Author Topic: The new In-line Reels....my take  (Read 20032 times)

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
The new In-line Reels....my take
« on: Oct 31, 2012, 10:48 PM »

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
Re: Are these reels better than spincast?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2012, 10:54 PM »
It's said they don't create line twist. I have not personally tried a fly type real but have been thinking about it. I do however have a substantial investment in spinning reals.
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2012, 11:22 PM »
I have been using a fly reel for a few years now.   They are good for shallow water as most don't have a free spool feature (There is only one that I know of does, But good luck finding one now.) 
They do prevent line twist, thus minimal spinning of your jig. 
If I were to purchase a fly reel just for icefishing, I'd hold off til next year and get some reviews of the one made by eagle claw.  From what I have heard they have many features that other ice fishing / fly reel type reels don't yet have. (such as free spool).  But if you have a few laying around, by all means give one a try and see if you like it.

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2012, 08:11 AM »
I've also used fly reels for the last few years and have been happy with the results. It's nice to see that the ice fishing companies are all hitting the market withetheir own versions now. I still used spinning reels in deeper water (+15') but I really like the fly reels for reducing line twist without having to screw around with swivels. Also landing larger fish is a little different, just let your rod do most of the work and let go of the reel handle when the fish makes a run.

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Better?.. Nope!  they have their place. Like the guys above explained.  I think your presentation will catch fish, not the reel  ;) , NOT one fish I've caught has told me they prefer fly reels, fishermen will.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
The new In-line Reels....my take
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Headed over to my local GM to do a side-by-side comparison of the Clam Spooler, the Black Betty, and the Eagle Claw Inline Ice reel. These are MY impressions....after spending a half hour playing with all of them and tearing them apart. (Thanks to my 2 buds who are managers there.. ;D) I've spent years repairing/maintaining all types of reels, so this is my input from more of a "mechanical" point of view. Again, these are just MY points of view.

Clam Spooler: Lightweight, postive "click" drag, seems fairly well made, easy to use, should be OK for an in line reel...nothing special, though, IMO.

Black Betty: Heavy!!! Well made and finished product, drag was unimpressive to me. Very simple reel. Too heavy for a light panfish rod. Should last forever. OK for straight-lining.

Eagle Claw: I know EC does not have a good rep for quality; I own nothing of their products, other than their hooks, so this is the first EC reel I've looked at, ever.  However, someone did some QC on this reel.
VERY smooth action, anti-reverse has NO play or even a hint of wiggle. Balanced well.
Pulled graphite spool off, well made spool. Gears are heavier and actually look like greased "cut" gears. Smooth meshing. Has clicker setting and free spool buttons. Drag works smoothly; could tighten down a bit more. Did not seem as heavy as the Black Betty, but heavier than the Clam. A tad cumbersome, maybe, as far as balance, due to the bigger straight handle. Overall, a nice reel.

My choice? Hands down, the Eagle Claw. I just plain liked it, and was impressed by it's "action". Plus, it was marked $29.95, while the Black Betty was $39.95
The clam was also $29.95  It's the old Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge debate; I like to think that whatever works for ya is what you should get; not what everyone tells ya to. Good fishing!!!  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Re: The new In-line Reels....my take
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Now we just need you to get your hands on a Frabill 241 and we'll have the complete straight line review. Thanks Rebelss

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2012, 02:19 PM »
yeah, at least we got an unbiased review. now hopefully the black betty spammers will stop their  promo of it. just a heads up, any post deemed as pushing a product weather carried by a sponsor or not will be deleted . this will be the only warning.

HIMO
                                                                                                              Iceshanty & MFF Global Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2012, 02:29 PM »
This is not a real post. This is only a test. Being a lifetime Amsoil dealer, I've found I can't afford the cheaper products.    ;)2

Have it your way HIMO.    :whistle:

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Thanks for the review Rebs! Now im really looking forward to getting my EC reels in the mail. Hope mine have the fine QC work like the ones you handled did, ill be sure to let you guys know how it pans out.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I'm lost on the "Black Betty" spammer stuff.... ??? unaware of it, but...I just posted MY views of some reels with MY opinion, not to stir up anything or anybody. I guess ya can take it or leave it at that...

Reb

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Reb,

Thanks for the review,  look forward to a review after you have had it in action.  I just bought the spooler, and will give my thoughts about it after having it in action.  Although after reading your post, i'm kinda having buyers remorse.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2012, 03:07 PM »
Reb,

Thanks for the review,  look forward to a review after you have had it in action.  I just bought the spooler, and will give my thoughts about it after having it in action.  Although after reading your post, i'm kinda having buyers remorse.

Hey atif, I didn't buy one...happy with what I already have. DON'T have buyers remorse; those were MY opinions, from what I perceive that appeals to ME. I'm no expert on this stuff, just well-seasoned.  ;) Enjoy your purchase, if not, send it back!!! If everyone liked just one product, there'd be no competition and hence no improvements. Enjoy!  :)

Reb

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2012, 03:14 PM »
I'm lost on the "Black Betty" spammer stuff.... ??? unaware of it, but...I just posted MY views of some reels with MY opinion, not to stir up anything or anybody. I guess ya can take it or leave it at that...

