Author Topic: WALLEYE IN FARM PONDS  (Read 13152 times)

CHIPPER

WALLEYE IN FARM PONDS
« on: Feb 03, 2003, 10:07 AM »
WE HAVE JUST STARTED STOCKING WALLEYE IN FARM PONDS IN N.E. MISSOURI {LAST 5 YR.}
EVERYONE IS HAVING TROUBLE CATCHING THEM.  ANYONE WITH EXPERIENCE OR TIPS ON CATCHING THEM IN SMALL IMPOUNDMENTS--TIME, METHODS, BAIT--IS WELCOME TO RESPOND. STOCKED YELLOW PERCH AT THE SAME TIME AND ARE ASTOUNDED AT GROWTH AND CONDITION.  CAUGHT SOME YESTERDAY ON BOTH MINNOW AND WAXWORMS.  TIME MAY BE CRITICAL--HAVEN'T TRIED AT NIGHT.

bussman

Re: WALLEYE IN FARM PONDS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2003, 01:48 PM »
how samll is your pond? I have a 2 acre pond and was wondering if that is to small?

CHIPPER

Re: WALLEYE IN FARM PONDS
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2003, 01:02 PM »
we have placed walleye and perch in 6 ponds in the last 4-5 years.  the average size of the ponds is 1-3 acres.  perch up to 1 1/4 lb. and walleye up to 5 lb. have been caught.  stocking has been as high as 150 6 in. walleye and 150 yellow perch in ponds with established pop. of bass, bluegill, and crappie.  most only  30- 50 of each.  on 2 new ponds we placed fathead minnows {about 30lb. to the acre} and left for 1-2 years to establish good food supply.  we are in n.e. missouri where we get good ice for about a month a year. the craze has really caught on the last 2-3 years.  don't know if conclusion can be drawn, but gills are getting huge in these ponds at the same time.  were told by fishery bio. that this wouldn't work,  but walleye purchased and placed 5and 6 years ago in our city lake are doing great.  hope this helps  

gr8buzz

Re:Walleye In Farm Ponds
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2003, 06:08 PM »
Good to know! I can't wait to add walleye to the collection!

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Walleye In Farm Ponds
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2003, 11:47 PM »
I just repaired our pond last year in the fall. Over the winter I put abot 100 perch (3"-6") and 10 large golden shinners in it. I added about 50 pumpkin seed and 50 bass this spring and 100# of fathead minnows. I was considering walleye but the hatchery said I shouldn't add any unless they were 8" or more. Also they said pond walleye will live and grow ok but rarely reproduce. Anyone with more info please chim in?

George

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.