Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 451089 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Inventions
« Reply #120 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:47 AM »
Oxquo,
Could you post a closeup of the trigger mechanism? I like  your idea. I've been wanting to play with a couple traps like this. Just having trouble visualizing a trigger.

Thanks,
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #121 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:43 AM »
Oxquo....same here, would love some detail on your trigger mech
thanks
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:39 AM »
This isn't really an invention, but its a really good way to get more out of a regular fishing rod that gets broken during the summer.

I took a piece of 1 inch dowel that was about a foot long and drilled a hole in one end that was just a bit bigger than the piece of rod. Then I used some two part epoxy to glue the rod into the dowel. Next i drove two finish nails into the dowel to make a tripod to hold the rod out of the snow. Finally, I screwed an ice fishing reel to the top of the dowel and added a spring bobber. I haven't gotten to try it yet but I am hoping it works well

(Image removed from quote.)

I think this is a great conversion!  I don't use my scooley's anymore but I might if they were rigged like that. Thanks for the tip, that would work great when fishing in shallow water!

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:23 PM »
Oxquo.... I would also like some more close-ups.... especially, like everyone else, pics of the trigger mechanism. If you could either post them here, or e-mail them to me at [email protected]

Thanks!!
Dave

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #124 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:41 AM »

Did you make this with 1/2 in. conduit or 3/4 in. conduit?  And is it pretty sturdy with a fully loaded shack?  I really like this idea if it would work with a fully loaded shack. I would guess that I would probably have about 60 lbs of additional weight.   I have the same shack as you do.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:17 AM »
1 1/4 " x 6" PVC. 30degree slice
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #126 on: Dec 16, 2008, 01:53 PM »
i made a gas auger out of a old 2 stroke tiller and am currently working on a generator from a leaf blower. will post some pics.

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:39 AM »
Oxquo.... I would also like some more close-ups.... especially, like everyone else, pics of the trigger mechanism. If you could either post them here, or e-mail them to me at [email protected]

Thanks!!
Dave
this is the arm for my ultra light, the arms for the mediums are a lot longer and since I painted all My rigs black, I just taped this one together for a more visible picture. Epoxy works great though. The end is a coated coat hanger the trigger is metal which I wax. I angle drill the arm and the trigger is V shaped, hope it helps sorry for the delay.

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Here is the newest, It is a wind jigger and I have vanes for it that slide over the arms for more jigging. Out here though the plastic on the arms make it jig way too hard. the vanes are 3x3 corrugated plastic, they slip on and I insert round toothpicks to hold them on. For walleye, I set these up backwards, rod tip facing the wind and set the hook 3-4" from the bottom. When the wind hits the front it causes the rapala to smash the sand below like a minnow trying to shake gill flukes, looks awesome and creates a great cloud below to be investigated.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #129 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:00 AM »
thanks Oxquo......however.... ...I'm still not gettin it, I shall continue being a pain in the ass ;)

you wouldn't happen to have a pic of it rigged ready to go where you can see how it is all set up??
no worries if too much trouble
Thanks, I sure would love to build one but all my previous attempts have failed and your design looks good
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:29 AM »
OK I think I get it now. The wire/nail you have out the side tied on with floss is the actual holder for the rod end??(rod just sits behind it under tension????) The hole thru the side of the dowel is attached to the upright?
   What about the loop of wire you have on the end of the dowel?
Thanks
--Stephen Wright

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #131 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:32 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.) 1 1/4 " x 6" PVC. 30degree slice

Moonbeam, great idea! I saw your post last year and just made mine out of thin walled pvc.  I modified mine by cutting a portion of the top of the pvc off...shaping it as a tray or cradle to lay the handle of the rod in.  Makes it easier to get the rod in and out.  Nice light weight rod holders!!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #132 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:45 AM »
moonbeam, great idea! I'm making mine today, thanks.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Moonbeam, great idea! I saw your post last year and just made mine out of thin walled pvc.  I modified mine by cutting a portion of the top of the pvc off...shaping it as a tray or cradle to lay the handle of the rod in.  Makes it easier to get the rod in and out.  Nice light weight rod holders!!Good idea. Think I'll modify too!
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:55 AM »
thanks Oxquo......however.... ...I'm still not gettin it, I shall continue being a pain in the ass ;)

you wouldn't happen to have a pic of it rigged ready to go where you can see how it is all set up??
no worries if too much trouble
Thanks, I sure would love to build one but all my previous attempts have failed and your design looks good
Right away for you, hopefully the black allows You to see. I'll do the medium rod it may show better.

