Vermont > Ice Fishing Vermont

New Rules

(1/4) > >>

Icefreak88:
I was just wondering what people think of the new Vermont Fish and Wildlife regulations on buying baitfish. Below you will find a the rules i got from the fish and wildlife site...read them and post your thoughts on how you feel.

Where can I find sources for approved baitfish for personal use?
The Department maintains a list of baitshops around the state that are authorized to sell baitfish. You can view this list by clicking here.

Why can't I use baitfish in the same waters where I catch them?
We are still in the initial phases of understanding the VHS virus and how it may fully impact fish populations in the long term. Until more is known, it is important to be as conservative as possible with regulations that apply to baitfish use. When checking anglers, it is impossible for Vermont game wardens to determine if baitfish in their possession truly came from the water on which they are fishing, or may have been illegally caught and moved to that water from somewhere else. To eliminate that uncertainty at this time, wild baitfish cannot be harvested in Vermont. The only exception to this is yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Anglers may harvest these fish species by hook and line, and use them for bait on the same waterbody. These fish cannot be transported from those waters where caught.

Why do I need to carry a sales receipt for my baitfish purchase?
Your sales receipt proves that the baitfish in your possession were legally obtained from an Department-authorized baitshop and not from the wild.

Why is my baitfish sales receipt valid for only 48 hours?
A baitfish sales receipt is valid for 48 hours to reduce the risk of people using baitfish in multiple waters. Since we do not know with 100% certainty whether the VHS virus is already in Vermont or not, 48 hours was judged to be adequate to give people enough time to use purchased baitfish, providing the use of the bait is limited to the waterbody designated on the sales receipt.

Can I take my baitfish home with me at the end of my fishing day?
No. Once you have used your baitfish on any waterbody, it cannot be transported alive from that waterbody, and must be properly disposed of. The VHS virus may be in waters for one year or more before being detected, and baitfish used in one waterbody may be exposed to the VHS virus, if it is present. If those baitfish are then taken to another waterbody it may spread the virus to new waters.

What do I do with my unused left over baitfish?
Leftover baitfish should never be released or dumped (live or dead) into waterbodies. You should always dispose of your baitfish and bait bucket water on land or in the trash. This will help reduce not only the risk of fish diseases like VHS, but other aquatic invasive species such as zebra mussels, spiny waterflea, Eurasian watermilfoil etc..

Can I use frozen baitfish from the wild?
No. Wild baitfish cannot be collected and used as bait. The VHS virus is not always killed by freezing.

Fish Farmer:
Some of these rules are still being tweeked. I was talking with a game warden yesterday about the laws regarding disposal. We both have the written 2008 lawbook.

We brought up, what to do with your dead bait at the end of the day? legally you can't dump it down the hole(2007 law book), can't dump it on the ice(considered trash?), can't dump it in the access area. Apparently on the receipt that anglers will get, says to bring the dead bait off the ice and dispose of it in the trash, which I guess would be legal if it is dead, but may still be considered illegal if you are transporting it off the waterbody.

We heard that Tom Jones(VT F&W Fish Health Biologist) has recently said that dumping it down the hole would be fine, considering it is CERTIFIED DISEASE FREE.

You CAN have live boxes for smelt and yellow perch provided they are caught in the same water and should be ok if you keep you bait for 48 hours in a live box/bucket on the ice where you will be using that bait.

Bailbuster:
Dump it in the wardens front seat. ;D

TRT:
We may be fortunate that the state biologists have decided on a plan rather than
letting this virus kill off our lakes. yes the new regs are a hassle. Yes catching smelt
on one lake to use on another is now illegal but WE ARE PRESERVING THE FISHERY.
Lets face it we are lucky to have some real quality fishing. I will be abiding by
the new regs an hope the true sportsmen/sportswomen out there will see the big
picture. 

Bailbuster:
I am sure we all can see the Big Picture and it is Lake Champlain it will have VHS sooner or later.That where the problem lies that is where they should focus the attention .Treat the lake and its tribs accordingly.Limit bait else where as certified only , but if I fish Seymour today let me take the same bait to Echo the next day.If I catch smelt up at the Twins let me drive to South bay and use it for bait.A little common sense should come into play.Nobody wants VHS.BB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version