Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Perch

Bad tasting perch

<< < (2/4) > >>

taxi1:
Heterosporis?

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/GreatLakes/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=2661

esox_xtm:
I see plenty of differences in flesh color in same species fish ranging from white to yellowish to pinkish. Usually all good and cooks up white all the same. I agree that you are what you eat and perhaps a dietary choice has altered the flavor. Pity the cannibal that eats me. I eat waaaay too many hot peppers.  ;)

As far as parasites, the most common ones (black specks) won't hurt you or change flavor if fully cooked. It's more of an appearance thing. If you can't eat it you're not that hungry or just close your eyes and have a bite, it'll be fine.

To your flavor observation: I'd guess a dietary choice or post catch contamination.

Question: Did this (these) fillets have a mud/blood line? If they did and you didn't remove it that could cause an off flavor. Those are interesting. As I understand it, they have nothing to do with mud or blood but are the nerve endings of the lateral line. In pike I see them sometimes but usually not, in bass and stripers often and walleyes never. The fact that pike exhibit them only sometimes suggests that lateral line stimulation or over stimulation can cause this area to discolor situationally and affect the flavor. If pike can do it maybe panfish do too. Just supposin'...

esox_xtm:

--- Quote from: taxi1 on Feb 14, 2019, 05:23 PM ---Heterosporis?

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/GreatLakes/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=2661

--- End quote ---

Pretty uncommon parasite...

defish:
With larger perch I remove the dark colored meat (aka bloodline) as I do with walleye, northern, etc.  With most kinds of fish, the larger ones aren't as good eating as the "eater sized" ones.

rdhammah:
I fished a new pond last year and was catching white perch. was super cold and ice built up on the rod tip. I melted it by putting the tip in my mouth. the ice tasted like mud. my buddy, who took the fish home said that the fish tasted like dirt. We don't fish there anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version