Author Topic: ITS TIME  (Read 15441 times)

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ITS TIME
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:31 PM »
Ice at glen change pretty fast, last year i fell through, 4 day before i fell in ice 10 inch, 4 day later 1 1/2 inch of ice hard to believe,,i was there last sunday ice is rotten,some spot it use a spud bar 1 punch water coming up and some spot you actually see water bobble up on to ice, Monday wind gust up to 45 miles so becareful,,

Offline postman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:33 AM »
Weve been at glen last few days. Its deterioatating rather quickly. I was on ice 4-5" but holes are becoming more prevalent and it requires navigating. Side note....will craft was on the ice and broke through yesterday on west side of  the causeway area....

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Saw people ice fishing at sebetha when we came back from nebraska yesterday.  Every time I go past I say I want to go there.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Saw people ice fishing at sebetha when we came back from nebraska yesterday.  Every time I go past I say I want to go there.

Pony Creek?

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:05 PM »
Not for sure.  Along 75 hwy on the east side of the road.  Pretty good sized and had some standing timber.  Just north of sebetha if I remember right.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Yep, that’s Pony Creek. Nice little lake.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:31 PM »
My heart wanted to pull in and try it but we were in Nebraska for 3 days fighting the wind and cold and ready to get home.  Thinking of going back up and trying burchard lake this weekend and may look at pony creek while up that way.

Offline postman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:08 PM »
Im actually heading there Friday for the 1st time.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:38 AM »
Awesome postman.  Planning on being up there myself in that area.  Considering staying in sebetha so I can fish there and burchard lake in Nebraska.

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Anyone been out to glen elder lately? According to the fishing report there’s 7” of ice in places. Looking at the forecast it’s not going away anytime soon

Offline postman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Im sure Glen has ice. May be slow but better than work.

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:35 AM »
I was at Glen last weekend, 4" of ice.  Fishing was SLOWWWWWWW; 3 crappies and 1 white bass in 2 days.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2019, 04:46 PM »
I was there tuesday and Saturday. The ice is NOT SAFE. Boller point has 4", with 2" of slush on top. Giant patches where thickess drops to 1.5". Took a spud bar out was the only guy there sat morning and decided not to risk it. I tore them up Tuesday though on 6-7" of ice.

Offline postman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:23 AM »
Hey Goose. Curious if boller ramp still had high current when you went.

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Looking at the forecast up that way it's not supposed to get above freezing for the next week. May have to do a March ice fishing trip just to say I did.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:24 AM »
Looking at the forecast up that way it's not supposed to get above freezing for the next week. May have to do a March ice fishing trip just to say I did.

I heard that.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Hey Goose. Curious if boller ramp still had high current when you went.

there always is some current over there but i would not call it high current by any means. its enough to move a light jig but not a spoon.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Wilson has 8" of solid ice today at horseshoe.

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:24 PM »
Took a peek at the weather forecast for the next ten days and I see ice fishing through half the month of March.  When you said you tore it up ksgoose, what kind, crappies or whites?

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2019, 05:18 AM »
anyone been on the ice at Kirwin?

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Mar 01, 2019, 09:11 AM »
We went to Kirwin 2 weekends ago.  The ice was 5" where we were.  Slow morning on for us.  We saw 2 other groups.  I imagine the ice only got thicker since then.  This weather is insane.  There's probably going to be ice into mid March.  I was ready for ice in January.  Now, my mind is on open water...  You folks enjoy that ice.  I wonder if the walleyes are going to spawn under the ice this year? 

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Fisher, I've been wondering the same thing with the Walleye spawn coming soon, or should be.  LOL

Anyone heard or seen any new ice thickness reports from Glen? 

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 02, 2019, 06:02 AM »
I heard there's about 8" on glen but it's really rough ice.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:59 AM »
The Walleye spawn is temperature dependent; not month dependent; so when the ice is finally gone and the lakes start to warm above 42 degrees; the walleye will begin their annual spawn; may be April sometime this year. Have a feeling our temps will warm quickly once this ice is gone but never know in Kansas. Research shows that once ice is gone from a lake the water temps shoot up to 40 degrees rather quickly; then air temps and sunlight are important to get it to climb from there. There have been late winters like this in the past where I've caught lots of Walleyes walk trolling on Glen Easter weekend.  If you guys were kidding just ignore my post; just throwing my .02 cents in to what I've experienced myself in the past.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 02, 2019, 12:09 PM »
The Walleye spawn is temperature dependent; not month dependent; so when the ice is finally gone and the lakes start to warm above 42 degrees; the walleye will begin their annual spawn; may be April sometime this year. Have a feeling our temps will warm quickly once this ice is gone but never know in Kansas. Research shows that once ice is gone from a lake the water temps shoot up to 40 degrees rather quickly; then air temps and sunlight are important to get it to climb from there. There have been late winters like this in the past where I've caught lots of Walleyes walk trolling on Glen Easter weekend.  If you guys were kidding just ignore my post; just throwing my .02 cents in to what I've experienced myself in the past.

