me fool for thinking companies like Tuned up terds aren't buying blanks out of china, paying someone $.75 cents a guide to wrap it and playing you for a fool for 'Mercian made, yeehaw. 

Custom isn't a thread wrap. 

And there are plenty of quality sticks made by good companies, don't be such a pretend elitist. And I doubt every angler not using a fake "custom," is a sellout. That would probably include 99% of this board and the general ice angling population. Especially, when you apparently fish the same blanks, at quadruple the charge. 

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:15 PM »
 :icefish:
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:16 PM »
Having beautiful, light weight, sensitive, functional pieces of art make me happy:)

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Well, I know I have a custom Ugly Stick because it is Uglier than all the others!    >:D

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:43 PM »
Missoula, where do you get your rods?

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:47 PM »
I've got a buddy that has made myself a couple of custom rods! They are awesome... I was able to select everything, but left a lot to his judgement because he has made quite a few and knows what works. I have one with a shorter handle, one that is a bit longer overall, chose my wrap colors, and so on. That said I have also sold a few for him,.. the people that bought those were able to choose from the selection I had. No less custom I feel in workmanship but maybe not ecxactly what they would have created... Basically what I'm saying is he uses his best judgement to create the best rods he can at a certain price-point! Where do his guides come from?  :callcops: I'm not sure.... Is that the same as what Hawkeyefish is saying? Dunno? I think i just understand it differently and am not arguing a different point , just less jaded. Whew! All that said I do like the american company, china made frabill rod/reel combo of mine a lot and so it goes...  :tipup:  :icefish:

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:26 AM »
Wyo, Brickers custom rods:)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:31 AM »
Nothing makes me happier than hearing someone paid into the hundreds for a "custom" ice Rod. Keep it up boys, you're good for the economy.

Buy or build what you like. Pad your ego with what makes you feel good.

The rod don't make the fisherman!
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2014, 04:59 AM »
Not really sold on the whole Custom Rod trend.  Are they better than Clam, Frabill, HT? Sure.  Are they better than St.Croix, Fenwick, or even Berkley, Shakespeare(ugly stick)? Ehh, doubt it.  I guess if ya got the bucks and want an over priced stick of fiberglass or graphite for your arsenal then more power to ya.  Anyone who thinks a custom rod will increase their catch rate is just plain silly.  It is more of a bragging item than anything else IMO.  Nice rods don't get me wrong, but waaaay to expensive.  Been doin it for too many years without em'.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:34 AM »
I build my own rods. I select every component, nothing is a kit. Doesnt get much more custom than that. The best part is the quality and the components are 5x better and half the price than what u get from a rod shop.

Here is a rod I built specifically for pistol gripping my Teardrop Reel. The split grip reel seat allow me to rest my index finger directly on the rod blank. Any vibration in the blank and I can feel it. Cost about $25 to make.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:38 AM »
I'd like to have a custom rod to match with my BB 6061.
But I do have some good older berkley Dave Genz Signature rods that I really like so until they break I'll keep using them.
I am sure there are several custom rod makers using american made blanks. If Thorne Brothers can get them others can and will too.
There are also different levels of custom. For instance if you buy a thorne brothers sweetheart rod that is of their stock design it isn't as custom as one that you choose everything on.
When I make my custom fishing jigs I source as many american made parts as possible. The parts aren't all available in an American made product so sometimes I have to deal with what's available.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:39 AM »
Building your own rods and catching fish on them  is what its all about. ;D
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2014, 06:54 AM »
So a good quality custom rod cost how much compared to a good China assembled rod? Last ice show I was at I saw some nice custom rods that were less in price than some of the St Croix, Genz, Mitchels ect.... There was also a guy specializing in long rods 50" plus nice moderate bend. I haven't seen any long rods in the commercial industry like that except for soft water fishing. I suppose technically you could put a spring on one of those with some success. It can be argued that the majority of parts are China made. It's what they do with those pieces that separates custom from China. If I can support a local custom guy for the same money as a Genz series rod that's sold out of a local shop. I'm supporting the local guy and the local shop at the sa.e time. If I can buy a tungsten China jig like fiska vs a custom painted jig from a guy like Brantner that has a far better product imo of course I'm supporting that. There's even custom guys out there that take it to a whole different level. Hand sanded blanks custom tuned to the different jigs for finesse fishing. Removable hook retrievers in the back of the rod of course a rod like that is going to be expensive there's a bit of time involved doing all of that. Custom length to fit my exact height when I'm standing outside. I could care less about how cool it looks although I've seen some nice looking rods with crazy thread work and killer airbrush paintjobs. Sure it's the fishermen too like RG mentioned but there's just so many more options with the custom side that is not available from the big boy commercial China assembled rods. I guess I fail to see the quadruple the price theory when comparing apples to apples in custom.vs China unless I look at Cherrywood or HT Blues. Sure at that point nothing will compete with that and they get the job done. Tickle Stick however for the same money or slightly higher I can buy a way better quality built rod from a local custom shop that cares about the spine of the blank and guides that are lined up. Local builders care and take pride in what they build. China could care less about the product they built and why would they?

