New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1030275 times)

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #5430 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:29 AM »
I never remember any shad being in oneida lake until the late 70’s. But there were a lot more buckeyes.   We caught a lot of eyes from when I started fishing Oneida in 1944\1945 until the shad appeared.  Size was 12 inches and 25/day limit.  Those days are not remembered by many. I have seen the Sylvan Beach pier lined with fishermen in the spring when the west wind blew, all with stringers full.  I think the shad have helped the perch population as the eyes go more to the shad but the eye population was very, very good when there were no shad. 

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #5431 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:41 AM »
I never remember any shad being in oneida lake until the late 70’s. But there were a lot more buckeyes.   We caught a lot of eyes from when I started fishing Oneida in 1944\1945 until the shad appeared.  Size was 12 inches and 25/day limit.  Those days are not remembered by many. I have seen the Sylvan Beach pier lined with fishermen in the spring when the west wind blew, all with stringers full.  I think the shad have helped the perch population as the eyes go more to the shad but the eye population was very, very good when there were no shad.
Throw that 12” and 25 a day is insane for a limit.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5432 on: Jan 17, 2021, 09:14 AM »
looks like ice is holding on made it through the wind last night,,,,, hope it dosent get a bunch of snow colder temps in the forecast

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5433 on: Jan 17, 2021, 09:22 AM »
if you are having trouble catching crappie over 8" your doing some thing wrong, I've lived in Fulton for almost 50 years and I fish the lake every year and I get alot of 12 to 14 inch fish and some that are larger

timmy  you live on phillips street?

i lived there my hole live  i  know  right where the deep hole is  and i can say if i see a couple other people is fishing on that lake a  year  i'm surprized   before the limits i  have  counted  60 lanterns on the ice in one night from my bedroom window ....those days are long gone ..... you hardly get a  crappie  fisherman in the creek in the spring

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5434 on: Jan 17, 2021, 09:26 AM »
oldtimer that is  awesome  my  dad  told me stories  about the  old times  ,very similar to what you just said

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5435 on: Jan 17, 2021, 09:45 AM »
Lots of memories of OL.  Night fishing was big when the limits were big. I don’t remember many lights at night when ice fishing. Some guys would do a 10:00 check of their 25 tipups for hangers.  Could leave them in nights then. I do remember counting 50 or more boats with lanterns, fishing between 109 and 113.  That would be weekdays, weekends upwards to 100. We anchored and fished straight down. Remember well the smell of bugs burning on the coleman lanterns.  It was a big deal when they went from one to 2 mantle lanterns.  They burned “white”gas. Also know as marine gas. It was unleaded.  I’m blessed knowing I went through the best times of lady Oneida. 

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5436 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:18 AM »
Great stuff, Old timer! Not too many of the original diehards left to tell those stories! Thank You for sharing!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Timmydann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5437 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:24 AM »
timmy  you live on phillips street?

i lived there my hole live  i  know  right where the deep hole is  and i can say if i see a couple other people is fishing on that lake a  year  i'm surprized   before the limits i  have  counted  60 lanterns on the ice in one night from my bedroom window ....those days are long gone ..... you hardly get a  crappie  fisherman in the creek in the spring
i lived on west fourth until I was 12, remember the " salem house", i live on west first now

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5438 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:30 AM »
big area just opened up off of dutchmans running towards chapman

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5439 on: Jan 17, 2021, 11:08 AM »
i lived on west fourth until I was 12, remember the " salem house", i live on west first now

i lived on west forth for many years near tony gigalette and john dover use to rent boats  from  dings boat house  fish all day  for 2 bucks lol...lot of nice northers back then too

old timer we  night fished fulton and big bay  for the strawberrys  our  camp wasn bernards bay on the north shore ....the owner of the  camp grounds passed away ice fishing right out there in his shanty....

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5440 on: Jan 17, 2021, 12:40 PM »
Great memories and stories guys. I’ve been blessed to have grown up on the shores of Oneida Lake. Such a great place with awesome fishing history.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5441 on: Jan 17, 2021, 01:54 PM »
Great memories and stories guys. I’ve been blessed to have grown up on the shores of Oneida Lake. Such a great place with awesome fishing history.

