The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boysen Woes  (Read 1384 times)

Offline musclewhitefish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world
Boysen Woes
« on: Feb 07, 2022, 03:03 PM »
Hello,

I am new to the forum and it looks like a good time.

I went out to Boysen last weekend for the first time at the tough creek area.

I bought some minnows from B&K and I was ready for a good time and potentially my first Sauger.

Unfortunately, the only fish I caught was a rainbow while I was setting up my ice tent.

On a 1/4 jig below a hookless kastmaster (used as kind of a flasher). 

I had fish on the flasher a good portion of the day other than from 3-5PM, but no idea what they wanted to bit.

Jigging spoons tipped with a live minnow or minnow head. Nope.

Jigs in sizes from 1/8 to 1/2 ounce with a wide variety of colors tipped with a live minnow or minnow head. Nope.

Jigging with a big drop, slight drop, or pause. Nope.

Deadsticking a live minnow on a jaw jacker. Nope.

Putting three live minnows on a treble hook and dead sticking. Nope.

Must have just been at the wrong spot or chose the wrong time of year.

Ice was 18" and it was on and off windy Saturday.

Maybe, next time.

Might have to head out again in a few weeks to see if I can catch my first Sauger.

Hopefully, people had better luck than I did.

Lol. Never experienced something like this where you mark fish a majority of the day, but they want no part of you.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Re: Boysen Woes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2022, 05:28 PM »
Preaching to the choir here.

Nowadays I usually do okay at boysen. Not this year. Same as you but I finally caught one and it was a 4” walleye. So I think it’s just a tough year all around.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2022, 06:46 PM »
Went out in the wind Saturday and tried a little shallower than I did during the derby and about the same as a few flags through the day and then nothing and no fish tip side. Jigged for a bit with no luck but a couple lookers. Had a co worker across the lake and he caught 4 walleye and a couple perch and a rainbow but he was out Friday through Sunday mid day. So just like boysen has been tough fishing.

Offline Metallife89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2022, 07:58 AM »
Went Saturday.  Marked perch as I moved out deep but they wanted  no part of what I was offering. At least you were marking fish. I only marked like 2 fish with one bite all day aside from the perch and I covered a lot of ground.

Offline musclewhitefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2022, 10:27 AM »
Preaching to the choir here.

Nowadays I usually do okay at boysen. Not this year. Same as you but I finally caught one and it was a 4” walleye. So I think it’s just a tough year all around.

That is a tough trip. I think I saw your video on it as well, on the youtubes.

I think next time, I may try a different spot.

There is a big pressure ridge at tough creek and even though some people drove side by sides over them, I want nothing to do with them. 

Maybe Muddy, because if the fishing is not good. Then I could go on Bass Lake and have fun catching micro-perch.

We will see, hopefully the Sauger are biting the next time.

Offline musclewhitefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2022, 10:28 AM »
Went out in the wind Saturday and tried a little shallower than I did during the derby and about the same as a few flags through the day and then nothing and no fish tip side. Jigged for a bit with no luck but a couple lookers. Had a co worker across the lake and he caught 4 walleye and a couple perch and a rainbow but he was out Friday through Sunday mid day. So just like boysen has been tough fishing.

Think it will pick up in a few weeks or should I just plan on next winter to try and get up there earlier?

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2022, 01:37 PM »
Never know if it will pick up or not but have to go out and try it, I am headed another direction this weekend to see if the walleye bite is on, maybe some perch and crappie as well, but it is still fishing.  Heard that the shiner population is up in Boysen they say that too much feed in the lake, but that is good as maybe not so many perch fry will be eaten and grow up so we can have more perch in the lake again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.