The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: fish recipes  (Read 1295 times)

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
fish recipes
« on: Dec 27, 2011, 05:29 PM »
how are you guys cooking your fish ?
favorite methods ?

Offline ssinvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fish recipes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2011, 05:38 PM »
how are you guys cooking your fish ?
favorite methods ?
Ingredients.

Fish, 2 eggs, flour, milk, or half and half, Spicy Sweet Chilli Doritos and your favorite whiskey. 

You can use other then these doritos, but they are the very best I have had, and I have tried a bunch.  I also like spicy nacho doritos. 

First, cut fish into the portion size you like.  I like to do half inch by about one inch strips that are about 4-5 inches long.  This is approximate.  You get the idea.  Soak in milk or half and half for 20 minutes to a half hour.  I put a plate on top so it all gets submerged. 

Pour glass of whiskey, and drink immediately.  DO NOT SET ASIDE.  You can also use beer, or wine.

Beat 2 eggs, and set aside. 

In a large zip lock bag, crush doritos.  I like to use a rolling pin.  Set a side. 

Put flour in bowl, set a side.

Put some of the doritos in a bowl, but not all.  I add more to the bowl as it starts to get clumpy from the egg. 

Pour second glass of whiskey, and drink slower this time.  You can still also use beer, or wine.

Heat oil on medium high heat.  Be generous with the oil.  I use olive oil. 

Role fish in flour, gently dip in egg, role in dorito crumbs, put in HOT oil.  Make sure it is hot enough so it makes the fish crispy, or the breading will not hold on.  I found that out the hard way.  Several times. 

The fish cooks really fast.  No more then a minute and a half.  I turn a couple times. 

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2011, 06:00 PM »
that sounds good !
gonn have to try that !
minus the whiskey maybe  ;D

have you ever tried it with regular nacho or cool ranch doritos ?
i bet the cool ranch could be tasty !
thanks !

Offline natep24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:31 PM »
for perch :
ingredients: 2 eggs, 1 package of Ritz crackers, vegeatable oil

in a pot or deep fryer heat the veggie oil
in a ziplock bag crush the Ritz crackers
in a bowl crack the eggs and wisk them together
dip the perch fillets in the egg and then place them in the bag with the crackers
now deep fry them
you know when they are done when they float

bon appétit
Nate P
Firefighter/EMT

Offline vthonkerhtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:26 PM »
minus the booze ?  nothing like a great day of ice fishing and washing those golden brown fish chunks down with some american beer.  and i use bread crumbs

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:41 PM »
2 large Walleye fillets or any other good white fish (I've done ocean/FW perch, gills, sm mth bass, and haddock this way)

Tin foil a cooky sheet (makes clean up a breeze)
Spray the foil lightly with non-stick cooking spray

Spread real mayo and put enough to cover fillet (not a lot, not on skin side)
Pour Panko crumbs on to large plate and drop the fillets mayo side down in the bread crumbs. Press down a little. This will give them a nice one sided coating.
Sprinkle fresh Parmesan cheese over the fillets.

The trick is not to get bread crumbs or cheese on the tin foil, less waste, smoke, and burnt taste

Lay them skin side down (bread crumbs side up) uncovered on 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes (until flaky). 
I like to "zap it" under the broiler for 90 seconds (while watching).  This gives a nice crunchy coating, but be careful not to burn!!!

Yummy!!!!

Offline ssinvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:45 AM »
that sounds good !
gonn have to try that !
minus the whiskey maybe  ;D

have you ever tried it with regular nacho or cool ranch doritos ?
i bet the cool ranch could be tasty !
thanks !

Yes I have tried all kinds of things.  I just found out that honey bbq twisted frito things are great also.  The spicier the chip the better.

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:54 AM »
When we had a shanty out on Elmore my friend used to take all the small perch we caught( like it holds anything but little guys), skin them out while on the ice, boil them in water until they started to curl up, dunk them in cocktail sauce, and he called it poor mans shrimp.  Nice quick and easy to do while fishing.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.