Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Tipups

beaver dam tip ups?

(1/2) > >>

shwung79:
 ???I recently aquired some old beaver dam tip up from an old timer.  They dont spin very easily like my new ones do.  What is the best way to lube them being that they are pretty much sealed.  And whats the best lube?  Thanks

GatorSlayer:
Best bet would be to send them back to the company, they will repack them and replace any parts that are failing (springs, nuts, etc) for a small charge. Otherwise you have to take the spool off and re-soder it back on. Blu-Lube is the best lube for re-packing shafts, made by HT Enterprises.

wolfeman:
It's not really hard to do. I used to do them for people in my spare time. You remove the spindle and put it in a vise. Heat up the end of the spool with a torch. Pull off the spool. Pull out the rod. Blow out all the old grease. Wipe clean. Re-grease rod and inside of spindle with white lithium grease. Re-solder spool back on to rod. Done.
Good for a couple of years.

Mugz:
If you can't get the Ht Enterprises grease. I use White Lithium grease. I've also used gun oil....works great and doesn't freeze.
Good luck....if they are that far gone, buy new ones.

BlackIce:
shwung- I took all mine in last year.  I drive by the place every day so it was easier for me to drop them off than to do it myself.  I paid $5 a piece to have mine done and gone over.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version