Author Topic: Filling 1# Propane Tanks  (Read 18963 times)

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
Re: Little green bombs!
« Reply #60 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:44 PM »
not saying that i did this or it should be done .... but a 20 pounder and 30 06 makes a really big boom ... enough to set off a fire alarm and .... get the troopers called on ya  :o
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline Lurker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Oct 30, 2010, 10:06 PM »
It's been a long, long time.  I've refilled a hundred 1lb'ers.  No fires, no explosions and no $100,000 fines here's how I do it!

Just don't let my homeowner's find out!  They might not like my methods!

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #62 on: Oct 30, 2010, 10:55 PM »
OH NO!  You brought up Little Green Bombs from the depths of the archives.  Here we go!!   ;D ;D ;D  Fin

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Oct 30, 2010, 11:09 PM »
Been there-dun-that!  With out the boom.  Propane need to be at 60% concentration to go boom!  THE MAJOR HAZARD IS STATIC WHEN YOU ARE CONNECTING AND DISCONNECTING AND ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF SPARKS WHEN YOU ARE USING METAL PLIERS ON THE METAL RELIEF VALVE IF THE PLIERS SLIP OFF.

Farley... once again... you REALLY need to get your facts straight before you post them. Propane with ignite at anywhere from 2.1% all the way up to 10.1%.... no higher.... no lower. Of course... if over 10.1% there isn't enough O2 left in the air to support a flame.... that same air probably wont support life either.

The Flammable Range (Explosive Range)  is the range of a concentration of a gas or vapor that will burn (or explode) if an ignition source is introduced.

Below the explosive or flammable range the mixture is too lean to burn and above the upper explosive or flammable limit the mixture is too rich to burn. The limits are commonly called the "Lower Explosive or Flammable Limit" (LEL/LFL) and the "Upper Explosive or Flammable Limit" (UEL/UFL).

The lower and upper explosion concentration limits for some common gases are indicated in the table below. Some of the gases are commonly used as fuel in combustion processes.

Fuel Gas "Lower Explosive or Flammable Limit"
(LEL/LFL)
(%) "Upper Explosive or Flammable Limit"
(UEL/UFL)
(%)
Acetaldehyde 4 60
Acetone 2.6 12.8
Acetylene 2.5 81
Ammonia 15 28
Arsine 5.1 78
Benzene 1.35 6.65
n-Butane 1.86 8.41
iso-Butane 1.80 8.44
iso-Butene 1.8 9.0
Butylene 1.98 9.65
Carbon Disulfide 1.3 50
Carbon Monoxide 12 75
Cyclohexane 1.3 8
Cyclopropane 2.4 10.4
Diethyl Ether 1.9 36
Ethane 3 12.4
Ethylene 2.75 28.6
Ethyl Alcohol 3.3 19
Ethyl Chloride 3.8 15.4
Fuel Oil No.1 0.7 5
Hydrogen 4 75
Isobutane 1.8 9.6
Isopropyl Alcohol 2 12
Gasoline 1.4 7.6
Kerosine 0.7 5
Methane 5 15
Methyl Alcohol 6.7 36
Methyl Chloride 10.7 17.4
Methyl Ethyl Ketone 1.8 10
Naphthalene 0.9 5.9
n-Heptane 1.0 6.0
n-Hexane 1.25 7.0
n-Pentene 1.65 7.7
Neopentane 1.38 7.22
Neohexane 1.19 7.58
n-Octane 0.95 3.20
iso-Octane 0.79 5.94
n-Pentane 1.4 7.8
iso-Pentane 1.32 9.16
Propane 2.1 10.1
Propylene 2.0 11.1
Silane 1.5 98
Styrene 1.1 6.1
Toluene 1.27 6.75
Triptane 1.08 6.69
p-Xylene 1.0 6.0

Note! The limits indicated are for gas and air at 20oC and atmospheric pressure.

That didn't really cut and paste so well.... so below is the link that I got the info from.....