Didn't live there full time but spent all my summers from the early 90s on the lake grandparents have always had a place seasonal camp on drive 10 then a house on lestina beach road and now a house on route 49
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5442 on: Jan 17, 2021, 02:21 PM »
big area just opened up off of dutchmans running towards chapman
Well if the wind keeps up , we know how that goes

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5443 on: Jan 17, 2021, 02:31 PM »
i think it would be  great to meet the old time  over a coffee or a beer .... the world has  changed  so much but  good people  and  good fishing stories are as  good today as  ever

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5444 on: Jan 17, 2021, 02:43 PM »
 That’s true we can make new ones up when we run out of old ones , who would ever know 🤪

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5445 on: Jan 17, 2021, 02:49 PM »
We’re fishermen..   
    We don’t tell fake stories.......  ::) ::)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5446 on: Jan 17, 2021, 02:59 PM »
I could write  so many posts about the “good old days”  they would block me.  Back then you really had to love ice fishing as it was hard Work. Actually, other than getting into perch, we were more of fish gathers than fishermen.  Just tale them off after They had swallowed the minnow and hook.  I remember the big debate was whether to hook the minnow through the lips or in back of the dorsal fin..  Now is is what lure and what color. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5447 on: Jan 17, 2021, 03:06 PM »
i remeber the  lips or the  back  and  a  ice  shack  was  plywood no  pull alongs  ...spoon augers or a old  eskimo  ....or the  spud and  we spudded a lot of  holes  back then .....dacron  line and   red and  white  bobbers  lol 

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5448 on: Jan 17, 2021, 03:33 PM »
i remeber the  lips or the  back  and  a  ice  shack  was  plywood no  pull alongs  ...spoon augers or a old  eskimo  ....or the  spud and  we spudded a lot of  holes  back then .....dacron  line and   red and  white  bobbers  lol
Great shacks. Never blew away. Wonder we didn’t kill ourselves with the wick style kerosene heaters.  None of them were ever locked until snowmobiles came along.  My shack always had a bottle of Jaquin’s Ginger Brandy in it.  Sometimes I’d get there and there would be just a half bottle left but the next day threre was a full one to take its place. 

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5449 on: Jan 17, 2021, 04:34 PM »
Lots of memories of OL.  Night fishing was big when the limits were big. I don’t remember many lights at night when ice fishing. Some guys would do a 10:00 check of their 25 tipups for hangers.  Could leave them in nights then. I do remember counting 50 or more boats with lanterns, fishing between 109 and 113.  That would be weekdays, weekends upwards to 100. We anchored and fished straight down. Remember well the smell of bugs burning on the coleman lanterns.  It was a big deal when they went from one to 2 mantle lanterns.  They burned “white”gas. Also know as marine gas. It was unleaded.  I’m blessed knowing I went through the best times of lady Oneida.
I fished at night like that with my grandfather out of App's in the 70's, 2 lanterns on shepards hook, full of cooked bugs. Just drop A jig with A worm on it, and catch fish like hell. Limit was 10 per person then I think, and they only had to be 12". We knocked the hell out of them, really would be good to find that groove and do it again. Night fishing walleyes was the deal. Back then the barges in Cleveland were covered in fat sunfish too, we really got into those, my grandfather loved them.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5450 on: Jan 17, 2021, 04:43 PM »
big sunfish scale them and cut their heads off  lol  i remember we took abig square wash tub in the back of the beat up station wagen ....when the tub was full we  were done then  fish  for the week ;D

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5451 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:00 PM »
Ginger Brandy. My dad always had a flask of ginger brandy in the shanty to “warm you up”.  ;D

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5452 on: Jan 18, 2021, 05:36 AM »
My brides father and grandfather always had brandy in the boat. He said it was his cure for coughing..... he sure used to cough a lot!!!😁 I found myself coughing from time to time as well!!😂
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #5453 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:31 AM »
My father and grandfather always had a pint of ginger brandy (each) stashed in their wool bibs!! I still carry on the tradition from time to time but prefer a good rusty nail (scotch and drambuie) now. I still have those (woolrich??) bibs and like to put em on when I can take the wheeler out... man do they get heavy when the water freezes to the legs! I would argue that they are the warmest bibs I own and I have both striker and Ice armor bibs.... or maybe it's just the memories that keep me warm?? The rusty nail helps too of course! Ha
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5454 on: Jan 18, 2021, 10:14 AM »
not as much open open water east of dutchmans , west of dutchmans looks open, today guessing floating stuff packed in looks like weds should drop into teens then cold temps starting saturday

Offline Db

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 607 373 0942
« Reply #5455 on: Jan 18, 2021, 01:51 PM »
Thanks for the updates onieda 1

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #5456 on: Jan 18, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Just west of Lakeport it looks like it is still locked up but has that dark look to it that says "won't last long".
If the wind and snow can hold off so it can make it to Weds night we might have a chance of fishing here weekend after next.
The tug is the drug.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5457 on: Jan 18, 2021, 03:08 PM »
took a ride down lakeshore Rd today most everything iced over in area of williams beach, just took a very short walk  infront same  1 to 2 inches there has been with an inch of slush on top surprised me ice was still fairly hard,,,, if it holds should making ice starting weds,,,,,,

Offline eatme

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5458 on: Jan 18, 2021, 04:54 PM »
Supp with beach cam

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5459 on: Jan 18, 2021, 05:10 PM »

Well a Little it’s rumored that , 3 guys have tried pushing the limit , and took a bath , all ok

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.