Author Topic: I'm done for this season  (Read 1062 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
I'm done for this season
« on: Mar 08, 2022, 09:31 AM »
The local Wasatch back lakes are filling so fast right now that it is almost impossible to get a machine on the ice.  We tried at Rockport yesterday and it was a no-go for sure.  We did see 2 walk-ons over on the west side, but machine access is history for this year.  We decide to drive up to Strawberry and got there at 10:30 AM.  The air temp was at -2*F when we got to the Marina.  Ice is still well over 2 feet thick and the edges are solid.  Fishing was slow.  My buddy caught 4; I caught zero.  Cost of fuel for that one round trip was over $100.  I'm done for the season.  As is the norm, I believe Strawberry will still be safe and ice fishable through the end of March - if you can afford to drive up there and back.  I'll pass at over $100 a trip and it's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better.  Y'all have fun if you still think its worth it.  I think Willard, East Canyon, and maybe Hyrum will get most of my business this summer at current and expected fuel costs this year.  See y'all on here next December.
 ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: I'm done for this season
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2022, 03:20 PM »
Sorry to hear that its done for you Bob, I can agree that the gas is getting ridiculous but I'm sure we'll be fishing for a bit still. Maybe ill see you on the soft water this year if I get the boat out and leave the trailer and SXS in Idaho for an extended period this summer. probably wont be hauling them around a lot unless the gas drops.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2022, 11:59 AM »
Got these eyes open water the past few days..  Going to New Mexico for Eyes next week.  Yah basically done with ice fishing! ;D

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2022, 12:04 PM »
Nice eyes!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.