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/explosive-concentration-limits-d_423.html

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #64 on: Oct 31, 2010, 05:15 PM »
Wow Melbs7, thats one heck of a website!  I still don't think that it's extremely dangerous to refill the "Little green bombs"  when I was younger I tried everything to try to get 1blers to explode for fun.  Lets put it this way we never had an all-out explosion.  Threw one in a fire and ran, it just blew the relief valve and burned off, shot a couple, just a big white cloud, then we set one next to the fire and shot it with a .223 it turned in to an unguided rocket then we quit playing with propane.  My biggest fear with filling 1lb'ers is static or if any air enters the empty cylinder you may get an explosive mixture.  I'm almost 30 yrs old, make decent $$$ why don't I just buy new one's?  Because they say "Never attempt to refill this cylinder"  Always have to fight the system!!!
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Plenty of people have had their car gas tanks start on fire but they still trust ANY moron to go pump their own gas... I've had gas shoot out at me before too. Pump jerks just say "you should have been watching the pump."

Refill adapter is made of brass which won't spark. Do it outside and you won't have an issue. Check each tank for leaks and store outside, just like anything flammable...

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Tainter.... just as a heads up... I  HAVE had brass spark on me before. Yes, it is LESS likely to spark.... but it still can. Granted... I work with brass fittings ALOT... but still... it CAN happen.

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #67 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:55 AM »
my reason for refilling the "little guys" is I hate tossing the empties and am not sure how well they actually are recycled. Plus, I save a LOT of loot. So I just reuse and reuse and reuse and reuse, until they start rusting too much or the valve starts leaking. I have a revolving stock of about 12 of them that I keep in a box. Full ones have the plastic caps back on them, empties are without caps. After I fill them, I put a cap on it. I have probably filled about 500 of these so far without fail and without issues. That's not to say that something "could" happen, but I stand the same chance of getting hit by a bus, shooting a record book buck, catching a record book fish, ...you get my drift. There are pluses and minuses to everything, you have to get all the facts and experiences and then make a decision on your own. It's interesting that there is more concern on whether to refill these little buggers than there is concern about the open flames that are by these when they are in use - little heaters, grills, etc.... I worry more that one will leak when I have it hooked to my heater than when I am refilling it. I have seen that twice now and it's scary. Just be safe.....

NiagaraJiggin
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Nov 08, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Plenty of people have had their car gas tanks start on fire but they still trust ANY moron to go pump their own gas... I've had gas shoot out at me before too. Pump jerks just say "you should have been watching the pump."

Also as a heads up... I know for a fact that in Oregon, the entire state, it is illegal to pump your own gas, just for that very safety reason. Huge fine if you do it yourself. The gas station attendants have to go through something like a 3 week course to learn how to properly pump it and to get certified.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #69 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Are you kidding!  :o  

99.99% here pump their own. Most stations won't pump for you even if you're a little ole lady!  ;)

Wow! I guess you weren't! See here
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #70 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:39 PM »
I worry more that one will leak when I have it hooked to my heater than when I am refilling it. I have seen that twice now and it's scary.

Maybe that is a good reason not to refill them  ???

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #71 on: Nov 09, 2010, 09:49 PM »
I've never had a cylinder leak while hooked to the heater BUT I have had my highly modified heater catch fire on the ice oops!  NEVER use a hose for a remote cylinder without a filter.  My heater got all plugged up so I got out my drill and made the orifice bigger now it cranks heat but if it is running out of gas it likes to burn back inside the heater.  This year I bought a big buddy which hopefully when used on med setting won't need the hose and filter to keep the 1lbers from freezing up
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #72 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:22 PM »
It helps to keep your buddy heater off the ice and higher in the shack where it stays warmer. Milk crate works great and you can use it to store stuff on the sled. I would like to know how you get the 20lb bottle refilled with out a tip over protection valve installed. Around here they wont turn on the pump for a bottle without it.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:33 PM »
I found a new use for them this year for my Halloween decorations

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Nov 10, 2010, 06:46 AM »
It helps to keep your buddy heater off the ice and higher in the shack where it stays warmer. Milk crate works great and you can use it to store stuff on the sled. I would like to know how you get the 20lb bottle refilled with out a tip over protection valve installed. Around here they wont turn on the pump for a bottle without it.

