Minnesota > Ice Fishing Minnesota

Horseshoe Chain

<< < (3/3)

slipperybob:
You should be okay to drive out there since we had that week and half polar vortex.  I haven't gone out there this year yet.

james_gilb:

--- Quote from: slipperybob on Feb 24, 2021, 10:32 PM ---You should be fine to get access onto Horseshoe since we did have that week and half polar vortex.  I was kind of planning to go there yesterday and today for an overnight but since there was that rain/snow storm front coming in, I didn't feel like getting drenched.

--- End quote ---

With that being said what is my best bet for an access ? Should I be worried about venturing from the shoreline. Ideally just trying to find 15-30 FOW or a nice point. Again just trying to stay safe here ! With any luck I'll be able to send an update on a successful trip and wouldn't mind sharing how I catch them!

Monticatgeek:
The biggest thing with horseshoe lake is : DO NOT USE THE SUMMER ACCESS it sits right on the river and the ice thickness varies to much to risk it. the winter access for horseshoe is about a mile farther south then the summer access. going south from the summer access you will turn right to get on to horseshoe and turning left you would be on cedar Island. the other big thing with horseshoe is to stay away from the meth hole area. it is a area that stays open year round do to methane gas coming from the bottom of the lake. it is a 50 foot deep hole there.  the meth hole is not marked on the lake so be careful . it is kind of by where the river enters the lake. Also avoid areas/channel that go between the lakes. I will try to add a copy of the map here for horseshoe and cedar island :

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version