Author Topic: The new In-line Reels....my take  (Read 20036 times)

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The new In-line Reels....my take
« Reply #90 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:00 AM »
EC reel worked very nice. No problems encounted. Don,t try to do things too fast and you will be ok. Can,t wait to get back on the open water with it.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:28 AM »
I have 2 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061's ( wish I had oredered more) and they have been great and are my go to reels for just about everything...

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:48 PM »
I love fly reels that I'm using.  I don't have an EC or Black Betty, but since I spend most of my time fishing in 20 FOW + or - a few feet, the 1:1 ratio doesn't bother me.  I like them so much, it feels weird when I go back to a traditional spinning reel.
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #93 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I bought up 6 of the ECs @ $15/ea. Had some 6061s on preorder and ended up letting them go since over I look at both being the first generation of a new ice reel. No doubt that the future will have some changes done to these. Overall, very happy with the ECs. I'll buy into in the no line twist since I experience none all season. The free spool worked well and I liked the reel very much. Couple things I hope are addressed.

1. The drop between the rod and the reel and the EC was small than that of the 6061. I think the 6061 had it right. Not that I find the EC is horrible, but if you get gloves on your glove can catch your line and cause issues.

2. I found that several times my line would wrap around the knob on the reel to tightened it down. Some sort of a catch free knob would be great.

3. You definitely got to pay attention to what your doing with these. A little wind oryour line catching somewhere while you're letting line out can get you in trouble fast. Not sure how to exactly fix this, I guess it's just how it is. (not like any reel is automatic).

4. I found the drag to be Ok. When you have the drag set light, the knob likes to move so if there would be a way to tighten that down so a person can fine tune the drag.

Overall very happy, but excited for the Gen. 2s.

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:01 PM »
I bought a couple of the basic Black Betty reels.  They are quite nice for tight-lining, and have a nice feel in the hand.  I like the spacing from the reel to the rod, it is about right for me.  The major flaw with this reel is the drag knob.  It has a tendency to come loose while you are retrieving, sometimes to the point of coming off completely.  The reel will not hold a drag setting!  Too bad, other than that I thought it was a pretty nice reel. 

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #95 on: Mar 04, 2013, 04:36 AM »
Thank you for your replies guys, really appreciate it. I missed out on the EC deal.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:14 AM »
Well, now that the season is almost over, I was wondering what all you guys thought of the in-lines? How did they hold up? Perform? Problems? Hope you all had/ continue to have a great time out on the ice. Anxious to hear about the pros and cons! Thanks, tight lines.

I'm loving panfishing with my Frabil setup, same reel that SINX53 posted above mounted on an ultralight Frabil 24" ice rod. It's great and now I want in-lines for all my jigging rods.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Mar 08, 2013, 06:36 PM »
I bought up 6 of the ECs @ $15/ea. Had some 6061s on preorder and ended up letting them go since over I look at both being the first generation of a new ice reel. No doubt that the future will have some changes done to these. Overall, very happy with the ECs. I'll buy into in the no line twist since I experience none all season. The free spool worked well and I liked the reel very much. Couple things I hope are addressed.

1. The drop between the rod and the reel and the EC was small than that of the 6061. I think the 6061 had it right. Not that I find the EC is horrible, but if you get gloves on your glove can catch your line and cause issues.

2. I found that several times my line would wrap around the knob on the reel to tightened it down. Some sort of a catch free knob would be great.

3. You definitely got to pay attention to what your doing with these. A little wind oryour line catching somewhere while you're letting line out can get you in trouble fast. Not sure how to exactly fix this, I guess it's just how it is. (not like any reel is automatic).

4. I found the drag to be Ok. When you have the drag set light, the knob likes to move so if there would be a way to tighten that down so a person can fine tune the drag.

Overall very happy, but excited for the Gen. 2s.

I also scored 6 of them direct, I typically have my pinky finger on the spool when free spooling and yes when retrieving it would be nice to have a line guide to keep line (inline) with the spool! very much love them I have all 6 rigged and ready in my bucket.....its the only reel that I use
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #98 on: Mar 09, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I have a couple of the new clam ones. My only complaint is that it takes forever to reel up a fish from 35', compared to a spinning reel. They are handsome lil combos and function nicely. My gf likes it. I like the gap from the reel to the rod so I can hold it comfortably.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Thats why I have the multilyer with a free spool for deep water, work better than my spinning reels in 45'

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.