Author Topic: shelter repair ideas  (Read 2664 times)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
shelter repair ideas
« on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:33 AM »
i have an Eskimo Quikfish 3 that has served me for around 6 years now, and i enjoy it quite a bit. my issue is that last season it simply fell apart.
2 of the pole assemblies have completely torn out the small grommet that holds them to the fabric of the shelter, and the other 2 walls will do the same thing in short order.

so far, i haven't been able to repair them; sewing the grommets back in place failed quickly, setting slightly larger grommets resulted in the poles not collapsing fully as they're supposed to, and using washers to "pinch" the fabric to the poles did the same thing as the grommet. my final thought being that i should either take it to an upholstery shop and have them try to fix it (probably with a sizable price tag) or to save up and buy a new shelter (also a sizable price tag)

any other ideas?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: shelter repair ideas
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:38 AM »
Some pics would help ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:11 AM »
When the integrigty of the fabric begins to fail not much can stop it from continuing / accelerating. Replacement of the fabric or shack might (unfortunately) be the option that can work. With the original material doing a repair usually only moves the weak spot to wherever the last repair was made.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:25 AM »
When the integrigty of the fabric begins to fail not much can stop it from continuing / accelerating. Replacement of the fabric or shack might (unfortunately) be the option that can work. With the original material doing a repair usually only moves the weak spot to wherever the last repair was made.

:tipup:
NBG

You may find you can buy just the tent itself from the manufacturer.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2014, 12:44 PM »
i'll try and get some pictures up this week, and i'll also see if i can't buy a replacement tent from Eskimo

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2014, 06:12 PM »
I had the same issue with a different brand. I repaired mine with the extra strong Gorilla duct tape; reinforcing the fabric and reinstalling the grommets. I also did one with some ripstop tent repair tape. The Gorilla tape worked best. Also, I found that my grommets did not align with the center of the hub which created extra tension on the fabric. Fixing this helped a good bit.

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2014, 01:30 PM »
I've had pretty good luck with tents etc. using a new square of canvas or other tough material. Sew is over the bad part front and back and install a new grommet. Usually it's just an inch or two around the original grommet that's weak. Sewi in a 6"x6" patch, I sometimes use mono as thread.

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2014, 01:34 PM »
They have the quickfish 3 on eBay for $102.99 from tc_store it says with defects but I received my hut it has nothing wrong with it at all and its free shipping
And so it begins........

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2014, 07:58 PM »
I've had pretty good luck with tents etc. using a new square of canvas or other tough material. Sew is over the bad part front and back and install a new grommet. Usually it's just an inch or two around the original grommet that's weak. Sewi in a 6"x6" patch, I sometimes use mono as thread.

That's exactly how a tent and awning shop would do the repair.

Canvas or poly would do
http://www.amazon.com/Nassimi-Imperial-Denier-Polyester-Fabric/dp/B00KQ2O7YW

You can also get good quality grommet kits from sewing or fabric shops for under $20

Catchin' Fish

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2014, 09:15 PM »
i'll give the canvas patch a try. Eskimo doesn't sell replacement tents, but they do sell shelter patches fo pretty darn cheap. i'll order a few of those and give it a shot. i'm pretty sure my dad has a grommet kit too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.