Author Topic: Keeping Bait ALIVE!?!?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline StrikeMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont be a GoatBoy!!!
Keeping Bait ALIVE!?!?
« on: Jan 22, 2003, 01:06 PM »
Can you guys share you tips on keeping you live bait ALIVE!?!?
Those Mason-Dixon boys aint got nothin on the PA GOATBOYS!!!

Bud_Boiteau

Re: Keeping Bait ALIVE!?!?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2003, 07:13 PM »
I have found that a little aerater that you can buy at wall-mart for About 5.00 dollars . you may need to buy the hose for it at about 1.50. I put a clip on depth finder on the one end to hold down the hose in the minnow bucket. If you can kink the hose a little to make smaller bubbles the smaller bubbles put more air into the water and the minnows seem to live longer. If you change the water every 2-3 days I've kept minnows and shiners alive for 3-4 weeks. Good luck.. :

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Keeping Bait ALIVE!?!?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2003, 10:06 AM »
Strikemaster,
I do know one thing, use styrofoam!  Yes they are flimsy and break easy, but they breath.  I used to put a styrofoam minnow bucket inside of a plastic bucket and never lost my bait.  I then used to take one of those styrofoam picnic coolers that you can buy at wally world and fill it with non chlorinated water.  Place the bait from the bucket in the cooler and feed a small aquarium aerator into the cooler with a sandstone diffuser.  Total price of bucket, 110 pump, tubing, stone, cooler was about 20 bucks.  Remember to keep the bait in the coldest place in the house, and remembe to keep the cover on the cooler!  I found out the hard way when you wonder what those little dried up anchovies laying on the floor stinken the place up!  Hope this gives you a battle plan- Barleydog  ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.