Yep. Years ago it was often to not have ice out until March

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 02, 2019, 01:16 PM »
It was a serious question (not "kidding").  Do I believe there is 100% chance it will happen?  No.  Hence the question.  Some people believe photoperiod trumps water temperatures:
https://www.nefga.org/forum/fishing-and-hunting/nebraska-fishing-forum/1161603-walleye-spawn
http://www.lakestatefishing.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=513696

Based on what I have experienced and read, I believe the walleye spawn is predicated upon water temperatures and photoperiod.  A particular biologist in Nebraska believes that the spawn there begins on April 1st, with a little variation depending on the body of water:

"Walleye spawn in Nebraska? April 1.

Sure it varies a little from year-to-year, waterbody to waterbody, but April 1 is the target date. We do not start collecting walleye eggs until April 1, pretty much every year.

Oh yes, the males come early and stay late. You bet there are walleyes on or near their spawning habitats right now, they start moving there in late winter under the ice."

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Mar 02, 2019, 01:49 PM »
I will stick with my theory on water temperature playing the major role and year in and year out what I've seen for the past 40 years is that the walleye are already in proximity to their spawning grounds by late fall to early winter; I, my son, and several friends catch numerous large females each year when the water temps reach 39-40 degrees in the same locations as we are catching many males weeks later when the temps rise into the mid 40's; all of the females we have caught during this time still have "green" or developing eggs (pale yellow) and they are feeding heavy to nourish these eggs before the spawn in the weeks to come. The majority of the spawning activity I have witnessed through the years when you actually can see fish "rolling" along our area dams; or males courting females around the spawning areas; the water temps have averaged between 44 and 50 degrees; not to say that there is not some minor spawning activity taking place before and after these temps stated are present. This is also why you  can follow the walleye spawn from their southern reaches to their northern most areas they inhabit and based on water temperature you could fish the spawn from the southern United States all the way into Canada if you chose to do so. I've also caught numerous males in late winter both through the ice and in open water; none have ever been "milting" freely at this time; however; when the spawn is in full swing; you can catch a male walleye and his milt with be flowing freely from him or just barely takes a small pressured squeeze for them to squirt this milt all over the ground or rocks; if you have fished the spawn you have witnessed this yourselves many times. When I'm fishing area lakes in Kansas during the prespawn, spawn, and post spawn; I'm a temperature hawk; I pay very little attention to photoperiodism as with deer hunting; I also have my own personal favorite wind directions and moon phases that I feel I catch more fish during and have tracked this through the years also.

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Mar 02, 2019, 02:22 PM »
I've also caught numerous males in late winter both through the ice and in open water; none have ever been "milting" freely at this time; however;

You are indeed a temperature "hawk."  ;D  I am temperature and photoperiod agnostic.  ;)  Just for the sake of the discussion, your own words above would suggest that photoperiod plays a major role.  They aren't spawning in late winter because the photoperiod isn't right, ice or no ice.  It doesn't take many warm days to get the water temperature into the mid 40s once the ice melts. 

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Mar 02, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Photoperiodism relates to the length of days and nights; either increasing or decreasing; depending on the time of year; not whether it is a dark or full moon phase; when we spring ahead in the springtime and gain an hour; that to me has little affect on the fishing; other than the fact that it now subtracts an hour of my night fishing time from me. I'm going to use this year as an example with our current weather and ice conditions; not sure of the date this year that we put our clocks ahead; but guessing if our water temps say at Glen Elder are still at or below 40; we together could go fish at this time and  photoperiodism will do little to bring these walleyes to the banks to spawn; however; if we wait til the water temps reach 44-50 we will see increased activity along the banks; catch rates of male walleyes will increase; while catch rates of the now spawning females will decrease as they are now focused on spawning as opposed to eating like they were when the temps were in the high 30's to low 40's. So really; the upside to photoperiodism is that I won't have to turn my headlamp on as quick; therefore saving battery life vs. the downside of losing an hour of night fishing.

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Mar 02, 2019, 03:01 PM »
I am not sure why you felt the need to define photoperiodism and why you are talking about catching fish now???  The discussion was about walleye spawning.  And we are on the same page regarding the definition of photoperiod:  https://www.dictionary.com/browse/photoperiod
Or photoperiodism. 

Suppose this scenario:  water temperatures reach 45 in mid February.  Are the walleyes going to spawn?  According to your argument that tempertaures overrides photoperiod, they should.  But you have stated yourself earlier that they don't. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.