New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Raquette Lake  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
Raquette Lake
« on: Mar 12, 2019, 01:57 AM »
Had a blast on Raquette Sat. 21"+ inches off ice, fishing off of bleecher island with no wind and a sunny 30 degree day. I was able to bring up a few of my friends as well as my girl (caught her first fish ever on a tip up!) and everyone caught fish  ;D. 8 lakers total throughout the day with 4 coming via jig and 4 via tips. Started off slow after some unexpected machine problems got us out later than expected so i set up in about 20' of water to target perch while we set up our small army of tip ups. Caught the first laker of the day on a little tungstung jig tipped with some plastic grub imitation, with #4 and a UL setup. Stuck with it the rest of the day and it made those smaller fish a lot of fun to fight. Only one or two fish chased all day, everything we caught was on the deadstick after a bounce or two off the bottom. Caught one fish deep (60') but didnt mark many. Completely opposite of when i fished it early feb so im glad we stumbled upon a pattern  @)

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Raquette Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2019, 02:36 AM »
Good day Zach.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:43 AM »

Great day 👍🏻

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:04 AM »
nice   day man

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:23 AM »
Good post! The kids afraid to get slimy? lol
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Looks like a great day. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Good healthy lakers.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Good post! The kids afraid to get slimy? lol

I think my hands still smell like smelt oil so definitely not!  :roflmao: Was just easier to use the grips for pictures, since the fish were real feisty and i didn't want to manhandle them.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Good catch

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:43 AM »
Nice work Zach! Love RL, was my first intro to laker fishing through the ice as well as a great spring ice destination for brookies! Plus, an abundance of smelt for bait and the awesome Adk scenery!
Congrats on a great day! 😃

Offline bigdub22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:10 AM »
Where would one find access for Raquette lake? Just the south end launch or is there access on the north end as well? 

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:57 AM »
Where would one find access for Raquette lake? Just the south end launch or is there access on the north end as well?

I only know of two accesses personally. One is the south end launch and the other is on north shore rd. There is a snowmobile trail that you'll follow from the road to the lake. It is a bout a 7-10 minute walk (a half mile or so?) from the road to the lake. I always park just past the trail on the right side of the road to avoid getting in the way of the sleds.

Offline bigdub22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Appreciate the reply. It looked as though i could access the north side but sometimes the gazeteer will show roads when they are only foot trails. Sounds like we will be able to get exactly where we want to go.

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:12 AM »
I believe you may be referring to North Point Road on the North End which anywhere in that area of the channel up there requires caution as it is always fairly thin and goes quickly. If you were on foot should be okay but with a machine I wouldn't chance it unless you spud it first

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Yup pulled this out a couple years ago in that spot... Left 2 more on the bottom..

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bigdub22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Made it up and out just fine. Lots of action. Fun overnight camping trip. Wind could have held off another day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.