Canada > Ice Fishing Saskatchewan

Jiffy STX Blade sharpening S’toon

(1/2) > >>

mjs059:
Looking for advice on a place to get jiffy stx blades sharpened in Saskatoon. I have used one of the recommended places for years. My issue is the two sets of 10” blades I rotate through will not cut well the last 3 times they were sharpened there. I had chalked it up to a bad day sharpening but either they are not being sharpened to the proper angle or are no longer able to be sharpened. I asked the owner if they were still good and he says yes.
I have touched up the point on the flighting but that doesn’t help.
I have another 8” flighting and newer blades that I need to hold back the auger as they pull and cut so aggressively.

How do I know when the blades are completely finished?
Anyone had this problem solved by changing sharpening vendor?

Burbot Master:
I have been sharpening my own after watching a YouTube video " How to sharpen ice auger blades Jiffy and Mora". I bought a stone and have had good luck doing this. I live in a rural area and do not have easy access to the city, so this works well for me.

DoubleHookSet:

--- Quote from: mjs059 on Jan 09, 2022, 02:44 PM ---Looking for advice on a place to get jiffy stx blades sharpened in Saskatoon. I have used one of the recommended places for years. My issue is the two sets of 10” blades I rotate through will not cut well the last 3 times they were sharpened there. I had chalked it up to a bad day sharpening but either they are not being sharpened to the proper angle or are no longer able to be sharpened. I asked the owner if they were still good and he says yes.
I have touched up the point on the flighting but that doesn’t help.
I have another 8” flighting and newer blades that I need to hold back the auger as they pull and cut so aggressively.

How do I know when the blades are completely finished?
Anyone had this problem solved by changing sharpening vendor?

--- End quote ---

Hey there. Not sure who you've used but I found a guy in stoon last year on kijiji. I've used him a couple times and have had good results. He asks you for the brand and tells you before hand if he can do them.

mjs059:
I may go that route if I can get these two sets back to working condition or I get a new set

--- Quote from: Burbot Master on Jan 09, 2022, 05:08 PM ---I have been sharpening my own after watching a YouTube video " How to sharpen ice auger blades Jiffy and Mora". I bought a stone and have had good luck doing this. I live in a rural area and do not have easy access to the city, so this works well for me.

--- End quote ---

mjs059:
I have seen his ad.
May give him a try before I buy a new set and start again.

--- Quote from: DoubleHookSet on Jan 09, 2022, 06:37 PM ---Hey there. Not sure who you've used but I found a guy in stoon last year on kijiji. I've used him a couple times and have had good results. He asks you for the brand and tells you before hand if he can do them.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version