Reb

your not missing anything Reb. we have a few people on the site who seem to promote the hell out of them reels while knowing the rules of the site.I don't want to bore you with Moderator stuff.

HIMO

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Played with the same reels at GM yesterday myself. I did like that the betty felt like I could run over it with a truck and it'd be ok. The clam spooler was ok and seemed like it would do well on shallow panfish. The Eagle seemed nicely put together and I liked the free spool button and that it is geared but I think some guys might not like that you can't switch the handle to the right side. Hoping to do a bit of jigging with the betty and the eagle this weekend out of the canoe for gills.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2012, 03:35 PM »
your not missing anything Reb. we have a few people on the site who seem to promote the hell out of them reels while knowing the rules of the site.I don't want to bore you with Moderator stuff.

HIMO
You don't bore us HIMO. We appreciate having moderators who moderate rather than dictate like they do on some other sites.  ;D ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2012, 03:46 PM »
You don't bore us HIMO. We appreciate having moderators who moderate rather than dictate like they do on some other sites.  ;D ;D

oh no!!! your not going to tell me to bend over are you??? LOL!!! what site might we be talking about??? LOL!!! thanks for the good  vibes.

HIMO

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2012, 03:56 PM »
Thanks for your opinion on the reels Reb! I haven't handled any of them yet, so it's kinda nice hearing about all three at once. Nice job! :thumbsup:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2012, 04:05 PM »
oh no!!! your not going to tell me to bend over are you??? LOL!!! what site might we be talking about??? LOL!!! thanks for the good  vibes.

HIMO
You know, the site where if you don't have an Otter, Marcum, Strikemaster, Polaris, St Croix  or Tundra you ain't squat. It's a special place ya know.  :whistle: ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Thanks makes me feel better about my order.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2012, 04:16 PM »
You know, the site where if you don't have an Otter, Marcum, Strikemaster, Polaris, St Croix  or Tundra you ain't squat. It's a special place ya know.  :whistle: ;D

is that the site that "he who has no name" belongs to???

HIMO

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2012, 04:37 PM »

HIMO
are you reffering to me  ??? Im not apart of any company except Hamilton Service Co. I actually dont like the betty they have out it just doesn't feel right. The spooler I preferred between the 2 actually! Im just excited for the new betty the EC I have ordered. I never tried to push ppl to buy it just posted some pics and said I was excited  :-\
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2012, 04:37 PM »
i bought a box full of assorted fishing gear this summer at an auction in the box was a couple of fly reels so i will be trying that myself this year for the first time

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Thanks for your opinion on the reels Reb! I haven't handled any of them yet, so it's kinda nice hearing about all three at once. Nice job! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Eddie!!! (and you others guys, too!) I'll drink to that!!!  ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2012, 05:38 PM »
I messed with the 241, spooler, and betty but not the Eagle Claw at Fleet Farm. I thought the 241 looked pretty good, and I liked the fact that it didn't have that silly long leg like the spooler or the betty. It had a shrouded spool so I could get a proper bottom grip like I do with spinning reels. I didn't like the exposed gears (under the shroud full of holes), I think stuff may get iced up. Only use will tell. The spooler was the lightest, and should work well. Again, I didn't like the extended foot. The Betty was huge, heavy, and clunky. I can't figure out why that leg is so long....

I would rank them in this order

Spooler
Betty

Will be waiting to get my hands on the eagle claw. If it isn't much better than these three offerings, I will stick with my Symetrys. I really don't have much problem with line twist and none of these reels beat what I have in any way. I get some pretty substantial OOPS pike and walleye while crappie fishing. It's nice to have a reel with good enough drag to land them.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2012, 06:17 PM »
I'm hoping the eagle claw gets to some different stores or online before ice season. I'd like to pick one up and play with it some, but I simply refuse to ever do business with gander mtn.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2012, 07:31 PM »
Thanks for the initial review Rebelss!

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2012, 07:47 PM »
I too thank you as I am very interested in this type of reel Ive always used machined fly reels and prefer them, am I hearing right that there will be a similar reel as the eagle claw from the other company called the 6061 coming out this winter.Glad to see this evolution happen its long over due, I can definitely see using these during the other seasons.Thanks you did a great job.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:52 AM »
I have been interested but I have so many combos that I just don't know how much I need one.   I read about it helps with line twists but I primarily go after pan fish and don't have a problem with this on my spinning reels.   I use mainly 2lb fluoro and some mono.   I think that I am going to wait for a season and see the reviews.   I liked the eagle claw and would have bought one but I think they are already sold out for season. 

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:00 AM »
I got 2 of the frabill tight line combos last year they do reduce line twist which gives you more sensitivity for the light  biters. Any depth over 15fow they are a hastle becaus you ether have to back reel or pull line out to get down where the fish are.  There is a new one out this year can't remember who makes it it's called black Betty they added a line guide to it as well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.