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:06 AM »
hope this helps, on the mediums I don't use the cross piece at the end since they are pike only, also I pull out about 3' of line from between the first and second eyes which I'll lightly hook around a snow clump so they can run before setting the hook on themselves tried a bobber but it annoyed Me while reeling in a fish. and side view waxing or even salmon liver oil usually keeps everything loose even the line in the hole. the wire that goes through the eye should be bendable so You can set up for a more sensitive bite. Personally, I found ultra lights the best and with pike I just hand bomb them up also the longer a rod, the more it seems to hold tight to the fish. As for a flag? You can hear these pop from a good distance. What I do like about them is that My son who is two just runs over, grabs the rod and starts to walk with it. He will learn to set the hook but it's hard teaching someone who cant speak yet.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #136 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:16 AM »
ok, i guess i'll post 'pooleys lip ripper'.

it was made for a 30" rod. the rod gets pulled down, and the line moves the trip wire out of the way. the mini bungee plays the fish while you run to the rod.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #137 on: Dec 19, 2008, 12:44 PM »
thanks Oxquo, really do appeciate your efforts. We're being snowed in as I type, I may have some time on my hands to toss one togeher
Thanks again
--Stephen Wright

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:59 PM »
   No problem, I'm sure it can be built better. I would say on average I end up fishing about 1 out of every 3 contraptions I make. I built a summer version of the same rig for when I fish floating rigs for walleye. I just used 1/4" threaded rod and bolt the main part to the rod lifting the whole thing as high as I need, I use a wire rod holder behind it to hold the rod. It works well but if You add too much weight, the hook set is lessened. I am interviewing a Game warden for a monthly newsletter, He's a neighbor as well. As for His thoughts on My rigs, it just makes him laugh that I'd waste so much time hahaha. One thing He did point out though is that the spring loaded reel I ordered for another rig would be considered illegal in his opinion. It's called a Yo-yo reel. Though it is not a spring loaded hook, He says that because it doesn't allow the fish a readily escape it would likely not be tolerated. As for the Slammer and Automatic fisherman, He said that because the contraption is neither spring loaded nor a device that prevents a fishes escape it would not be banned. He also gave me some great bait advice. In Saskatchewan anyways, using even small game fish for bait even if You caught them is illegal. He did tell me that parts of fish were okay but they count against your limit, when I asked if I could use pike backs for bait, He said that's fine unless You have more than Your limit of them.. We had a great question and answer period and it won't be the last. I never even thought of it but pickled pike is also considered fish in possession, I smiled as he looked at My jars. Fortunately I have eaten My way down to two jars before He saw them. It would have been embarassing to invite a warden over and have Him bust You over tea. He suggested I use suckers next year, since there is no limit. Oh and suckers here are illegal to harvest for bait, but sucker bellies or eyes are fine and they have no limit.

Anyways his suggestion, If You think it's illegal ask a warden.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #139 on: Jan 06, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Pooley...There's no duct tape...how's that thang gonna wurk ???

I've been playing with this concept....almost there....I'll post when I get it down.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #140 on: Jan 06, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Pooley...There's no duct tape...how's that thang gonna wurk ???

I've been playing with this concept....almost there....I'll post when I get it down.

RG
if you look close, the 4th picture, there is gaff tape on the rod holder, but i don't remember why. :P
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Jan 10, 2009, 08:54 PM »
How about a metal sleeve you keep down your fishing hole in your permanent shack. It has heating elements in it, just plug it into your vexilar for about 1 minute. Before you know it, the ice has melted enough to push the block down and out of the way. I have the problem of a stinky auger giving me a headache.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:59 PM »
I too have troubles with fumes from a gas auger..so..i got brave and built my own 12v auger. I converted a 12v subaru car starter. Hooks up to truck batt. ..works awesome!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #143 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:16 PM »
i know there are more inventions out there! let's see them!

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Ok here is mine.

Offline BigWilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:06 PM »
This Is A Good way to have your inventions seen ..and stolen...and im not talking about Iceshanty guys...anyone on the net can copy this and get it patented ,if you know what i mean...not to be a party pooper...i really do think these inventions are that good.

Just to be clear on the patent issue and speaking from experience with the patent office (US and Canada) technically its about public disclosure.  If an idea is beeing talked about in a public forum prior to applying for the patent then it can't be patented as the idea has already been disclosed to the public.  So, even if the individual that came up with the idea posted about it before they they applied for the patent and the patent office found out about it they likely would refuse the patent.

Doug

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:56 PM »
upstate bass, i love the design. how difficult was it to find the angle on the trigger? also, what length rod did you use.
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Mar 22, 2009, 09:25 AM »
I got lucky and got the trigger right the first time. It seems like just above or a little ahead of the pivot works good. I use the wire from an old spinnerbait for the trigger. That is a 30'' HT rod, work very well. 

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #148 on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:58 PM »
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Oct 21, 2009, 08:36 PM »
This isn't really an invention but one thing I did was paint the handle on my skimmer every other 1" so I can use it as a ruler.  (One inch of black, then one inch of green, etc.)  Inch wide masking tape makes it real easy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.