Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Perch

Wolfram fiskas jigs

<< < (2/3) > >>

BigSam007:
Thank you very much guys for your help! I know very well that spoon and jigging raps works very well for perch but the issue is that the area I fish is full of pike and I'm worried that I'll catch pike with those.

BigSam007:
I would also like to add something.  Above I said I will be using an ultralight rod but since nothing has been bought I want your opinion on this. Should I use a 22in ultralight rod or a 26in light action rod. In both cases I'm probably going towards St Croix avid ice rods.

Bucket Rump:

--- Quote from: BigSam007 on Dec 23, 2017, 02:51 PM ---I would also like to add something.  Above I said I will be using an ultralight rod but since nothing has been bought I want your opinion on this. Should I use a 22in ultralight rod or a 26in light action rod. In both cases I'm probably going towards St Croix avid ice rods.

--- End quote ---

I fish mainly in a shanty in less than 20' of water so the shorter UL would be my first choice for pannies using lightweight jigs, although I prefer 25". Are you planning on using a bobber of some sort? Line watching? 

BigSam007:
I rarely fish from a shanty since I usually set tip up and downs for pike and/or walleye so the length of the rod isn't a problem with me. I don't plan on using a bobber or dead sticking bait because of my tip down who are mainly set up with small minnows for perch. My goal with the jigging rod is to use jigs and small plactic bait.

I just looked around for rods and I settled on 3 different models and I would like your input on them.

1) St-Croix Avid Glass 26" Light
2) St-Croix Mojo Ice Rod 28" Ultralight
3) Fenwick Elite Tech Ice 25" Ultralight

Bucket Rump:
The Fenwick Elite Tech is the only one on your list that I have experience with and it's a rod I really like - it's got some backbone and a soft enough tip in that UL action to work with lighter line and jigs.  Check Amazon for prices - last I looked the cost was pretty reasonable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version