The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Get the boot  (Read 2791 times)

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Get the boot
« on: Dec 28, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Any suggestions on a good winter boot for ice fishing? I like a waterproof boot that's fairly tall but I can't seem to find a rubber boot that is warm enough or that lasts for more than a year.. lacrosse and Muck are both warm and waterproof but don't last for more than two seasons before they start to crack... military "Mickey mouse boots" are heavy, short and uncomfortable... I don't mind spending the money for quality but from what I've experienced they are all junk. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Get the boot
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2017, 04:30 PM »
baffin titan.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2017, 04:33 PM »
baffin titan.

x4

I always had cold feet.  I can't even wear heavy socks any more because the Titan's are so warm.  I  used to constantly asses how long my feet could take it.  I don't even think about them anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Baffin-Canadian-Insulated-Rubber-Forest/dp/B002D48SMS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514500151&sr=8-2&keywords=baffin+titan

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Take a look at Baffin Titans.  Lots of people like them.  Baffin makes a bunch of styles of very warm boots.  I ended up sending mine back because I didn't get the fit right, and I had other boots.

I have the Muck arctic pros but I rarely use them because I prefer the comfort and lightness of my Keene Summit County Winter Boots.  They aren't nearly as warm as real ice fishing boots, but they keep water out, and if it's really cold I use footwarmers.  I still use the Mucks if I know I'll be standing in slush.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Just replaced my Muck Arctic Pro which lasted 3 seasons. I fish about every day so they really get a workout. 3 seasons is much better than the 2 I get with LaCrosse or the 1 season with Cabelas rubber boots. Mucks are very warm and great when you are in the slush which always comes when you get lots of snow on the ice.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Bogs Rancher.  Rated to -40 F.  Waterproof.  Wick well and keep feet dry.  Good traction.

Very good quality and relatively inexpensive for a rubber/neoprene boot. 

Wear them for all outdoor activities, including hunting and ice fishing.

My pair cost less than $100.  On my third year with them. 

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2017, 05:31 PM »
I've been wearing the same pair of Sorels since 1984 and am not looking forward to the day when I might be forced to go out looking for replacements because I haven't seen anything out there that looks good.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Fishingwithmyboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Muck Arctic Pro have worked great for me.  I put a pair of wool socks on and have zero problem with my feet all day on the ice.  I have not had any issues with their durability either.  They are on their third season and look and feel just fine to me. 

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Well looks like he first few gave the answer! Baffin Titans

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:31 PM »
Baffin Titan! Made in Canada, eh? We know about cold weather! ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Used white mickey mouse from naval issue stuff.  They are rated to like 6 billion degrees below zero

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:20 PM »
Titans for sure.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Muck Arctic Pro is what works for me. Feet are never cold and I'm on the 3rd season with them
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:57 PM »
Used to use muck arctic..feet got sweaty, then cold. Picked up Korkers Icejack and love them. Carbide studded soles that grip into ice like velcro. Next boot will be a pair of Korkers with a BOA system like my wading boots.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2017, 05:18 AM »
Cabelas Trans Alaska boots,waterproof.15" high,.the soles are thick enough to put traction screws in,on sale now $139.99,I have 2 pairs,one for hunting and one for ice fishing(with screws installed) had first pair for twenty years,still work,still don't leak,still keep ,my feet warm as toast

Offline poupster2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:05 AM »
I've had the Baffin Wolf for 4 years and only got cold at -25 F.  I just switched for the Baffin Selkirk.  I'll let you know how they are.  They feel amazing!!!

Offline Bigunit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2017, 01:22 PM »
Cabela's Trans Alaska

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!..... got some shopping to do ..now that my credit card has cooled off from the Christmas season.... this cold weather has me pumped for a good old fashioned hard water season!!! Baffin... sounds to me like I can't go wrong.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2017, 03:48 PM »
 ??? ???  Whatever you get!!~  Make sure they dealer has ice spikes that are large enough to fit easily over your new boots??  If you buy size 12 - 13 boots you will have a heck of a time finding creepers or spikes to fit over them??
Dick

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Used to use muck arctic..feet got sweaty, then cold. Picked up Korkers Icejack and love them. Carbide studded soles that grip into ice like velcro. Next boot will be a pair of Korkers with a BOA system like my wading boots.

Those look pretty good!  How's the weight?

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Those look pretty good!  How's the weight?

Super light. Feel like hiking boots but are pretty warm. They have ones with much more insulation as well. One of the best companies to deal with about warranties too.  Soles arent the easiest to take off in the cold so I just leave the carbide ones in.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:12 AM »
just bought these for my GF

baffin titans for under 50 bucks shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191853155222

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Thanks bootstrap.... what a deal!! Placing my order now... almost too good to be true... I hope they're not a "knock off" or a pirated look-a-like. You know, like the ray band sunglasses at the fair for $13.95.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:24 AM »
only in size 7

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:33 PM »
Agreeing with several others here...go with the Baffins. I've had two different models of theirs, and both were fantastic.

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:17 PM »
I have issues keeping my feet warm. Several years ago I bought a pair of cabelas trans alaska 3 pac boots. I was out all day in these and my feet were warm. They cost a few bucks, but in temps like these they are worth it.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Thanks bootstrap.... what a deal!! Placing my order now... almost too good to be true... I hope they're not a "knock off" or a pirated look-a-like. You know, like the ray band sunglasses at the fair for $13.95.

Hey, I bought a solid gold-look plated Rolecks watch from a guy at the fair for only $9.95. It's totally the real deal.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Super light. Feel like hiking boots but are pretty warm. They have ones with much more insulation as well. One of the best companies to deal with about warranties too.  Soles arent the easiest to take off in the cold so I just leave the carbide ones in.
matt where can i buy them and look at the different models. my lacrosse crack in one year

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2018, 04:53 PM »
matt where can i buy them and look at the different models. my lacrosse crack in one year

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/winter.html

I have the Snowjack and am very happy. I noticed I'm missing a few studs in my soles this year, which is great IMO. I've never had any other slip on brand last over a year, including stabilizers that cost $60. The BOA system is awesome, I have them on my wading boots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.