Author Topic: Rod cases/ storage on atv/sled  (Read 7276 times)

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
Rod cases/ storage on atv/sled
« on: Mar 01, 2020, 07:59 PM »
Hows everyone carrying their rods on their sleds/atvs?
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Rod cases/ storage on atv/sled
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2020, 10:18 PM »
Eagle Claw hard rod case.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2020, 05:15 AM »
Do you have it mounted? Or do you just toss it in your sled? Iv got one of the eagle claws now, i just am trying to get away from having my flip over when i dont need it. Thinking of mounting one of the cases on my rack. My can am is the xmr so i loose my front rack space. Plus thats where my auger is now. Iv got one of the atv bags on the back but im thinking that can go.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2020, 09:04 AM »
I had an Arctic Cat and strapped it to the rear rack. Now I have a side by side and it goes in the dump bed.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2020, 10:09 AM »
I have the Eagle Claw and a Striker Ice Transporter bag ..both serve me very very well. I wish they would design a hard case very similar to the Eagle Claw but half the height ..kind of a waste of space..I know you can add utility boxes/extra gear ..but would be nice ..make them stackable too .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2020, 11:35 AM »
My inline reels take the full depth of the eagle claw. And my 38" tickle just fits end to end lol. Might have to do some experimenting. Seasons almost over for the wheelers here anyways. Be back to throwing the case in the sled and dragging by hand in a few weeks

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2020, 11:52 AM »
I keep my rods in the Otter hardcase. It rides in the sled towed by the ATV, never had any issues

Offline meat sticks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2020, 04:25 PM »

On the back rack.  4 rods.  Flashers go in the milk crate.  Very quick access for hole hopping.  Rods go back in the case when the sled is on the trailer.  2 anglers the spare rods go in a hard case in the sleigh.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2020, 08:07 PM »
I use a piece of PVC or in this case ABS as a scabbard. You need to cut a slot maybe 6 inches long for the line, and at the top widen to 3/4 inch wide by 3/4 inch deep at the top to fit the reel foot. rods go in tip down.
I don't like the rods unprotected, like those holders that stick them up in the air. Quick draw when you reach the spot.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2020, 07:15 AM »
I carry most of my rods in individual rod tubes with padded reel compartments in the shanty. I did make rod holders on the snowmobile to keep two rods right at hand for fishing off the sled and running and gunning.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2020, 08:39 AM »
I've been thinking about this too
I have this bag https://www.amazon.com/ATV-Tek-ACBBLK-Black-Cargo/dp/B0041PKPYG
2 Tidy cat buckets fit perfectly in the rear, I may just make a bucket rod holder and throw it in the rear of the bag - I always carry my rods in buckets anyway
Option 2 is building some rod tubes and putting them in the rear bag - it'll hold up to a 32" rod

I had a plano hd rod case, the largest on they make and it was excellent but too bulky when I was walking all the time. If you want a hard case style solution, there are lots of great options out there

Catchin' Fish

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2020, 09:12 AM »
I made a box that attaches to my Ski Doo Linq system out of a Plano Sportsmans Locker. And then later in the season I added two rod holders for the outside for quick access.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2020, 03:05 PM »
I carry most of my rods in individual rod tubes with padded reel compartments in the shanty. I did make rod holders on the snowmobile to keep two rods right at hand for fishing off the sled and running and gunning.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Bart I am trying to figure out your mounts for the rod tubes you made?  Where did you find them and the pipe you used was it abs?

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2020, 03:30 PM »
dsupercat, I started out with TACO Rod Holders used on a boat rail. I removed the aluminum tube and replace it with a central vacuum ductwork tubing. 

Then I supported it with these, inserted where the hood secures. Had to trim the hood also.

I did a final fitting, sanding and paint. Hope this helps.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2020, 03:35 PM »
Thanks for all the photos and description!

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Nice DIY skills, Bart!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2020, 10:10 AM »
dsupercat, I started out with TACO Rod Holders used on a boat rail. I removed the aluminum tube and replace it with a central vacuum ductwork tubing. 

These look awesome! Nice work.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.