Author Topic: IceJunky.. Building my Arsenal 2011/12  (Read 12179 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
IceJunky.. Building my Arsenal 2011/12
« on: Oct 10, 2011, 09:37 PM »
I promised myself this would be a mellow year when it came to purchases, but I already see a big one on the horizon.. but for now I made my first rod purchase of the season, I bought a Whip'r panfish rod. I liked what I heard so I pulled the trigger and bought one today. I decided to go with the 28" version

better pic to follow when it arrives

surflizard

Re: IceJunky.. Building my Arsenal 2011/12
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:00 AM »
It Okay IJ, We understand ! There are Much worse Habits Right ? ;D  I too am curious about the action on those Whipper rods, they look like they have plenty of backbone ! I wonder if the tips are sensitive enough to show an uptake from a Crappie on a Micro jig ? Good luck with it and let us know what ya think of it this season.

Surf

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:49 AM »
Hope you like it IJ...I kinda have personal feelings toward this company (they played a large part in one of my college classes many moons ago). K and E was a small mom and pop outfit around here 30+ years ago, and still not real big in comparison to others. They were one of the originals to develop the "teardrop" jigs. Moon Jigs, Dot, Arnold are some brands they make now. The jigs in my tacklebox are about 90% of these type...been the best for me ove the years. They have also gotten into the tungsten jig market.

Guess it sounds like I'm plugging these guys a bit...what do you think Scott?...looking for another sponsor? Try Anglers Mart and see what they have to say :whistle:

Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape or form affiliated with the afforementioned ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:21 AM »
I would like to hear how you like the rod when you get it. I was looking at those also and was thinking about the 28" or 36".
<===Lefty===

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2011, 04:36 PM »
I promised myself this would be a mellow year when it came to purchases, but I already see a big one on the horizon.. but for now I made my first rod purchase of the season, I bought a Whip'r panfish rod. I liked what I heard so I pulled the trigger and bought one today. I decided to go with the 28" version

better pic to follow when it arrives

(Image removed from quote.)

Rod and reel look like junk to me.

http://www.anglersmart.com/product_info.php?products_id=158
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:38 AM »

http://www.anglersmart.com/product_info.php?products_id=158

Yup...I can always tell the quality of a product just by looking at a picture...it's how I've bought my cars and houses ::)............. ;D

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2011, 11:52 AM »
To each his own I guess, that reel looks like it has the long stroke spool system on and over the years the ones I had like that, have worked well for me ! Wonder who makes it ? Any Idea Ice ?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2011, 12:49 PM »
To each his own I guess, that reel looks like it has the long stroke spool system on and over the years the ones I had like that, have worked well for me ! Wonder who makes it ? Any Idea Ice ?

K and E Lures via Anglers Mart...they are virtually one and the same. I do not own this rod but I have been using their products for over 40 years and have no complaints about them...they make my go-to pannie jigs... I live about 20 mi. from them.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Can't beat their Bass Stoppers! Killer! ;D
Fish on!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2011, 09:07 PM »

I would say that 70% of the reels that come on an ice combo are junk, i did not buy the reel, only th rod. It arrived today and looks and feels good. Obviously the best test will be on the ice so we will have to wait an see

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2011, 06:23 PM »
made a small purchase tonight, saw these in the Ice guide and was interested.. now after making the purchase Im starting to wonder if these are actually legal in my area?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:28 PM »
made a small purchase tonight, saw these in the Ice guide and was interested.. now after making the purchase Im starting to wonder if these are actually legal in my area?

Looks like your ok with that rig, at least how I read the law.

A fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached. A hook includes a single-pointed or multiple-pointed hook on a common shaft but does not include a snagger or spring gaff. The number of hooks includes any single-pointed or multiple-pointed hooks that an assortment of lures are part of a lure.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165347.html

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Next purchase.. another rod, like i need another rod, but, the ice guide got me again. After reading the "rigger" article I decided to try out the Frabill ice hunter rods for my rigger. I only started using the rigger last season but really like it for splake

this is the M/H ice hunter, gotta love the tip on this rod, not super stoked on the reel seat, although it is placed in the sweet spot (for me that is)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Just an update to my post on the Whip'r rod. If you are looking at one I would suggest going longer then 24". even my small tica reels feel heavy on that rod.

that being said it is well ballanced witht he tica reel

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2011, 02:47 AM »
Next purchase.. another rod, like i need another rod, but, the ice guide got me again. After reading the "rigger" article I decided to try out the Frabill ice hunter rods for my rigger. I only started using the rigger last season but really like it for splake

this is the M/H ice hunter, gotta love the tip on this rod, not super stoked on the reel seat, although it is placed in the sweet spot (for me that is)

I hear ya on the reelseat. I just got a Bro series deadstick and that handle is a bit long for me. I like to be able to put my finger on the blank for better feel, but it is a deadstick and I most likely wont be doing very much jigging with anyway so it'll work for that purpose I guess. That is one of the things that has kept me from buying alot of the Frabill rods is the handles are to long for my liking, but some people like em that way and to each his own.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:19 PM »
not my first plastic order placed for this season.. but the first to arrive. I decided to test out the  the ice mite jr, ice mite magnum , the paddle bug and the Gojo. I also took advantage of the free sample pack they are offering.

these are some nice looking baits.. very surprised at how small some of them are.. have to be some of the smallest on the market.. the pannies are going to eat them up for sure

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:44 PM »
I really liked the gift pack also, those juniors are really sweet looking. I grabbed some of the glow paddle bugs also.
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2011, 10:04 PM »
the ice mite jr paired with a 3mm tungsten is Deadly......I spent a ton of time with these plastics last winter and they are the BEST on the market right now.....

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2011, 07:35 AM »
not my first plastic order placed for this season.. but the first to arrive. I decided to test out the  the ice mite jr, ice mite magnum , the paddle bug and the Gojo. I also took advantage of the free sample pack they are offering.these are some nice looking baits.. very surprised at how small some of them are.. have to be some of the smallest on the market.. the pannies are going to eat them up for sure

Is that part of the free gift pack IJ?

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:20 AM »
Is that part of the free gift pack IJ?

That would be nice wouldn't it!
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:47 AM »
one of those packs is the free sample. the free sample pack provides you with mixed colors and 1 of each bait they make.. the rest I bought.. @ 1.99 a pack. no complaints

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:42 PM »
I have always used little atom nuggies but ordered some of J and S plastics and recieved em last week plus their promo pack.  The are very nice looking plastics.  I cant wait to put em in action.
]

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Icejunky, didn't you buy a quiver stick and fly reel?? Wondering how the fly reel thing worked out. Thinking about trying one this year, but have no clue about size, brand, price etc...
Paul

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Icejunky, didn't you buy a quiver stick and fly reel?? Wondering how the fly reel thing worked out. Thinking about trying one this year, but have no clue about size, brand, price etc

Yep, I bought one last season and I loved it enough that i will be adding a second one this year. My fly reel was an okuma Sierra they are about $30 a pop. Most guys seem to be using the Okuma SLV they run closer to the $60 mark.  As for the size, mine is a 4/5 and it seems perfect

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Thank you sir, and good fishing this year!!
Paul

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2011, 09:23 PM »
here is a fairly big purchase for this season..

this thing should take some sweet on ice pics and movies

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Here is my first ice jig order of the season, read about them in In Fisherman and wanted to give them a shot. I ordered them from sportsmans direct, they were great to deal with, I was able to order items not on the website, they emailed me to ensure i got my order and they tossed in a free pack of plastics.. cant ask for more

Kens Hooks

and a few Little Atoms plastics

Offline wifisherman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Interesting looking spoons for sure.. Looks like they will have a unique action with that L shape. Let us know how they work!

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2011, 08:48 AM »
The GoPro camera looks sweet. Ive really been thinking about getting one also!!! The cool thing is it can be mounted virtually anywhere. The bike mount would proly work in a portable shanty, just locking over the poles!!! Let me know how that thing works out!!!!

Slow down already, I thought you were gonna take it easy on purchases this season.........LOL
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:14 AM »
The GoPro is sweet! I am looking to do the same soon here. I ride motocross and do a lot of duck hunting and it would be sweet mounted in my shanty, my helmet and my gun barrel. What model is that?
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.