Author Topic: Mr. BIG BUDDY HEATER PROBLEMS  (Read 7198 times)

shadow7663

Mr. BIG BUDDY HEATER PROBLEMS
« on: Jan 18, 2005, 05:54 PM »
I am not sure if this is in the correct forum but I am kind of new here and wanted to let everyone know of a problem that exists with the New BIG BUDDY heaters the 18,000 b.t.u. model

Recently myself and others I know have been having problems with their heaters. They will not light or when they do they will not stay lit for long. Today I called the customer service line and they told me this:

They have issued a stop use on all big buddy heaters, told their distributors to quarantine the product and informed all retailers to pull this item from their shelves. They have informed the National Consumer Safety Commission and are in a holding pattern until the N.C.S.C. tells them what to do. I was informed by them that they are expecting to do a recall of this model to fix the problem of some sort but do not expect any firm answer until around FEB. 1st. Do NOT use this heater for any reason.

Now the problem is one of the valves are leaking propane and could cause a serious fire or explosion resulting in injury or death.

I would advise anyone who has this heater in good working condition or not to call customer service at 1-800-251-0001. They will take your name, address and phone number and put you on a contact list to advise you what actions will be taking place.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mr. BIG BUDDY HEATER PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2005, 03:11 AM »
You can just take it back to where ever you got it from.  They shouldn't have any problem taking it back.  By the way, welcome to the family, shadow7663!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mr. BIG BUDDY HEATER PROBLEMS
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2005, 12:50 PM »
Guys,

Regarding the recall of the Mr. Big Buddy Heaters, the company has issued the following information:

BIG BUDDY/TOUGH BUDDY POTENTIAL SAFETY ISSUE
(Applies only to the following models: MH18B and MH18TB)
Updated January 19, 2005

We are currently investigating a potential safety issue with the control valve on the Big Buddy and Tough Buddy heaters. We have reported this issue to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission and are working with them on the direction we need to take. We have issued a stop sale to all of our retailers. Mr. Heater is working with the CPSC on a voluntary recall and expects that one will be announced shortly. In the meantime, we are requesting that you stop using the heater.

The recall will hopefully be issued in approximately 18 days. At that time we will ask you to either send us your heater for updating, or we will send you out a kit that you can install yourself (it will depend on when your heater was produced).

As a first step, we would like to begin to develop a log of owners. By January 25th, you will be able to register your name, address, phone and email on our website. Immediately upon receiving approval from the CPSC on our proposed direction, we will contact you to get your product updated.

Please note, this potential safety issue does not apply to the Mr. Heater Portable Buddy, MH9B (9000 BTU heater) or any other Mr. Heater product.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and continue to appreciate your support of our products and company. If you have any questions, please feel free to email us.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.