Vermont > Ice Fishing Vermont

Vexilar opinions?

(1/5) > >>

EyERipLip:
Went with a friend and used a his vexilar
flx-28 this weekend. Had a lot of fun with it and even caught a few lakers. Now I’m wanting to buy one but having a hard time getting good info online what the big difference between the models is. Obviously price.  Anyone on here who has used both or either I would appreciate your opinion.
Thanks in advance

EyERipLip:
I meant to says between the flx28 and fl18 as that’s what’s available locally

QuinnTheEskimo:
I only have a 28 and have never used an 18 but I think the biggest difference is what the 28 will do automatically, select the range and eliminate most interference, and that you have a 5 color option in addition to the traditional 3 colors.  The 28 also has both 6 and 12 foot zoom option as well as low power and weed modes. 
Maybe someone that has both will have more info.

jrjach75:
I had an 18 and now have a 28. The differences I can think of off the top of my head:

The 28 will automatically set the depth range, the 18 is manual. The 28 can be used with manual depth settings as well.
The 28 in shallower water has more ranges. With the 18 you set it to 20ft, 40ft, etc. On the 28 you can set it to 10ft, 15ft, 20ft, 25ft, etc. This is nice as you can use more of the screen. I use the 10ft setting a lot.
They both have low power mode, the 28 also has weed mode meant to remove weeds from the screen and show the fish.
The 18 is fixed 3 color display. The 28 has a larger flat display with up to 5 colors, with different options. The screen on the 28 is brighter, easier to read in sun, and can be dimmed for night or inside a shelter.
the 18 has bottom lock, I think this is for using in open water from a boat. The 28 does not have this.
Like mentioned the 28 had 6ft and 12ft zoom modes, the 18 just has 6ft.

Big difference is the 28 comes with the proview transducer and the 18 has a 12degree transducer. You can swap any transducer to an 18 or a 28, but as is, that proview is really best used in deeper water, 20ft or deeper. I fish a lot of shallower water spots, less than 15ft, and ended up buying a 19deg transducer, and it made a big difference. That 12deg that comes with the FL18 is a good all around transducer and you wouldn't need to consider changing it for shallow or deep water.

The both work really well. For me, having the extra ranges for the shallower water I fish, the better screen for fishing outside, the autorange, and extra color options made the 28 worth the upgrade.

EyERipLip:
Thank you very much great info I appreciate it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version