Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Walleye

why can't i catch walleye thru the ice ?

<< < (2/4) > >>

olds-Pa:
John_Boy, like Mr. Seaguar said, try the low light times, especially at night. Use no more weight than necessary. I use only a #2 size swivel for weight and a # 6 snelled hook for terminal tackle. It works just fine and lets the shiner move about freely. As for depth, at night i've found the pattern is shallow near shore. I fish no deeper water than 6 feet. Some sets are only 3 feet of water. I use lights on the tip-ups and stand off the ice to cut down the noise. When the lights on, it's time to haul your walleye in. I use magnetic tip-ups and use no drag. Hope this helps ya.
                                                                                 olds-Pa  

John_Boy:
i have a good map of the lake that was put out by the fishing club . like i said i catch them during the warm weather months but have no luck when i'm on the ice.
i probably fish this lake harder then anyone else around .
but i don't have sonar and this will be a helpful tool .
 i have been out all night and all day at times. i catch perch crappie and gills but no eyes.
 thank you guys for your tips

walliceman:
A Sonar would help alot in your situation, but if all else fails i would go with a glow swedish pimple, or rocker minnow. Tipped with shiner head.

-Evan

FishDeepCreek:
heres what i found that works for me for walleyes on my home lake. I tend to use spoons more for walleyes, tipped with a piece of minnow, sometimes a whole small minnow. Swedish pimples, Kastmaster, in gold range worked well for me.Jigs tipped with minnows to work (my brother did good with a Whistler jig last season) I tend to target main lake points, for eyes'. Its seems like an hour before sunset is the maintime they turn on. Walleyes are very lowlight fish so to speak, they have very light sensitive eyes. Usally as the darkness starts to set they, tend to head from deeper water to shallow water. Its best to drill a bunch of holes before primtime to avoid spooking fish when they move in. Ill take my poratble depth finder, and cut holes at different depth in line. Ill then hop holes until I find a productive depth. As for jigging with spoons, most ever walleye ive hook during ice season has been flat on the bottom, this is where a good sonar like the Vex fl18 could be an advantage. I let my spoon/minnow combo go all the way to the bottom than reel it up an a few inches. When my rod is in low psotion it should allow my lure combo to be off the bottom a few inches. Now jig it by lifting the combo sharply with the rod and then rest at low postion. Its important that you let it pause ,as this is where most of your strikes will occur! Keep doing this, if no strikes or now fish on sonar, move to your next cut hole until you do find the depth.

John_Boy:
Thanks folks for all your help.  Hopefully mother nature will get nasty on us, and i can try some of these
suggestions. Went and looked at more sonar this afternoon and am going to order one next weekend.Again i would like to thank you .This is the best ice fishing website that i've found

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version