The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Memphremagog info  (Read 15671 times)

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Memphremagog info
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2020, 08:42 AM »
We fished Magog north of the islands on Saturday.  Generally very slow all around.  Perch were mostly small (although there was one 12 incher caught on a smelt on a tip-up) and smelt were nearly non-existent.  Caught maybe a half-dozen all day, which all got put out on tip-ups.  We did finish the day with a nice 5½-lb laker.  Hit a fathead on the bottom on a tip-up.

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:50 PM »
fished west of the southern twin yesterday.  Set up for trout and salmon with heavy medium shiners and kept getting big perch flags.  Not complaining just couldn't really get in the trout mode.  Kept about 20.  Bite really shut off around 1pm and left around 2:30.  Very surprised that I didn't have any spool spinners....Seems to be a larger than usual concentration of shacks up between Providence and the Northern twin.  Heard that's were the white perch are concentrated. 

Offline laker007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:47 AM »
sorry, stupid question. how to get the Eagles Point from Magog as there is no road to get there?

Much appreciated.

chian

Offline Raven71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:59 AM »
If you Google Eagle Point Wildlife area, it will give you the directions to get there. There is a road that goes right to the area.  The access to the lake is on the left. You won't miss it.

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:31 AM »
There are several ways to get out of Newport and head to "St Johns River" WMA or Eagle Pt.  Trucks were everywhere on Wednesday and there doesn't seem to be a pressure crack this year that usually runs East /West off the southern Twin. 

Has to be close to 18" of ice out there. 

Offline laker007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:19 PM »
Thanks, Raven71 and Leafmountain10:

did your guys drive to near Gull island for whites and smelt or just stay in US side?

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2020, 09:31 AM »
For many many years I've almost always fished West side of Bell Island (Southern Twin).  Wednesday I caught one white perch and had pretty consistent yellow action from sun up to around noon. 

Over the years I've explored around a bit and remember getting more whites on the North side of Black island (northern twin) over to the southern tip of Providence island.  I stay on the Vermont side only. 

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2020, 09:35 AM »
How much new snow on the lake?

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:46 PM »
Fished between twin islands yesterday 0 lake trout on tips or jigging. A few big perch and about a 2 dozen smelt. Marked quite a few schools of smelt but it was impossible to get them to bite. The only smelt we caught stayed towards bottom. Getting out there was difficult as there was no plowed road out to the twin islands except for a plowed path out of to the right side behind the inner island. We had to park off to the side of the plowed path out of the way of vehicles and trudge through the snow with a heavy sled to get to our spot. Thankfully the trip back was eased by a gentleman with a snowmobile who gave us a trip back to our rig. Hopefully someone plows a path out there for others to follow.
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2020, 07:31 AM »
How has the bite been up there and are people still driving out to the islands?
I’m thinking of making the trek this weekend.
Thanks for shopping & drill safe.  :)

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2020, 09:17 AM »
Its a mess snowmobiles are having a hard time.
Water and snow.
Another cold snap would be nice.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #41 on: Mar 13, 2020, 09:53 AM »
Anyone fish Magog this week hoping safe ice for the last weekend of the trout season.

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 14, 2020, 12:27 PM »
TRT

Fished Southbay Tuesday and still had 20 inches of ice.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #43 on: Mar 14, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Thank you, I plan on fishing up near border on west side. I heard good ice as of Th. I will have my Otter out tomorrow pop in day say hello...Charlie

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 15, 2020, 06:00 AM »
Have to work on getting my shack off the ice today or I would try to lake it out one last time.

Lets us know how much ice you have out there. I was driving by the launch yesterday and it looked pretty rough and open the first couple feet.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 16, 2020, 05:28 AM »
Fished there yesterday. Water seemed murky. Only marked 1 Laker in 5 hours!
Jig em up!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #46 on: Mar 16, 2020, 09:05 AM »
I set up at 530 with tip ups (no smelt) and small perch were like an infestation.
My only flag was a perch, caught dozens of perch and took home a meal.
Getting on the ice was no issue, i found 11 inches of good ice and another 4 of frozen crude.
Lake made ice all day an made a chore of checking tip ups before the sun finally popped out
about noon. I called it a day when the perch finally relented about 2pm.

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 21, 2020, 07:38 AM »
Anyone have any info on how much ice is out there? I saw southbay is starting to open up where the channels and inlets are.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #48 on: Mar 21, 2020, 06:01 PM »
Based on last Sundays ice, I think South bay should be fine. Don't forget the spud. I am hoping hoping to get one more meal of perch tomorrow.

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 29, 2020, 07:27 PM »
Any updates about the lake. Is there any ice left or is it time for the kayak? Thanks.

Offline Raven71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Mar 31, 2020, 12:10 PM »
OldChumBucket... I fished Magog on Saturday up by the border. There was 12 inches of ice - 6 of it was black ice still. We had a lot of rain Sunday/Sunday night, so I don't know how well it held up. Where I fished, the shore was getting ready to break up. I suspect after the rain, it did break up or submerge. Right now, about half the ice is gone off South Bay. There is still ice off the access, but not safe for walking. The main lake is open from the Clyde River out to Farrants Point. In the next few days it mostly likely will open up past Strawberry. There are some big cracks at Strawberry that were starting to open from the previous weekend. Time to get the kayak out.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 31, 2020, 03:13 PM »
A quick ice season for sure ! :(

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 31, 2020, 07:50 PM »
Cool. Thanks so much for the update raven71. Time to dust off the boat then.
Cheers  @)

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Aug 04, 2020, 08:57 AM »
Where is the access to South Bay? Is there good pike grounds within walking distance of the access? Looking forward to trying out this lake next season!

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Oct 02, 2020, 01:07 PM »
Where is the access to South Bay? Is there good pike grounds within walking distance of the access? Looking forward to trying out this lake next season!

The access is right past the Pick and Shovel store about 1/4 mile down on the left. and there is a nice drop off from the launch that goes from 6 ft to about 18 feet straight ahead.

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Oct 20, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Thanks for the info. Is there a bait store near by? Can't wait to get on the ice. Just need some cold weather!

Offline Raven71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Oct 21, 2020, 08:13 AM »
Big D's bait shop and Wrights Sport shop are within a few minutes drive of South Bay.

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 22, 2020, 06:43 AM »
Big D's bait shop and Wrights Sport shop are within a few minutes drive of South Bay.

Big D's bait shop will hook you up with a few extra minnows every now and again. Wrights will count minnow going into your bucket.

Offline 200 turkeys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 04, 2021, 01:16 PM »
   is anyone catching smelt in magog or salem ?

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 04, 2021, 02:25 PM »
I caught a couple by accident on Magog perch fishing last Thursday.  They came in (and quickly left) thick on the sonar.
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.