Author Topic: Are eelpout/burbot predators?  (Read 3491 times)

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
Are eelpout/burbot predators?
« on: Jan 30, 2012, 03:06 PM »
Just a question:
I got a burbot last night that upon opening it's stomach I found about a 10"- 11" trout partially digested.

My buddy and I were thinking that it had to have caught it or found a dead one somewhere and scavenged it

I'm curious if anyone out there who knows more about these fish might comment their thoughts.

The trout was surprisingly large in comparison to the burbot. 
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

fbksmtnman

Re: Are eelpout/burbot predators?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Burbot are a predatory species.  In some places the supreme predators.  They will feed actively in all water columns, and eat just about anything they can swallow.  But they are opportunists as well, and eat dead things frequently, hey its a free meal right..  They have a tremendous sense of smell which I feel contributes to their tendency to take just about anything.  I've always noticed that the fresher the bait the better the bite.   They do however spend most of their time towards the bottom Of the water column and that's why a sit and wait approach is among my favorite open water tactics,  Maybe because that gives me a better chance to sit around a campfire roasting dogs and drinking beer. Under the Hard Water jigging is a favorite tactic although you can still go with the sit and wait approach.  Take two rods and try both.
Hope that helps a little

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:38 AM »
Just a question:
I got a burbot last night that upon opening it's stomach I found about a 10"- 11" trout partially digested.

My buddy and I were thinking that it had to have caught it or found a dead one somewhere and scavenged it

I'm curious if anyone out there who knows more about these fish might comment their thoughts.

The trout was surprisingly large in comparison to the burbot. 

Burbot can be extremely predatory. I see your from Montana... so here is an example for ya... A burbot was pulled out of Fort Peck a few years ago by FWP and when its stomach was sampled it had small paddlefish packed in there. It wasn't a monster fish either, just an average run of the mill burbot. They have amazing sensory organs and very quickly key in on dead things as well... just like catfish and their whiskers, which is why stinky nasty cut bait is so effective. In fact, most FWP personnel use cut bait as a sampling method in catching burbot.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:02 AM »
Yeah, I don't know.  I mean you look at them and they kind of look like eels not a super predator.  Then again you never know.  They fight like heck.  They are perfectly camouflaged and they don't peck at baits, they SLAM 'em.  I think they are pretty cool. 
I think that a lot of the fish, trout included, are eating crawdads in that lake.  So...I could see Mr. trout cruising the bottom looking for Mr. Crawdad and BAM Mr. Burbot just got dinner.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2012, 05:44 PM »
a common misconception that burbot are bottom feeders.  I've heard the old timers say 'don't throw it back, they eat all the eggs of the game fish' Not true.  Burbot are definately a predatory fish.
Still counting.....

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:28 PM »
a common misconception that burbot are bottom feeders.  I've heard the old timers say 'don't throw it back, they eat all the eggs of the game fish' Not true.  Burbot are definately a predatory fish.

X2 i have heard the old boys say that as well i have caught bubot with big perch in there bellys.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:55 AM »
When I fish for saltwater burbot (usually in 150 to 450 feet of water), I tap the bottom with a 2 ounce jig and then wait for about 15 seconds and start all over again.  Works great for all species of fish that cruise along the bottom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.