Author Topic: Underwater camera  (Read 669 times)

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Underwater camera
« on: Dec 29, 2023, 07:01 PM »
I just purchased an underwater camera. How far apart do I need to put my holes?

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Underwater camera
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2023, 09:27 PM »
As far away as water clarity will allow. I try to have at least 6 feet between camera and lure. I DIY'd an insulated hole cover that also holds the mo-pod(a must-have imo) and it keeps the hole from freezing too quickly since the camera hole is generally outside the tent.

The closer it is, the more chance of affecting fish behavior, and of having a fish wrap around the camera cord during the fight. Placing it further back also gives you a bigger sight window, which can be significant..

It's easy to get in the habit of keeping your lure in the view of the camera and ignoring the rest of the water column, so keep that in mind too.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2024, 06:52 AM »
I use a camera and flasher all the time. I drill 3 holes in a triangle pattern. The holes are equidistant from each other and about 18 inches from each other. I have never seen fish bothered by the camera but tangling with the camera wire at times occurs. I put the camera in the center hole and rods in each other holes. I switch the flasher btw the rod holes as needed.  This works for me.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2024, 12:15 PM »
I would agree with keeping it as far away as possible and still be able to see. Not because of any affect on the fish but to widen your view. It helps to see the fish approaching so you can see what attracts/spooks them. I've never seen any affect on the fish and have actually had two gar, a bullhead and a largemouth bass all try to eat my camera.
  If you don't have a motorized panner it helps to keep it within reach as they always seems to spin a little one way or another as the cord relaxes. I just use a bucket lid with a slit cut to the center and a cleat to wrap the cord around.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2024, 01:38 PM »
Modification for camera control...use a rubber ball with a slit in it

Knock off Jaws GoPro mount to hold the camera to the hoop pole

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348248.msg3707862#msg3707862
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.