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2014, 07:00 AM »
Hey Baitbucket, where,d you get that handle from? i,ve built open water rods before ,n, gonna try ice rods now. also , would that fit a full size blank(7 ft.)? thanks. wire

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2014, 07:14 AM »
Buying any old rod and reel and then going out and catching fish with it is a great feeling. Most of the devices people use today are gimmicks. People will make anything if they think there is enough people that will fall for it. Take the Hummer as an example. Really people bought into that huge piece of garbage. Oh look how big my car is! It gets me 5 MPG and wears out tires faster then your car. The brakes are great the first 5 trips.

I have 2 Custom rods my friend talked me into getting years ago. They sit in my shed all the time. But hey they say Lefty on them. One is a Snagging Rod and the other is an Ice fishing rod.
<===Lefty===

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I love the guys who tell me the rods and equipment doesn't matter while I fish circles around them, catch bigger, more, and more consistently. If you dont think better equipment improves your catch rate your just plain ignorant! I have a fair share of customs and some I prefer over others but if you can present your lure more precise then it makes a difference in your catch. Having a longer rodwith back bone makes a huge difference in landing bigger fish that have bigger head shakes. Custom rods should make a difference and if they don't that says more about the fisherman than rod that's all I'm saying.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:48 AM »
I catch plenty of fish using my china factory equipment.   Never been out fished by someone 'cause they were using a "custom" rod.    Isn't a rod out there that is going to make the fish bite.

Its way more important to have the right action of rod and know how to use it.

even in open water bass tournies, I always laughed to myself when I would fish against guys using GLoomis tackle, big fast bass boats....here I am using cheap bass pro rods in my aluminum boat and cashing checks.   ;D

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:00 AM »
To each there own, but what really matter is having a rod your comfortable with and confident in regardless of price.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:05 AM »
To each there own, but what really matter is having a rod your comfortable with and confident in regardless of price.

x2. That is the bottom line. I've started making my own rods this year and having a blast doing it. Where the parts come from, I don't give a darn. If I like the outcome and how they fish its priceless to me.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:16 AM »

and that is THE TRUTH :flex: 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:24 AM »
To each their own is about it. I was the only one catching fish the other day out of about 18 people. I only caught 3 but that was 3 more then the other 18 people. Cheap rod and reel using good lures and technique is all it takes. No technique and no fish. regardless of rod and reel.
When family and friends talk about fishing they always talk about how many fish I catch compared to them. Technique Technique Technique. If one doesn't work try another and another until you find the right one.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:31 AM »
If I can buy something assembled in the USA I will buy that before I buy anything from China. Support our country.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:36 AM »
OK guy's do you know where all the Custom Rod builders get their blanks? You don't think they make them by hand do you?
<===Lefty===

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:53 AM »
Technique Technique Technique. If one doesn't work try another and another until you find the right one.

Rod, line, and reel can all have drastic affects on technique.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Rod, line, and reel can all have drastic affects on technique.
I totally disagree. If we both use a one to 4 inch twitch on the jig you think your rod reel and line is going to do something special compared to mine? No on this planet it isn't.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:13 PM »
I totally disagree. If we both use a one to 4 inch twitch on the jig you think your rod reel and line is going to do something special compared to mine? No on this planet it isn't.

Line and rod will have an effect to some degree. Stiffer rod and a line with less stretch will respond faster. Limp rod slower response time making a more sluggish response, obviously a different action will occur.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:16 PM »
I prefer the China rods because it doesn't hurt as bad when I take the Dremel cuttoff blade and cut the tip off 3/4-1 inch in front of the last whipped on eye. I check a new rod candidates action at that eye and could care less if it's glass or carbon. For me the rod holds the reel, the proper weight European style strike indicator which I can now pop off and replace quickly, is short enough that I can produce the correct jigging technique and buffers the light line before the reel spool starts to spin. Matching the spring bobber to the weight of the jig and presenting the jig properly are my two biggest concerns once i pick up the rod.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:24 PM »
Line and rod will have an effect to some degree. Stiffer rod and a line with less stretch will respond faster. Limp rod slower response time making a more sluggish response, obviously a different action will occur.
Now were talking Stiffer rod vs what a limper rod. now it isn't apples to apples it is Apples to oranges. Common,both have a light weight rod and 4 pound test. There isn't going to be anything different under the ice. 1-4" twitch will not make any line stretch more than the other. Maybe if your talking about a 1/2 pound jig/lure.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.