They won't do it anywhere Gulp... Federal law requiring the "new" overflow valve.

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #75 on: Nov 10, 2010, 12:56 PM »
You know I have been running my little buddy heater for 5yrs now without a filter on the hose form a 5lb bulk tank. Just had it out last week for a check and it fired right up. No waste bottles and a long burn time. I think I will just stick with what I have.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Nov 10, 2010, 05:01 PM »
I do know, Gulp, that there are certain hoses that do not need a filter. I want to say that they are the green hoses?? I'm sure someone else can clarify....

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Nov 11, 2010, 07:52 AM »
They won't do it anywhere Gulp... Federal law requiring the "new" overflow valve.
ya can fill them yourself off a 100 lb tank   
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #78 on: Nov 11, 2010, 12:31 PM »
I do know, Gulp, that there are certain hoses that do not need a filter. I want to say that they are the green hoses?? I'm sure someone else can clarify....
I agree that it is the green hoses. I have not used one, but they say that they get very stiff when it is cold.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Nov 15, 2010, 09:39 AM »
For some real fun, duct tape a flare to a full tank, then shoot it. Seen it in the remake of Dawn of the Dead. A 20 pounder will wipe out a couple hundred zombies.

hahahah

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
Refilling 1lb propane bottles
« Reply #80 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:05 PM »
Is anybody having any luck refilling their 1lb bottles from a 20lb tank? I know Mr Heater makes the coupler to do this, I am just wondering whether it's worth trying or not.

Offline barrelslime

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Refilling 1lb propane bottles
« Reply #81 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Somewhere on here there is a video of how to do it.  My ? is, you are supposed to us a filter if you use the 20lb bottle with your heater.  If you fill the little bottles with a 20lber, can the filter be in the connection, or are you filling the 1lber with contaminates.  The video doesnot show a filter being used.
Biggest Crappie 17 1/2 "

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:23 AM »
I have filled 1501 and have not had a problem ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #83 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I have filled 1501 and have not had a problem ;D
1502 KABOOM!!! ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Of course they tell you not to do this.  First of all it removes all liability from them.  Secondly they don't make money when you refill them.  As to them going kaboom, I think the worst thing that can happen is that the valve fails and it leaks out.  As long as you don't do this near an open flame you are pretty safe.
Cheese Head

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Of course they tell you not to do this.  First of all it removes all liability from them.  Secondly they don't make money when you refill them.  As to them going kaboom, I think the worst thing that can happen is that the valve fails and it leaks out.  As long as you don't do this near an open flame you are pretty safe.

Absolutely correct "the worst thing that can happen is that the valve fails and it leaks out". Make sure your 1lb tank is cold and your 20# tank warm and it will fill very well. Also turn big tank upside down when filling. Been doing this for 20 years. Only had 1 valve fail and leak. I always check for leaks on top of 1lb bottle when done.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:47 PM »
I keep a fiinish nail handy and a can of wd-40 for the rare one that may not seat correctly. A squirt of the wd-40 and use the finish nail head works perfectly. Also if the can has any rust on the threads or needle valve I throw them away.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:53 PM »
i go thru about 40lbs of propane in a season been refilling for about 3yrs now and never had a problem

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
Refilling 1lb. lp tanks
« Reply #88 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:57 AM »
I just found a "Mac Coupler" in my garage that I bought many years ago (still in blister pack). Has anyone used one of these? It says on the pack that It will fill a disposable tank in a minute from a 20lb. tank. Any tips?  ???
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Refilling 1lb. lp tanks
« Reply #89 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:09 AM »
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.