Author Topic: Snowdog Registration is here - now.  (Read 1384 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Snowdog Registration is here - now.
« on: Jan 26, 2023, 08:46 AM »
Snowmobile vs Snowdog.  What is the Utah Code definition of a snowmobile.  It can be found in 41-22-2 (22) “Snowmobile” means any motor vehicle designed for travel on snow or ice and steered and supported in whole or in part by skies, belts, cleats, runners, or low pressure tires.  Snowmobiles  and Snowdogs are both supported by belts.  Snowmobiles are most commonly steered by the use of skies, but I can see where you might use low pressure tires.  Snowdogs have no skies, runners (whatever they might be) or low-pressure tires with which the Snowdog can be made to turn.  The belt (with cleats) on a snowmobile or Snowdog has no steering function that will make either of them deviate from straight forward or straight backward (if it has a reverse capability).  Yes, the Snowdog can be made to turn, but not by any of the items spelled out in 41-22-2 (22) - in whole or in part by skies, belts, cleats, runners, or low pressure tires.  Therefore, I maintain that a Snowdog does NOT fit the definition of “Snowmobile” in the Utah State Code (the law).

If you look at 41-22-2 (4), Subparagraphs (a) & (b), you will see that the Snowdog DOES fit the definition of an all-terrain type III vehicle.  41-22-2 (4) (a) “All-terrain type III vehicle” means any other motor vehicle, not defined in Subsection (2 – All-terrain type I vehicle), (3 – All-terrain type II vehicle), (12 – Motorcycle), or (22 - Snowmobile), designed for or capable of travel over unimproved terrain.  41-22-2 (4) (b) tells us what an all-terrain type III vehicle classification doesn’t include, and the Snowdog is none of those.

So why is the DMV adamant about classifying the Snowdog a snowmobile instead of an all-terrain type III vehicle?  Utah Code is very specific and clearly defines each type of vehicle.  There are five (5) specific items listed that are required for a vehicle to be defined a snowmobile.  The machine must be “steered AND supported” only by one or more of these 5 items.  None of these 5 items is used for steering the Snowdog.  The Snowdog is steered by the operator of the Snowdog applying sideways pressure to a handle bar.  The term ‘handlebar’ is NOT listed as a means of steering or support.  Therefore, I cannot understand how the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (UDMV) insists it should be registered as a snowmobile.

Is it possible that their reasoning involves the age-based uniform fees associated with each type of vehicle?  The fee for a new snowmobile is $45 for the first three years.  The fee for an all-terrain type III vehicle is $18 for the first 3 years.  HMMMMM?  Our government agencies certainly can’t be under pressure to generate as much income as possible – could they?  Tell me it isn’t so.  Anybody?

If you own a Snowdog (or a DIY version) I would ask that you immediately contact your Senator/Representative, the Governor, the Utah AG Office and the Utah DMV and voice a complaint. It also wouldn't hurt to contact our local television investigative teams asking them to look into this. The UDMV has told me that the determination for this new requirement to register Snowdogs came from the legislature. They would not/could not tell me which legislative office or person told them that. The latest changes to Utah Code 41-22-2 became effective 7/1/2022 from last years (2022) legislative session and there is no wording in the most current code that specifically defines a Snowdog as a snowmobile.

This isn't going to go away folks. It is happening right now. You DO have a voice in this, but you MUST speak up. DO IT TODAY! Please.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.